PDA

View Full Version : No brainers fishing the brissy wharf wall

LCC
27-04-2006, 09:23 PM
This will probably upset some punters but it has to be said.

Can anyone tell me that the fourteen or so boats that now anchor in 300 meter section of wall just past the wharfs have used a single ounce of the fishing brain to find there catch or are they just a bunch of fishing sheep that are now setting about as quickly as they can decimating the resident school of fish that live in that part of the river?

It appears that the majority of these boaties used to fish the sunken wall at Pinkenba, that's where I generally fish now(usually on my own) and do just as well as I have done near the wharf.

After one article in a fishing magazine you can not get near that wall, and I can guarantee that just about every fish these guys catch over the 35cm goes straight into the esky.

The disappointing thing is that these people will continue to fish this part of the river until there is nothing left to catch.

If any of you guys read this post, give it a rest, try to use your noggin and think of different ways to improve your catch and try something new!

Cheers
Stephen

thedeckie
27-04-2006, 10:11 PM
LCC,
Thats not a secret fishing spot,it has been popular there for months.obviously you and 13 other boaties had the same idea.

A fishing article may have helped to contribute to its popularity but it has been getting flogged for ages and with the onset of winter dont be suprised to see another 50 boats there.

Cheers
Paul

markpeta
28-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Never fished over that way before but sounds to me they are just trying to get a feed nothing wrong with that. Would you say that about any other fishing spot there are big groups of boats everywhere sure it is the same around Mud Island too. Looks like someone couldn't get into there spot.

hussy
28-04-2006, 08:15 AM
no wonder you mostly fish on your own

markpeta
28-04-2006, 08:32 AM
no wonder you mostly fish on your own
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fish2eat
28-04-2006, 09:10 AM
There is definitely what I call "the cluster effect" in human beings.

If you are first to anything, people arriving after will most likely assume you know something and will get up close.....its not just fishing

Burley_Boy
28-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Well I figure that the fish will learn.... People fish the Gold Coast Seaway quite heavily and there are people every 10 yards along the southern rocks fishing the drop.
Most of these people get very little fish and probably loose more gear than they loose a bait to a big fish. So is the area decimated? Absolutely not, bring a snorkel and take a look and you'll see large fish turning their nose up at poorly presented bait. I mean schools of fish and plenty of them.
What I'm trying to say is that as the fish get aware, and I'm sure they do, they get harder to catch but that doesn't mean there are less fish there but that the smart ones don't take most of the baits presented.

Nothing wrong with people getting aware of our environment and wanting others to care as well so thats a good thing Stephen, and attitudes certainly change due to education and propaganda,right or wrong.
However keeping legal fish and returning undersize is a great start. ;)

LCC
28-04-2006, 09:50 AM
This may appear to be sour grapes from the LCC, and I must admit it annoyed me the first couple of times but if anything it helped my fishing brain expand and think of different ways to produce quality fish, I have not bothered fishing that spot for a couple of months but was told by a friend of mine Monday night as he was heading to the bay the wall was being flogged again! 14 boats.

I have spent the last 15 years learning about the river and spending many an hour fishing with no result, but learning. These particular types of fisherman I guess are just in it for the feed factor where I am in it for the challenge.

As for the spot be known about for a couple of months the wharfs have been there for as long as Ii can remember and I have lived in Brisbane for 36 years, Born and bread.

This post was meant to get people thinking and it has achieved just that!

Cheers
Stephen

Fishin_Dan
28-04-2006, 04:42 PM
These particular types of fisherman I guess are just in it for the feed factor where I am in it for the challenge.

That's your answer right there mate. There are still people fishing out there who are purely there to get as many feeds as they can. They will take whatever they can, when they can. They don't want to know anything about the spawning run of flathead, or the best tides to get big bream, etc, etc. They just want to drive the boat from point A to point B, put a line in and catch some fillets.

Most people on here are more about fishing as a "sport" as per say. We enjoy catching them, but we also enjoy letting them go. But we've all kept a feed ourselves...

The best thing about it for you though is that moving away from the crowds will get more fish ;)

2iar
28-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up LCC, I'll check out the brissy wharf wall sometime soon. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,
No brainer

:D

(Only kidding mate, it's a curly one alright) :-/

Good luck,
Mike

3Vs
28-04-2006, 09:09 PM
They are all there for the prawns at the moment.

straddie
29-04-2006, 12:32 PM
3Vs the dodge-em cars antics are funny to watch down there at the moment with the prawns, just got to feel sorry for the odd bloke that sets himself up nicely before dusk for a quite fish only to be swarmed upon by 12ft tinnies thicker than the mozzies at Mud Is ;D

LCC, what can I say, just the way it is everywhere. There are places I used to fish in the river and bay where I was the only one there or at times if it was really crowded with one or two other boats, now 20 to 30 boats coming and going from those same places is common. I just find other spots where people aren't and try to keep a very low profile fishing different areas infrequently so as not to attract attention to them.

Thinking about it if I was just starting out, didn't have a clue and saw a show or read an article where they were getting something I wanted to catch then I would probably end up following the crowd as well. Especially how some of these spots get talked up way beyond what they ever were by some of the journos, it's not hard to understand why people flock to these places.

At least you have put in the time and probably have a pretty good knowledge on how, when and with what to catch your targets so now you just have to find some new wheres unless you want stick it out with the crowds.

PinHead
29-04-2006, 12:37 PM
These particular types of fisherman I guess are just in it for the feed factor where I am in it for the challenge.

That's your answer right there mate. There are still people fishing out there who are purely there to get as many feeds as they can. They will take whatever they can, when they can. They don't want to know anything about the spawning run of flathead, or the best tides to get big bream, etc, etc. They just want to drive the boat from point A to point B, put a line in and catch some fillets.

Most people on here are more about fishing as a "sport" as per say. We enjoy catching them, but we also enjoy letting them go. But we've all kept a feed ourselves...

The best thing about it for you though is that moving away from the crowds will get more fish ;)

Not sure most are of the C&R brigade

masterdusky
29-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Umm can anyone tell me what mag and what the article was..... not that Ill be fishing there