PDA

View Full Version : Toadfish warning

bidkev
27-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Took the dog for a walk down by the Pine this morning. The little bugger brought me a stick to throw but when I took it from his mouth I saw it was a dried up toady.

20 minutes later he was spewing and foaming at the mouth. Within an hour he was rocking on his legs, shivering, and taking himself off to where we couldn't get to him. Couldn't stand at all......A real sorry sight :'(

Took 5 hrs for him to come right and the toady wasn't in his mouth for more than 10 seconds. I wonder if the mindless pricks that throw 'em onto the piers, banks and rockwalls realise just what would happen if a toddler handled one and put it in his mouth. Idiots!

kev

Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough meetings are held to discuss it. (Mitchell's Law of Committees)

fish2eat
27-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Can't stop the whole family from eating vermin eh Kev..........I suppose if he sees his master eating the stuff then its "good enough for me"......woof

nasty stuff...

rossco
27-04-2006, 05:09 PM
good one fish2eat

cheers
rossco

bidkev
27-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Can't stop the whole family from eating vermin eh Kev..........I suppose if he sees his master eating the stuff then its "good enough for me"......woof

nasty stuff...

LMAO ;D ;D ;D

kev

Anything labeled "New" and/or "Improved" is not: the label means the price went up.

lippa
27-04-2006, 07:32 PM
the little bastards make a mess of you sp's too. hope fido recovers well

cheers

lippa

fishingnottake
27-04-2006, 07:50 PM
the spewing is probably what saved him, but the fact it was dried out wouldn't of helped, would of concentrated the poison on the surface of the skin, you shgould wash your hands thouroughly after handling a dried toady, you run the real risk of transferring it from your hand to your mouth.

bidkev
27-04-2006, 07:54 PM
the little bastards make a mess of you sp's too. hope fido recovers well

cheers

lippa

Thanks lippa. had to have the collie put down a couple of weeks back and got this scruffy little mutt from the pound as the young feller was greiving. Unfortunately, he'd been on the streets (not the young feller) ;D a while and eats everything he finds......live bull ants seem to be his favourite tucker atm ;D

He seems ok now and if nothing else, we can at least recognise the symptoms in future. Dunno if you've seen the movie but he looked like that drunk horse in cat ballou ;D The only way he could stay on his feet was to lean against a tree stump ;D

kev

A person is getting along the road to wisdom when they begin to realize that their opinion is just another opinion.

bidkev
27-04-2006, 07:59 PM
the spewing is probably what saved him, but the fact it was dried out wouldn't of helped, would of concentrated the poison on the surface of the skin, you shgould wash your hands thouroughly after handling a dried toady, you run the real risk of transferring it from your hand to your mouth.

Yeah, the deckie looked it up in Grants and the fact that there is no antidote made her look worse than the mutt ;D

Dunno how the young feller would've coped if he lost another dog :'( He's fine now. Amazing how they bounce back when one minute they look like they're on death's door.

kev

A person's character and their garden both reflect the amount of weeding that was done during the growing season.

thedeckie
27-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Kev,
Send that scruffy little bloke down to my place,Ive got bucket loads of bull ants down here,could feed him for a week!!!!!!!

Cheers
Paul

fishingnottake
27-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Dunno how the young feller would've coped if he lost another dog :'( He's fine now. Amazing how they bounce back when one minute they look like they're on death's door.

kev

A person's character and their garden both reflect the amount of weeding that was done during the growing season.
yeah we had the same thing with our farm dogs, one got bitten by a snake, vomitting seziures the whole thing, disapeared under the house, was just gritting my teeth on the second day to have to go crawl under the house to retrive the body when he came bounding out, right as rain, as well as my favourite cattle dog, got routed by a cranky sow while we were fencing, bleed so much his gums were snow white, vanished under the house (sensing a theme, i think they figured we couldn;t shoot them under there :|) few days later he hobbles out drink a full bucket of water then sits under a shady tree.

gogecko
28-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Our Lab chewed on a cane toad and was starting to foam up. We rang the vet straight away, and he said to wash the mouth out with salty water which we did. He came good in 10 mins, and had no further problems.

He doesnt eat cane toads any more, but he would still like to get a chomp on the fruit bats. He bailed one up in the corner of the yard, and I saved the dog just in time. We had asked him to guard the mango tree! Oops, our fault. Youve gotta watch em all the time.

ANdrew

Gbanger
28-04-2006, 03:56 PM
found my dog had ripped the toilet cleaner thing hanging in the bowl out of the loo, i think he loved it...

lippa
28-04-2006, 04:31 PM
haven't seen the movie kev, but seen a couple mates as you describe after a big night on the sauce!!!! ;D

cheers

lippa

lippa
28-04-2006, 04:32 PM
oh, and gbanger, can i borrow your deckie? ;)

thanks in advance

lippa

bidkev
28-04-2006, 05:22 PM
oh, and gbanger, can i borrow your deckie? ;)

thanks in advance

lippa

I'll settle for the gear ;D

kev

Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.