PDA

View Full Version : What will you do?

bidkev
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
If the hosepipe ban eventuates? :o It could be as early as June :'(

Will you lay up the boat or continue fishing without washing down after?

kev

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.

fish2eat
06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
you could get a rainwater tank or a bore and there are no restrictions about hosing from those sources.

catalina
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
I'll stay in Darwin. Plenty of water here mate and no line for the boat ramp on most occasions!! Our dam just overflowed again. Seriously I really feel for you though must be tough!

JEWIENEWIE
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
It normally rains when i go out so trailer and boat get a wash down on the way home!!!
Jewie ;D

blaze
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
last had water resrictions in where I am 20 years ago.
put a tank in Kev
cheers
blaze

BlitzBaga
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Whenever I take my boat in the salt I aways follow up with a freshwater trip. A good trip to Somerset gives the motor a good flush plus it's another day out fishing.

Murray

Lone_Wolf
06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
There is a boat washing area at Horizion Shores, which has a similar jet spray water system to car lovers. I think I will be moving pretty fast to get it done before the money ticks over!

Problem solved and will keep fishing, one less Yatala pie on the way home though :(

longtail
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
i will continue to use the hose at home , i would rather a $150 fine than have to replace a $13k outboard.

cheers
jason

bomber202
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Go To car lovers easy as that and flush the motor in a drum.

THE BOMBER

bidkev
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM

THE BOMBER

It's *that* easy? :o ;D You mean they'll let me tie up the wash for over an hour? I'll have to spend a bit of time figuring out how to get a 220 V6 stern drive into a drum as well! ;D

kev

Be careful of your thoughts, they may become words at any moment.

Lucky_Phill
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
There is a system I have seen that may interest youse ! :o

A friend of mine has a specific drum set up with rain water collected in it, as well as a motor flush. This drum has a lid and is marked for flushing only.
You can make the drum as big as necessary to fit ya motor. Thereby not using the councils water everytime you flush. OK, so some of the water escapes via missing the bucket due to the Tell tail, but topping it up is easy enough. OR, you can have another bucket handy to catch the tell tail spray !

As far as boat washing is concerned, I think the Car Lovers idea is great. Get it down pat and it's only a $2.00 job.

Cheers Phill

dasher
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM

THE BOMBER

It's *that* easy? :o ;D You mean they'll let me tie up the wash for over an hour? I'll have to spend a bit of time figuring out how to get a 220 V6 stern drive into a drum as well! ;D

kev

C'mon Kev we all know you are innovative, so let us know how you do it when you work it out mate. ::) ;) ;D ;D

seatime
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Last time there were severe restrictions the car washes still keep operating, that's the place to wash down.
There might be an opening for a new enterprise, wash downs and motor flushing at the ramp. Commercial users of water are mostly exempt from restrictions for the time being. It's mainly residential homeowners and renters that get the short end.

charleville
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Well I won't stop fishing in my boat - that is for sure. #>:(

I normally wash the boat at the ramp but if Level 3 restrictions come in, I guess that I will flush the motor in a plastic tub that I use at home for that purpose. #

Where will the water come from? #Well I have thought about putting in a tank beforethe end of June to claim the $750 council rebate. Or alternatively, some very lightly grey water may have to do the job. #:-/

I am currently using the boat 2 - 3 times per week so it may not be such a great issue for me except that I do like to hose the trailer springs, brakes etc.

PinHead
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I am with longtail...I only have a small 40 hp outboard but i will continue flushing it also..as well as cleaning the car...$150 as opposed to deterioraton of the car or outboard is a small price to pay.

bidkev
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM

THE BOMBER

kev

C'mon Kev we all know you are innovative, so let us know how you do it when you work it out mate. ::) ;) ;D ;D

;D

Not too sure on using a drum anyway. I used to use one with the outboard and was thinking of buying one of those collapsible ones so that I could get it under the leg of the sterndrive but I've watched the sterndrive tell tale and most of it comes straight down the side of the leg. If I used a drum, I'd simply be recycling the salt that I was flushing out, albeit in a diluted state.

As for carlovers..........if you ever saw me wash the trailer you'd understand why I don't fancy going there ;D This McKay trailer's a big bugger and there's all sorts of nooks and crannies for the salt to hide........I jockey her up and actually crawl underneath with the gurney ;D

With the boat, when I wash the deck, bait, and kill tank, it all ends up in the bilge under the engine.......it takes some flushing through the bung. God knows how other Whittley owners clean out the bilge as they don't even come with a bung hole as standard......yer bilge has to rely on auto flushing and if you're parked on the flat, that's next to useless.

Add to that the mess the kids leave, and cleaning is a 45 to 60 minute job.

Aaaaaaah! the joys of a big rig ::) ;D

kev

Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy they are who already possess it.

bidkev
06-05-2006, 05:27 PM
<snip>
Where will the water come from? Well I have thought about putting in a tank beforethe end of June to claim the $750 council rebate. Or alternatively, some very lightly grey water may have to do the job. :-/

<snip>

All you need is the rain to fill it ;D

kev

Being listened to and heard is one of the greatest desires of the human heart

seatime
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
The grey water for flushing is a good idea, if first u run a teflon protectant thru the cooling system any detergents in the grey water shouldn't hurt the internals.

seatime
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Kev, why not fill the flushing drum after u have placed it under ur leg.
A cut down blue plastic chemical 44 should do it, about $40 second hand.

seatime
06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Unother post, Kev, I just saw ur post about the tell tale pointing straight down, they are adjustable aren't they, u should be able to turn the tell tale to point in any direction u like. Steve. :)

Feral
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM

THE BOMBER

kev

If you can afford that, you can afford the fine.

bidkev
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM

THE BOMBER

kev

If you can afford that, you can afford the fine.

Just 'cause I can afford the fine, it doesn't mean that I'm prepared to break the law.

Believe it or not, the boat goes out on a tight budget (one income/4 kids) and a fine would result in one less trip.

kev

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are - you aren't.