PDA

View Full Version : fishing trolleys

mattooty
28-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I fish alot along breakwalls and always cart all my gear along in my hands and bags and buckets. Just bought an old style golf cart thing, and am hoping to put a bucket and tub on it somehow. Would be interested in finding out how you all drag all your gear around.
Matt

finga64
28-04-2006, 08:45 PM
I use a boat to cart my fishing gear :)
Seen some flash carts though. Bit like my grannies shopping trolley only bigger and better :)
Cheers Scott

mattooty
28-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Hahahahahah yeh i got a boat but when i cant take the boat out coz its too rough and its 7pm, big jew just sit there calling out my name. lol
Just looking for suggestions if anyone has any little bits of advice about making something
MAtt

aussiefool
29-04-2006, 03:05 AM
If I'm land base I take a back pack with the bare min. with a "Tailor "sholder bag folded up in the bottom rod and gaff in one hand and torch in the other. Just fill the bag with Jews and slip over the sholder for the return trip ;)

el_carpo
29-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Hi Mattooty,

There are many ways to haul your fishing gear for shore fishing. I've used and seen others use children's wagons (Red Flyers for example) and they work pretty well. I use a short rope to "lengthen" the short handle. Lots of guys along the Lakefront here use laundry carts (shopping carts). You can throw stuff together and come up with some pretty handy inventions. I once saw a guy using a dollie that had 5 gallon plastic buckets attached and he did fine. My brother set up a shopping cart once and replaced the hard, solid wheels with small inflatable wheels from a child's bicycle. Made for a much smoother haul and it worked even over rocks.

There was an article in a fishing magazine (can't remember which one) that showed one guy's bicycle set-up. It was pretty neat. He made rod holders out of PVC pipes and had a wire basket and more. It hauled all of his gear and he was very mobile. He mainly used it for river fishing. If they weren't biting in one spot, he would just hop on his bike and speed off to another place miles away and in fast time. Not too shabby. You couldn't do that on foot. If I lived closer to a river or lake, where a bike would be useful, I would definately set up a rig like that.

It's a pretty fun project and useful too.

Also, remember, if people laugh at your invention, you will get the last laugh when they are carrying all of their heavy gear back to their car at the end of a long day fishing in the sun. Anyone who has done that knows that's true. Not fun. :P

If you come up with something really great, you can sell them and buy a bigger boat!

Good luck, good inventing and good fishing.

EC

finga64
29-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Well said El-carpo. That brings back some memories.
When I was a kid thirty old years ago I had the Malvern Star set up like that. It had a rod holder each side of the back axle (hose clamps to the uprights that hold the rack up) and a big wooden box (cause milk crates weren't around then) the hold the tackle box (round alvey) some spinners and lures, a knive, a hat, some matches (if we caught something it was lunch :)) and some sambos (cause we rarely caught something :()and off my mate and I would go chasing perch around Lismore for the day. Excellent fun and kept us out of trouble for the day.
Looks like your in the perfect spot too Mattooty for the trolley. Lots of accessable river/ocean frontage down that way.
Pity your not closer to Brissy. We could make a beauty 4 wheeler out of alloy with pump up tyres, an esky holder, rod holders, fishing license holder, sola panel for the l.e.d. lights, knive holder, mobile phone holder. Polish it all and call it the spinner ;)
Mmm got me thinking now ::)
Cheers Scott

Freeeedom
29-04-2006, 08:28 AM
The basic rule when shore based fishing involving a bit of walking is "travel light". I carry a foam cooler (with a shoulder strap) to hold my bait, cold drinks and (rarely) food. I rest a bucket, with a lid, on the cooler to give me a live bait container if I need it. I then have a shoulder bag which contains the minimum tackle I will need, rod holders. towel, torch, track suit, aerogard, knife and another rolled up shoulder bag (to carry extra fish in). This means that all of the weight (except my rods) is carried through my shoulders and not at the end of my arms. With this arrangement it is fairly easy to hike a few kilometres into hard to get to spots.
On the rare occasions I want to carry a lot of gear some distance I use a trolley like the one's delivery men use to move boxes. I set the cooler on the base plate and pack the rest of the gear on top of it. All of this is held in place with a couple of stretchies. This lets me take things like the cast net which is too heavy to carry any distance.
Cheers Freeeedom

mitch_05
29-04-2006, 08:48 AM
saw some great set-ups at urangan jetty in hervey bay. people made little trolly's out of either treated wood or thin metal, 2 eskys one with a cheapo aerator for live bait and rod holders on the side plus room left for tackle box plus they didnt weigh all that much.

mitch

Lucky_Phill
29-04-2006, 08:51 AM
The trolley, golf bag carrier is a good idea. Big wheels for gettin gover the big rocks etc. Customize it to suit your purposes.

