PDA

View Full Version : ignorant boaties

castamasta
29-04-2006, 06:22 PM
>:( >:( >:(....sorry in advance for the whinge guys,but the amount of totally ignorant,uneducated,rude and probally unlicensed morons on the water ways around caloundra just riles me to the point were i dont fish there as often as i would like, although i live 5 mins from 4 different ramps......while standing on my forward casting deck, working a shallow flat of 2-3ft deep,casting sp,s looking for lizards, i watched with interest a small boat approaching at high speed between me and the area i was casting to, which eventually past not 20ft off my bow >:(...as usual i couldnt be bothered uttering a word to this imbisile instead gave a casual shake of the head....AND I GOT ABUSED :o....something along the lines of ''dont shake your *###### head at me you ###...$#$## is it just me,or is this happening everywere?.....been fishing and boating for years and in my experience this is definetly getting worse. not the abuse,but the ignorance,cheers casta.

castamasta
29-04-2006, 06:25 PM
what i forgot to mention was the 200mtrs of navigatable water behind me :)

snasman
29-04-2006, 06:54 PM
No m8 your right its happening more and more I fish the pine river as it 3 mins from my place and I have had to make it a rule no more boat fishing on the weekends Due to the high amount of wankers ,mostly ski boats but unfortunatly some fishing boats now as well, I have seen the police once in the last year and they stopped near dollies rocks coming in from Redcliff no where near where the high density traffic is up past the bridge I have complained to the constablury about this after a ski boat was less than 3 meteres from me at full noise whilst I was anchored ,there reply was we will send some 1 out to have a look ,that was about 5 months ago I still havent seen them as yet and I fish there at least 3 times a week.Cheers Snas

PinHead
29-04-2006, 07:00 PM
why not get the rego number and report the driver?

I won't go into the other options as I do not condone violence

choppa
29-04-2006, 07:05 PM
at least i got a ""kinda" polite 1,,, was fishn ningi creek a couple weeks back on the run up,, and i was next to a litte tidal creek,, when along comes a boatie,,, drifts in towards me and then throws out his cast net chasing bait,,, when i protested that he threw right over my gear,,, he asked ""if i own the creek"",,, upon this he soon discovered my complaint was warranted when he retrieved his net and untangled my line from it,,,,,

i must say his mate who was in control of the boat, but wouldnt have seen me due to being at the stern gave him a bit of a blast and they took off,,,,,all of this was spoken in normal voice,, not yelling,,,,just to give you an idea of how close he was,,,,

choppa

bidkev
29-04-2006, 07:21 PM
The patrol was on the Pine yesterday breathalysing one boatie I went past. Just a pity it was the only other boat on the water other than mine ::) ::)

kev

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

sempre
29-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Mate i get the same morons 75km out , they havent get a clue .

Lucky_Phill
29-04-2006, 09:35 PM
And on the other side of the coin.

I was in a 6 knot no wash zone a few days ago and saw a Jetskier ( don't we just love those folk ? ) coming my way at 20knots plus. As he got near, he slowed a little...........and I jestured to him with my hand and fingers extended 6, well five fingers up on one hand a one on the other. Bugga me ! he slowed, nodded and proceeded at the required knots.

That is the FIRST time a jetskier has taken notice of some advice I have given them. ::)

Phill

blaze
29-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Good topic
I wonder of all those that complain of speed of other boaties if they have ever been guilty of the same thing, you know, when you were younger and full of terestrone or showing off to mates, towing a skier.
I know its not pleasant to be on the recieving end of some bodies wash or stupidity.
Back to the guilty bit, on 1 occasion I have come in cold and wet and wanting to get home and not slowed enough going up an open channel (not speed restricted) and nearly upended a guy trolling beside the channel (I slowed down and went back and said sorry).
So I think it comes down to
If we all tried to be a little tolerent, maybe in some mysterus way it may start to rub off on others
cheers
blaze

MulletMan
29-04-2006, 10:10 PM
True but I always get in all sorts of trouble when I suggest to readers on this site that in moi's opinion, about 75% of Boaties are careless, incompetant, ignorant of rules and basically have little idea of how to operate a vessel in a professional way. (not applicable Ausfish readers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;))

Most of the blame has to do with the testing laws (under change at the moment I know) where the approved Inspector doesn't need to watch you launch and/or recover the boat (you can have it in the water already) spends about 20-30 minutes on the water, does a man overboard, asks what is that red beacon, what is the local speed limit, a couple of "S" turns and then back to the ramp.

