PDA

View Full Version : cooking tailor

richieboy
04-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Gday fellas. Any tips on frying up a feed of tailor. I've heard coating fillets in flour and then straight into a pan with butter. Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Rich ;)

land_based
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
you've heard right mate, flour straight into a hot pan with butter in it, then a squeeze of lemon, beautiful!

DaneCross
04-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Thats the way I do it ;)

Canoedle
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Get yourself a hot smoker, otherwise known as the kipper box etc, IMO the best way to cook taylor, but what you said works well too. ;)

Scalem
04-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Red wine!!! Tailor fishing on Fraser is where it all started....I was barrelled over last year by a bigger wave, soaked to the skin, returned to Cathedral Beach Park a little on the "exposure" side of things. A fresh fillet of Tailor on the hotplate washed down with a Wolf Blaus Red, then hit the hot showers.

Got to eat them fresh when you return from a few hours fishing, taste much better that way!

Scalem

Lone_Wolf
04-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Get rid of the skin, get rid of the blood line, flour, egg and garlic breadcrumbs with a quick visit each side in a hot pan! Yum!!

choppa
04-05-2006, 08:28 PM
nah,,, ya all wrong,,wrong ,, wrong,,,,,,,,fillet each fish,,, retain carcass for crab bait,,,

gently slice each fillet into 12mm strips,, trim to approx 50mm lengths,,,retain off cuts,,,

place neatly onto a 1/0 long shank,,, with little weight,,,

cast into your fav bream hole,,,,, and whamo,,,,,,fresh bream

tastes better than tailor anyday ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishn-ads
04-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Baked whole in foil bit of cajun, lemon, butter and salt don't forget the salt it takes care of any blood taste. Good oven baked, better on ta BBQ, fantastic on open fire at wattys!! those where the days. "Eat'm fresh" same goes for dart.

Ads

mulisha
04-05-2006, 09:18 PM
nah,,, ya all wrong,,wrong ,, wrong,,,,,,,,fillet each fish,,, retain carcass for crab bait,,,

gently slice each fillet into 12mm strips,, trim to approx 50mm lengths,,,retain off cuts,,,

mate your dreaming wat a waste thats wat pippies are for ;) ;)

mulisha
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
ovenbaked with alfoil salt garlic anb butter :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

richieboy
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanx for all the responses boys. Got a few tailor recently and will be keen to have a cook up this weekend. I've frozen some from previous catches (only a few days old) so I hope that doesn't affect the quality of the taste too much. In freezer straight after catch. Yep, I know fresh is best, but some of us have too work ya know. :)
Has anyone had similar issues after defrosting too cook?? feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

Rich #;)

JewseeTHAT
04-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Cook 'em frozen mate, if they defrost they tend to mushiness. Just keep the heat down a bit so they don't burn. They come up beautiful baked with slices of onion, tomatoes, crushed garlic, 1\3rd of a cup of wine (red or white doesn't really matter), few whole kalamata olives sprinkled with a handful of breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil over the top, bake until the crumbs are golden.

Jim_Byrne
04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm with Fishin-Ads he's spot on with the foil bit of this and that and straight on the BBQ few...minutes either side and yummy! And no cleaning up fry pans!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Get rid of the skin, get rid of the blood line, flour, egg and garlic breadcrumbs with a quick visit each side in a hot pan! Yum!! # #

I gather by the lack of SMS on my phone you havn't had a chance to test this recipe in this contest year yet Mr Wolf ? ::)

seeyainthesurf !

fish2eat
05-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Get rid of the skin, get rid of the blood line, flour, egg and garlic breadcrumbs with a quick visit each side in a hot pan! Yum!! # #

I gather by the lack of SMS on my phone you havn't had a chance to test this recipe in this contest year yet Mr Wolf ? #::)

seeyainthesurf !

woooohoooooo.....a contest year!!!! there goes brotherly love out the window, and a slaughterfest for the tailor. I hear these two can seriously reduce tailor stocks when they get competitive.

Az
05-05-2006, 09:43 AM

;D i was waiting for that one, I was going to say the same thing but say they make great snapper bait :-X or a livie for jew 8-)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Get yourself a hot smoker, otherwise known as the kipper box etc, IMO the best way to cook taylor, but what you said works well too. #;)

the best tailor i've tasted was done in a hairy mackeral man's smoker using hickory chips and 50% brown sugar, 50% salt marinade....
...to be honest though ...
a day old, sun stewed pilchard would taste good the way he does fish.

Az & choppa have a point, one of the bonuses of surf tailor fishing is catching the kg+ bream that hang under the tailor schools - i call them silver emperor because they are much sweeter than their estuary juveniles.

freezing tailor? Ice slurry, then fillet, skin & blood-line and freeze flat with gladwrap between layers so you can cook as Jewy said without to much thawing or handing. Even go to the trouble of crumbing then freezing.

chris

richieboy
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanx for all the advice fellas. I got some fresh ones this morning and just kept it simple, flour, butter and in the pan. Lemon on top with salad and fries. YUMMY!! :P

Saved a few for the oven though fishn_ads.

Cheers.

Rich ;)

chisel
06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Skin fillets and take some of the blood-line out. Then into a plastic bag with some egg, shake ... then add breadcrumbs until they're well coated. Into a hot pan with a fair bit of oil, but not swimming in it. Mmmm.

DICER
07-05-2006, 10:12 AM
get out the wasabi paste mix with water. fill a small bowl with soy sauce. ice tailor, then scale and fillet tailor, and cut into strips. place onto plate. get chop sticks out and hey presto dinner....

roz
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM

Ya can't be serious!!

Although fresh is best, and the KISS method, fillets into seasoned flour and into the fry pan....jobs done!

cheers roz

PinHead
07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Roz has it ...the only way to eat fish..why ruin the taste by adding garlic or herbs or anything else.