PDA

View Full Version : Parachute flares.

Darryl
30-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Last night on my way home my radios in my boat decided to play hard to get, turned out to be a crook wire connection on the bus bar this morning when i looked.
Hence the reason for this post. Around 9/10 pm off Cleveland point 2 parachute flares were set off, i was near coochie and heading home to Russell and stopped when i saw them, tried to rewire the radios but didn't want to burn anything out and had no success(hence i couldn't radio anyone.)

Did anyone else see these flares?

Darryl.

rando
01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Darryl
You may have performed a breach of maritime law by not going to assist a vessel in distress. That is my understanding anyway, Does anyone else support that view or am I wrong.
Regards
rando

blaze
01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
not a breach if you endanger your vessel or crew (no communications).
I would have rung the police and reported it when I got to a ph, that way you know you have done all you could.
cheers
blaze

Darryl
01-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Rando the wind was blowing 25 knots, and had an outgoing tide ,and if you dont know the area between Peel and Cleveland point i can tell you it can be nasty when it's wind against tide. Another factor was a short in my own boat which is why i was heading home in the slop.

Also mate i didn't have the fuel and the 175 would have made me a statistic as well. I did however wait in the area for 10 minutes and rang Redland Bay Police and reported it. As Blaze stated i would have put myself in danger with no gps/radios having to go another 5 k's back. This is the first time i have had a failure of electrics in my boat and i felt pretty helpless. I tried to sort the short but it was to rough, then i would have simply use the vhf/27meg to radio the authorities.

I have my commercial ticket and did what i could. Funny thing is that there must have been 200 boats in the Bay in the area and i'm sure some were AFishers but knowone saw it.

Darryl.

rando
01-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Darryl
Mate I was not pointing a finger, it #was a technical point , and I probably should have used different language.
1. It is always the skippers call, as to where he puts his vessal.
2. I am not familiar with your vessal or its capabilities
3. Never should you endanger you vessal or crew
4. As blaze said no emergency call so possably a hoax
5. Yes, I am very familiar with the area between Peel ,Coochie ,Cleveland & Manly, not the best spot for small boats with wind against tide.
I did not mean to embarrass you at all and am sorry if that was the result, only meant to inform.

On your last point, that no-one else saw these flares ,,,just how many rums ( for snakebite & fatique only of course ;)) had been taken
cheers ;D ;D
rando

Darryl
02-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Rando, it's all good mate, i didn't take it in a bad way at all. My boats 18.9 foot but with the electrics down and not knowing the area i couldn't go there.

No rum was had ::) ;D ;D

I would put money on those balloon things that the kids made that set fire to straddie on the weekend, i would say the turds lit a few at Cleveland before they jumped on the ferry over to Straddie...

Or maybe it was the snake bite and maybe to many rums were had. :-/ :-/ ;D

Darryl.

mulisha
02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
What coulour where they????