PDA

View Full Version : Never Again!!!!!

bidkev
02-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Never again will I launch at Deepwater Bend on a weekend or public holiday despite being entertained ;D

Arrived at the ramp at 3 having given the deckie instructions to meet me there with the trailer. 6 rigs circling on the water awaiting their turn. 2 jet skis at ramp side of pontoon and 2 rigs tied up to front of pontoon. Deckie in the front of trailer queue and me unable to access pontoon..."name of the game....unfortunate" methinks ::)

Then the first jet ski attempts to trailer by driving on and jumps off trailer. Meanwhile 2nd jet skier helps him out whilst his jetski is left tied to the seaward side of ramp effectively blocking any access to the vacant position left by first jetski.

When the 2nd jetski is fianlly moved from the pontoon to trailer a boat comes from the back of circling boats to the pontoon! ::) :o >:( Guess where he ties up?.......you got it......at the seaward end of pontoon ::) :( I motor over and ask him to move it further down so the rigs at the front of pontoon can move round and I can tag onto the back of them. He duly obliges and I take up vacant position behind the one left at the end.

Meanwhile the queue jumper (3 men in their late forties 50's) have their rig (seafarer) on it's side resting on the mudguards. The'y'd gone too deep in an attempt to float it on and it had floated off and tipped. It was then that we noticed just how tanked up these guys were. One fell over into the drink whilst another had his fingers trapped between a roller and the boat. Their car had it's tail pipe under water! ::) ;D

15 mins later and they're gone and the first boat waiting moves up pontoon and I get ready for the boat in front of me to move further up..........but he doesn't! ::) I notice that the esky is open and they are eating their lunch and junior is actually fishing. "can you move up"? says I. "No", says juniors mother. "Dad's just gone home to get some more bait" ::) :o

Need I go on? ;D ::) ;D 3.45 and we finally leave the ramp! ::)

Looking back, I see at least 12 boats circling the ramp! :o

For those of you interested, there is a ramp here that isn't shown in the Beacon to Beacon :
UBD page 99 K17 Barungwarra reserve accessed from Bald Hills Rd. Pretty basic but ok for tinnies.

Still, I had a good day out and if you think of these kind of events as humorous as opposed to letting them piss you off, then fishing's so much the better for it ;D

kev

My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.

fish2eat
02-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I try to "never" use the word "never" ........never works!!!!!

there is a mjor lack of facilities, but hey, when you go to bigger cities than Brisbane you realise that people just learn to be patient. Just a growing problem, and why wouldn't eveybody want to move here and buy a boat??

fishn-ads
02-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Me thinks i've work out "Whing"e"ing Pom" bet it was a laugh watching the jet ski and seafarer stuff it up? I would have been laughing at them for 45 minutes. ;D ;D ;D

cuzzamundi
02-05-2006, 11:15 AM
unreal kev. dunno how you keep your cool. they seem to be everywhere on the pine at the moment. i bet there was no bugger in sight willling to breathalise those three wise men! as for the jet skiers - no need to comment. but yeah, the pine seems to be a haven for the unintelligent troglodyte of late. here's to hoping the 'friday night cowboys' rest their heels. or keels should i say. did you manage a feed anyway? i hope something worthwhile came out of supervising the fracas mate!

cuzza

revs57
02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I thought you might have taken the opportunity to philosophize with them about the merits of serving mate, and letting others go first...you know the first will be last stuff ;D ;D ;D

Great story Kev...never ceases to amaze me the antics of people at boat ramps. Rudy Maas was a breeze yesterday when we came in...no drama at all and a helpful bloke who spared Jackie the pain of winching the last couple of inches

Cheers

Rhys

bidkev
02-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Me thinks i've work out "Whing"e"ing Pom" bet it was a laugh watching the jet ski and seafarer stuff it up? I would have been laughing at them for 45 minutes. ;D ;D ;D

Yeah mate, there's been threads before about idiots and inexperience at ramps and I normally don't comment 'cause we all have to learn and even the experienced are sometimes less experienced than the experienced IYKWIM? ;D