On the Urangan Peir at Hervey Bay, the ' ferets ' there have got this down to a fine art. They utilize a four wheel trolley ( due to fairly flat surfaces ) and their equipment inventory comprises of Live bait tank, Rod holders with up to 6 rods ( game ), large esky, serious tackle box, flying gaff, and other stuff I dare not mention !

Certainly if you are traversing rock walls etc, you have to travel light. The golf buggy ( bag type ) would seem to be the go. Take off bag, place milk crate at bottom, place live bait bucket in crate, make rod holders out of PVC and strap to outside of crate. Maybe even carry small gel cell battery to keep aerator going. If you want to keep ya fish, an esky will have to be taken, but to suit the size of the fish you intend catching. Being landbased, there is no requirement for you to keep you fish whole, so a quick fillet in-situ would be advisable ( unless you need evidence of fishing exploits to the Cheese and kisses ). ;) :-X

Other than the above, I used a knapsack type backpack. Fish fillets went into a coles bag, with an ice brick ( 2 x frozen coke bottles ) around it for the trip back to the vehicle, then into something more substancial.

Good luck,

Cheers Phill

Maria
29-04-2006, 09:11 AM
When I used to fish the sandpumping jetty or the seaway wall I'd use one of those trollies you cart your luggage to the airport on....one of those little fold up jobs. Had the esky on the bottom, tackle box on top, rods in my hand. Worked well.

Cheers

Ben

rodbender
29-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi MATT when my miss comes home ial post 2 picture of the units i use 1 is a golf bugy with a milk crate i use it on the beach the outher is a garden troller that i brought from bunnings i use that one when i fish the Urangan & kingfisher peir's. the best place to look for things to make ur trolley is ur local tip.

cheers Reg

bidkev
29-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I need a trolley with my mob ;D

"salvaged" ;) ;D shopping trolley with the sides cut down and baby seat removed. Pipe strapped on back and sides to hold rods......they also sit in the holders when fishing which prevents 'em being pulled over side. Two S hooks on handle for carrying buckets. Haven't got any better pictures showing set-up at back but it works a treat. Cover the rim of cut down with slit hose pipe to prevent scratching gear.

kev

I like pigs better than cat and dogs. Dogs are subservient and look up to man. Cats are aloof and look down on man. A pig, however, will look you in the eye, and see his equal.

bidkev
29-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I need a trolley with my mob ;D

"Salvaged" ;) ;D shopping trolley with the sides cut down and pipe strapped to sides and back as rod holders which also prevent rods from being pulled over rails when into vermin. Remove baby seat and two S hooks on handle for buckets. Cover cut ends with slit hose to prevent gear being scratched.

haven't got any pics of rear set-up but it works a treat.

kev

I like pigs better than cat and dogs. Dogs are subservient and look up to man. Cats are aloof and look down on man. A pig, however, will look you in the eye, and see his equal.

bidkev
29-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Showing rod holder on side

mattooty
29-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, at first i thought i was going to get ten thousand responses telling me to get a boat. I have A massive steel basket about 1m by 50cm that i have cable tied onto the frame of the trolley. In it i have a bucket and a chook food bag that are about 1m long so i can fit a good jew in them. I need to be bringing the fish back in whole as its a club outing. Will be taking light rod for bream & catching live baits, heavy gear for a jew, gaff, fishing bag, bait tank & pump, little light setup dad wired up for me, and warm clothes food etc. So a bit of gear is getting hauled out the wall tonight.
Starts at 3pm this arvo and finishes tomorow at midday so ill be doing an all nighter out on the yamba wall. Or maybe shooting over to iluka on the ferry and fishing for longtails off the wall after this southerly swell....... ;)
hmmmm, hopefully i should get a few.
thanks again
Matt

land_based
29-04-2006, 01:56 PM
When i was down there Matt I brought along my trusty trolley, bugger carying all that gear up the breakwall while still trying to carry a beer. It is just a heavy duty hand trolley the type you use in bottleshops. Got my old man to weld a couple of rod holders onto the side, and with the help of occy straps all the gear is kept on nice and tight. I've trekked through Noosa National park many times with this trolley and the track gets pretty rough and it does really well for itself.

mattooty
29-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have any pics of theirs? I have a pic of my new one (5 min job) but cant post. its 300kb and cant shrink, can anyone help?

theoldlegend
29-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Matt,

My fishing mate & I made a trolley about 3 years ago now for the very purpose of carting our stuff along the Yamba breakwall, just like you're doing.

