PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Cleaners?

charleville
01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey guys,

Any recommendations on powerful pressure cleaners to clean boat trailer plus concrete, flaking paint etc?

Likewise any recommendation on dealers in the Brisbane area, please?

Gerni and Karcher seem to be the main names that I know of.

Thanks...

Blackened
01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
G'day
# # Forget those 2. Go and check out the lavor. Trade tools have them. Make shure you look for ceramic and brass pumps.
Dave

fullysik
01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
G'day Charleville, I definitley have to agree with Blackened, Lavorwash are the way to go, talked to many a person who is unsatisfied with Karcher. They cost a little more, mine was $399 for the 1850 P.S.I and have had it for 3 years, used it heaps and hasn't given me a problem. I bought it from Tradetools too, I'm pretty sure they have the dealership on them. Whatever you do don't go for the cheapie chinese $60 dollar jobs, you really do get what you pay for. Hope it's of some help for you mate.

Cheers.....Dave!!

MulletMan
01-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I bought a Ryobi 2000 psi that works well amd has all brass fittings etc.
Not over impressed with the cheap PVC casing but other than that the Lavorwash is top quality.

finga64
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Ceramic and brass pumps are the go. ;)
Also ask about pump rebuild kits for availability and price.
I've never had to fix a Lavor so can't be too bad :)

charleville
01-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys. :)

I have not given lavor a thought before. Will have a look at them.

Many thanks......

thesimmos
02-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I got myself a Bosch 115 Aqua plus or something from Bunnings 1650 i think it was PSI and it gives me excellent power...

Problem with one of these things is they are ment to save water and i dont dispute that however.... do those who have brought one find that you start gernying one thing and then you find something else that u would like to try it on... then another and another and another... by the end you have used all the water in both the brisbane and gold coast dam's...

anyways yeah i am happy with mine and it has done really well...

If you want real power tho you may need to use something petrol powered.

Here is a link to a site that shows the washer and some information.. http://www.gardencut.co.uk/product_details.asp?pid=1752

charleville
03-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks thesimmos.

I found a great article on how to compare the performance of these things using the formula

Cleaning Effect = Pressure (bar) x Flow (litres/min) / 600 #found at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/pressure_washer_faq.htm

"a cleaning effect of 1.0 is just about OK; 1.5 is reasonable, and 2.0 is good.

Hire shop machines are going to be about 2.3, just about the most powerful motor you can run on 230 volt single phase.

A 13 HP Honda petrol machine can develop a cleaning effect of about 6.75."

So doing some comparisons, the Bosch 115 Aqua has a Cleaning effect of 1.2 at its maximum pressure. #NB the author of the article stresses that it is more important to look at the working pressure which will be much less. #From what the author of that article says, it probably has a CE of 0.9.

The Lavor machine mentioned above has a cleaning effect of 1.6 at its maximum pressure. #For the same reasoning as above, the actual CE at working pressure is more likely to be at around 1.2

The top Gerni domestic machine, the Gerni Extra, works out at a Cleaning Effect of 1.69 but that is at its quoted working pressure.

I have not had time today to check prices today but it is interesting to see that the Gerni model has an RRP of $990 but can be bought online from a Melbourne firm for $825 plus delivery.

For my immediate needs, I probably should hire a petrol driven one but at $105 per day for the petrol driven ones, I am tempted to buy the biggest electric one that I can use on single phase domestic electricity.

(BTW if you think that all of this shows that I research major purchases to death, you should have seen the research that I did when I bought my boat four years ago and my third car 25 years ago. #;D ;D ;D) #Similarly for my house which I designed myself - ugliest house in the street but built to withstand whatever mother nature can throw at it! # ;D ;D ;D)

2iar
03-05-2006, 09:40 AM
(BTW if you think that all of this shows that I research major purchases to death, you should have seen the research that I did when I bought my boat four years ago and my third car 25 years ago. ;D ;D ;D) Similarly for my house which I designed myself - ugliest house in the street but built to withstand whatever mother nature can throw at it! ;D ;D ;D)

No, I think what this research shows is that you're not spending enough time fishing. Get your arse out on the bay, some fish in the boat and some of those entertaining reports written.

They'll be carting you back off to work at this rate... ;D ;D ;D

Good luck,
Mike

choppa
03-05-2006, 07:38 PM
For my immediate needs, I probably should hire a petrol driven one but at $105 per day for the petrol driven ones, I am tempted to buy the biggest electric one that I can use on single phase domestic electricity.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D,,i went in to my local hardware to buy some brackets for a project,, and saw a ""scorpion"" brand 2 stroke petrol blaster on special,,,,,,, checked the wallet and thought;;; ya never know i might need one of those one day,,,, and bought it

got it home and wasn't to impressed with the over all power,, so i ""tweaked"" it a bit,, (tim the tool man choppa),,,, the end result was great,, yeh i probably burned the warranty, but what the hell,, its funny watching chop jr hit the wand trigger and get blasted back on his bum,,( evil choppa ) and like thesimmos,,, everything gets a wash,,, (mr sheen choppa ),,

now that phase is over,, mrs choppa has barred me from the hardware, and she collects the junk mail from the mail box,, just in case another glossy mag turns up with more specials inside,,, (frustrated choppa) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D