This is NOT the Inspectors fault! It is what the authorities tell them to do!

Remember above all else that marine rescue groups in Queensland do about $40,000,000 worth of "rescues" each year (Government statistics). Granted many are for genuine breakdowns or unpreventable difficulties, but having done aver 250 "rescues" myself and previously part of a rescue group that did 20,000 rescues in the same number of years, the most depressing part was doing up the monthly stats and just seeing the idiocy that was involved.

And I have to stick up for the Water Police! Along with the Beattie Government's Health Department being a basket case, spare a thought for the cops who have no funds for on-water training, have a policy that requires the volunteer groups be called in first for rescue work, have a shortage of officers (24 x 7), no money for overtime, no funds to maintain the boats (jet skis broken for almost a year) and you can see why you rarely if ever see them on the water - and these guys would genuinely love to be out there laying down the law!

Fact is you park a police boat at say Raby Bay ramps every single weekend and very soon the message will get through - as it would anywhere else! But that means spending to possibly save lives and we know Politicians would rather save votes and not lives!

For an afternoons fun, park at a bust boat ramp and watch the fun for hours!

Then again, the same happens on our roads and nobody really cares, just part of ther territory!

joeT
29-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah, a bit of commonsense and courtesy doesn't hurt. I've had plenty of guys blast past me within a few metres when I'm anchored (plenty of space to go around) and also drive across my lines.

I'm very conscious of not doing it to anyone else and hopefully it can rub off on others.

bignick
29-04-2006, 11:39 PM
True; unfortunately, that sort of rubbish is everywhere these days and shows no sign of disappearing in the near future. There are 3 problems causing this and they are:-

1) This whole culture of "I, ME, MINE and F#@& EVERYBODY ELSE!" has taken over in society as a whole and it is not punished or discouraged; it is, in fact championed and encouraged. And it starts from the top (our Politicians) and works its way down through our workplaces, our schools and, sadly, into the day-to-day lives of our families.

2) The general lack of manners, respect and courtesy in our society is absolutely disgusting these days and nobody seems to stand for anything anymore, apart from the things outlined in point No.1.

3) The biggest problem on the water is that people are getting into boating these days who aren't from boating backgrounds. That's fine and I have no dramas with people getting into boating and/or fishing, but they bring their other sh!*house attitudes and hang-ups with them from their real lives as outlined in points 1 and 2. Now, their relaxation is just an extension of their daily lives that they obviously see as a war where evryone is out to get them and they must win at all costs to remain Emperor of the own little sh!*heap and be seen as strong and heroic by those around them. And, guess what their kids will most likely turn into..

Cheers,
NICK.

TheSaint
30-04-2006, 06:25 AM
It just not the Jetskiers! :o

familyman
30-04-2006, 08:01 AM
The boys hard at it during our recent se qld trip.
cheers jon

finga64
30-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Well said TTP and Nick.
It's all a combination of what TTP and Nick have outlined.
Common sense doesn't go astray either when the laws say something is OK bit is still dangerous

Mike (catchy fishy) has just got his license in South Africa. A whole lot harder then Aussie land.

Here's an idea. Mike, when you read this, list what you have to do in SA to get your license and we'll compare to Australia.

When I got my license all those years ago all I had to do (all on the same day at the same time) was answer a couple of questions, He (I put that in capital letters because I did think he was God because He could fail me ;))watched me launch the boat (3.75m runabout with a 9.5 merc) then we went for a run because he wanted to check his traps.
All this took all of 20minutes and hey presto the license was mine.