It just seems that on this particular day, there was few with "experience" and those that had it, were tanked up, or cocked up ::)

My deckie does all the reversing and trailering and I simply drive on and off the pontoon so I ain't really one to judge, buy geeeeez, sometimes yer just gotta laugh ;D

kev

Our five senses are incomplete without the sixth - a sense of humor.

bidkev
02-05-2006, 04:15 PM
did you manage a feed anyway?
cuzza

No mate, but the little feller did .........I'll never hear the last of it ;D(see his report on the Pine)

kev

Our marriage was a love match pure and simple; she was pure and I was simple.

bidkev
02-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I thought you might have taken the opportunity to philosophize with them about the merits of serving mate, and letting others go first...you know the first will be last stuff ;D ;D ;D

Great story Kev...never ceases to amaze me the antics of people at boat ramps. Rudy Maas was a breeze yesterday when we came in...no drama at all and a helpful bloke who spared Jackie the pain of winching the last couple of inches

Cheers

Rhys

Yeah Rhys, we must keep reminding ourselves that there are still those kind of people around.......so much is said about folk not being courteous and helpful like they used to be, but I still see it in quantity and quality.....mustn't focus on the "bad" eh? ;)

Hope you two enjoyed your time out alone ;) Now back to the grindstone for you matey ;D

kev

Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge.

MrWong
02-05-2006, 04:32 PM
For those of you interested, there is a ramp here that isn't shown in the Beacon to Beacon :
UBD page 99 K17 Barungwarra reserve accessed from Bald Hills Rd. Pretty basic but ok for tinnies.

Hey Kingtin that ramp is almost my backyard........ if your over this way drop in for a coffee or a coke. I do believe I owe ya one!
Cheers
Norm

snappa
02-05-2006, 04:42 PM
i had this ramp all to myself once before it got known .... :(
it was east coast gravel ... now there a FEW years ago.

moved now and only use it occass.ly [?]

bidkev
02-05-2006, 05:52 PM
i had this ramp all to myself once before it got known .... :(
it was east coast gravel ... now there a FEW years ago.

moved now and only use it occass.ly [?]

I'd seen it from the water but could never place it on a map. Was visiting the hostel for homeless kids on Bald hills Rd and lo and behold.......the council has signposted it at last. Bit too isolated for most to use but I would think it's pretty safe during the day.

kev

When confronted with a Goliath-sized problem, which way do you respond: "He's too big to hit" or like David, "He's too big to miss"?

lippa
02-05-2006, 08:55 PM
i use that ramp kev, when the tide don't allow me to use the ramp near westfield, (steep drops off, and can't get around the "sticks""

Feral
03-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Whats the matter, did you think the jet ski left parked in the way would scratch the ducco as you went over it?

bidkev
03-05-2006, 11:17 AM

Hey Kingtin that ramp is almost my backyard........ if your over this way drop in for a coffee or a coke. I do believe I owe ya one!
Cheers
Norm

Thanks Norm. I'm just over the other side of the highway at bracken ridge......we'll catch up sometime.

kev

When one door of happiness closes, another opens: but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

BrandonH
03-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I hate launching at Deep water:( you get soo many people parking in the rigging area also and that gets boaties rigging up atthe ramp and that sh$ts me when i am ready to launch and i gota wait for someone to finish rigging up!! dam pain during the week also when you get the water skiers sking right in front of the ramp and producing 2 foot waves on the ramp!!

I have used the bald hills ramp a couple of times, can be a little tricky at low tide as it is quite shallow and the ramp is a mixture of gravel and mud >:( had to help one fella who was retriving a 14 foot boat and couldn't get it moving with his 2 wheel drive van! Anyways it can be done you just have to take it easy and have someone there to help if the ramp has been chewed up somewhat.

cheers
Brandon..

PS: there is another one behind the strathpine shopping centre and its setup better but there is a lot of shallow water between the ramp and the north pine arm. I have been up this way a few times also, let me know if you want some extra info on it and i will try and help!!