Was made out of light angle iron, probably about 25mm x 3mm, base about 1000 x 750 with that fencing mesh stuff (about 6mm dia spaced about 100mm) welded to the angle iron. Sides were about 300 high from same material. Axle underneath with cheap pump up tyres and a handle to pull it. A post welded to one end so it would sit level. Sat in the back of the ute very well.

Saved us a lot of hassle. All we had to carry were the surf rods. Wouldn't work too good on the Iluka side though. Too rough compared to the Yamba side.

TOL

choppa
29-04-2006, 07:50 PM
kev,,, that thing is awesome,,,,,i'm sure if you want we might be able to weld up a game chair in the front of it and your set ;D ;D ;D

reminds me when i go with chop jr,,,,,,have to have everything packed and unpacked his way, or its not gunna happen,,,,i'm afraid if he see's your set up, i'll be in the workshed for the next few days off,,,,,

don't see a cooler holder mate,,,mmmmmmmmmmm

choppa

bidkev
29-04-2006, 08:41 PM
<snip>
don't see a cooler holder mate,,,mmmmmmmmmmm

choppa

Don't need one mate............when I open a stubby I empty it in one go ;) ;D

kev

Minds, like parachutes, only function when they are open.

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Matt,
Get yourself a 4WD tacklebox ......
;)

rando
30-04-2006, 11:05 PM
My Iluka wall kit'
consists of a backpack, a tackle belt( multi pocket job ) and two buckets one inside the other. and my rods & gaff
Too rough out there for a trolley

2rods
01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
When I was last in FNQ there was a bloke at the jetty with a ripper. It had a seat at one end esky in the middle and rod holders at the other end, down one side he even had a CD/stereo and a fluro light and battery on the other side. It was all varnished and had a few laminated pic's of his best fish on it as well. :)

I remember going to the jetty as akid with just a bucket some bait and a hand line... how things change :)

2rods

rodbender
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
sorrry matt mrs informs me camera not working cant post photo
reg

mattooty
02-05-2006, 08:21 PM
My half hour job. Not the final product but what it looks like in general.

mattooty
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Another view...

mattooty
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
And another......

mattooty
02-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I thought it worked quite well for half an hours work, $15 and a 14y/o and 16y/o.
Changed it to have an esky in the main wire basket, put fishing bags in front of esky, have bucket in front box area. Smaller bucket with rope for getting water inside big bucket
Matt

mitch_05
03-05-2006, 07:04 AM
looks like you didnt end up needing the help hey ;)

it isnt to bad of a looking trolley either

mitch

mat_anderson04
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM
mate the ones at hearvy bay are pro!!!! went there these holidays and you should see there set ups

BrandonH
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Looks good matt!! I can remember riding with all my gear down to the Hornybrook bridge (brighton-redcliffe). I always wanted a trolly and hit dad up to make me one a number of times but he never got around to it:( I use to have 2 surf rods (one a 10foot bream rod) over my shoulders alvey sitting on the hangers, a bucket with a castnet on one side of the hangers and a crab pot on the other, I would also have my BIG old school bag on my back with all the gear and bait in the bucket on top of the net. gez it use to be hard getting home with a good catch and a stiff beeze and rain that hurts when it hits :'( its a long way out to the first hump!!! Lol (from Brighton side:) anyways back on topic your trolly looks good matt!! only thing i would be worried about after a few trips are the wheels, should be able to pickup some that are pemumatic that should fit ok:) would make a big difference pulling your big Jew back over the rocks!! good luck mate

Cheers
Brandon.,..

mattooty
05-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeh it worked wonders when we put an esky in it to take tuna back in. Only problem was the first tuna didnt fit in the esky ;D
Matt