Cheers
Brandon...

insideout
03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Good story kingtin, unfortunatly it is one that is replacated in every ramp in every town in aust. Makes you realise how many stupid people are in the world!

land_based
03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Sometimes i duck down the ramp sunday arvo just to sit down and watch these blokes for half an hour, better than tv i say. I've always used the blald hills ramp, but it does have some security issues.

snasman
03-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Your right on the money there kingtin I to was at dwb on the monday and it was kaos I ended up putting my boat on the other side of the pontoon near the rocks (tinnie of coarse)as it was chockers,I've said it b4 im my posts that I avoid it on weekends but this too was a special trip for my daughters b/day so I made an exception,I dont want to come across as complaining but #when they put that new pontoon #in they should have made the ramp wider to start with first ,due to the high volume of traffic that now heads down that way ,as for the other ramp off of bald hills rd I have never used it personally but a m8 of mine has and had his car broken into on 1 occasion ,he blames that on leaving his back pack on the front seat so the theives could see it .By the sound of things Kingtin you are a local around the Bald Hills area as am I #One day I hope to meet you out on the water ,wont be for a while though as motor went BANG! on Monday and im off to catch Barra today for 2 weeks in Darwin .cheers Snas

bidkev
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
<snip>
PS: there is another one behind the strathpine shopping centre and its setup better but there is a lot of shallow water between the ramp and the north pine arm. I have been up this way a few times also, let me know if you want some extra info on it and i will try and help!!

Cheers
Brandon...

Cheers Brandon. I've used that ramp also but I wouldn't like to attempt it at low on a king. Little birdy told me that there's some good jacks near there. ;)

kev

When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters. One represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.

bidkev
03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
<snip>

I have never used it personally but a m8 of mine has and had his car broken into on 1 occasion ,he blames that on leaving his back pack on the front seat so the theives could see it .By the sound of things Kingtin you are a local around the Bald Hills area as am I One day I hope to meet you out on the water ,wont be for a while though as motor went BANG! on Monday and im off to catch Barra today for 2 weeks in darwin .cheers Snas

Yeah mate, security's an issue at most ramps nowadays. I go solo some days and the deckie puts me in the water and takes the trailer home. I give her a ring to come and get me when I've had enough.

Wish your daughter a happy Birthday for me and enjoy your time in darwin........seeya when you get back with some good reports :D

kev

When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target.

2iar
03-05-2006, 04:48 PM
This has come up before, but it's crazy that they spent so much money redeveloping the facilities/boardwalk/playground/BBQ's/toilets etc., and never thought that in doing so they'd increase its' popularity.

I'm certainly no beancounter, but how much more could it have cost for some additional concrete and grading etc to make it a 2 or 3 lane ramp?

Madness >:(

Good luck,
Mike

bidkev
03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
This has come up before, but it's crazy that they spent so much money redeveloping the facilities/boardwalk/playground/BBQ's/toilets etc., and never thought that in doing so they'd increase its' popularity.

I'm certainly no beancounter, but how much more could it have cost for some additional concrete and grading etc to make it a 2 or 3 lane ramp?

Madness >:(

Good luck,
Mike

The argument I was given was that the wetland couldn't be encroached upon any further :o ::) When I argued that they didn't need to "encroach" and that all they had to do was move the heap of rocks and put a concrete slab in it's place, I was told that the rocks were to prevent erosion.........Like ::).......a concrete ramp wouldn't prevent erosion? ::) ::) ;D

kev

When you forgive it takes you from the place of the victim to that of a victor.

rick_k
06-05-2006, 09:19 AM
dohles rocks was good on Monday, we came back in around 10:00, put up with the queue jumper boat with three blokes unloading nally tubs from a small tinny. Karma works, they ran over their own light board.

Then had to drive up to Osprey house to tie the boat down; there were boat trailers parked up as far as there, and cars with empty trailers looking for spots. Bet Osprey house were happy to have a fishing boat in the carpark next to their no fishing sign.

I reckon they've ruined that ramp for my purposes; no trouble to launch a 14' tinny on the old ramp, and if you want to launch a big glass boat, there's always the magnificent ramp at Contarf; saw a couple of 6 metre glass boats launched at Dohles equipped with offshore tackle.