Fisher_Boats
30-04-2006, 09:31 AM
We have always commented that most boaties usually wave and say hello when on the water
and how this doesn't happen on the roads, (unless your in the bush) but unfortunately the same people that drive on the roads also drive on the water. More training might help but most of the time it's attitude and certain people thinking they may own the water more then others.
The same old story.... minorities ruin it for all the others.
Not a real lot you can do....but geeze it gets you wild!!
Anyway I'm off to Brissie for Bonesy's footy game , hope I don't get road raged :)

Col

gawby
30-04-2006, 09:40 AM
The police launch C.W.BROWN is getting a few years on it now as i am pretty sure it was in service when i was in the job in the 80s.
Anyhow brett and myself could tell you some stories about wankers trying to fit between you and the bank with about 10 foot to spare and it goes on.
Unfortunatly it never seems to get any better and sometimes better to let the wankers go and enjoy the rest of your day.
Graeme

castamasta
30-04-2006, 09:53 AM
some really good points made there guys,and yes i havent always been the perfect boatie,none of us have.i certainly dont blame the police but wouldnt it be great to see more of them and fisheries aswell why were at it.and your rite its not just jetskis,although i could mention a few incidents with them aswell :).....im usually very tolerant with these morons,infact i dont think some of them are even aware they are doing anything wrong.what i really got my back up about this incident was me getting abused just for shaking my head at this clown >:(....i dont condone violence either but boy, yesterday could have got me introuble as the thought did cross my mind to chase this clown down and have a crack at him,luckily i controlled my thoughts[he was kinda big looking:).].... and i would have taken his rego too,if he had them on his boat that is :).....cheers,casta.

MulletMan
30-04-2006, 11:10 AM
There is a new Boaties and Fisheries Department opening at Redland Bay but the bad news is ..... have a guess?

Not enough staff to operate it full time, very limited vessel time for them on the water, no weekend staffing and an inability to attend anything out of hours.

Having talked to one of the new B & F guys already, they are very disappointed at the above.

It is still a great start nonetheless but wouldn't it be great if the funds were made available from Day One!

gunnabuild1
30-04-2006, 12:12 PM
I have noticed the same things and have only had a boat on the water for just on a year.The thing is I am very aware that I am new to this and like most things a little courtesy and consideration go a long way.I dont like it when I am fishing and somebody bores past at full blast does that mean that it's alright when it's my turn to go past them.On getting a licence yes it is to easy my stepson and I got ours about 6 months ago and at the time thinking it was abit of a joke but like a car licence they teach you how to pass the test not how to drive.One of the reasons I got a boat [apart from the sheer pleasure of being on the water]was to avoid the crowd Why is it when a mate and are fishing more than 1 boat turns in to a magnet or are they breeding?
Just wanted to say thanks to the members on ausfish lots of good info on here for us newbies has come in very handy thanks again

BlitzBaga
30-04-2006, 12:50 PM
It's not just happening in one area, it's everywhere. I dunno if it is just me but I feel more intimidated because my boat is only a 3.85 explorer.

Murray

flatstrap
30-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Travelling on the Coomera River North Arm, I came around the bend (on the plane) in my 7m Cat to find a tinnie anchored across the channel, with 3 people in it fishing. The channel is n-a-r-r-o-w at low tide, and had nowhere to go but pass real close and take up all their lines. Much fist pumping and single digit displays were exhibited from the tinnie inhabitants. I came around and explained that their actions were like camping in a small dome tent in the middle of the M1! They didn't understand what I was saying. It is difficult to educate people on the run but surely... common sense dictates the danger in being stopped and anchored in a busy waterway?

The head scratching goes on...

Cheers, flatstrap

finga64
30-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Travelling on the Coomera River North Arm, I came around the bend #(on the plane) in my 7m Cat to find a tinnie anchored across the channel, with 3 people in it fishing. The channel is n-a-r-r-o-w at low tide, and had nowhere to go but pass real close and take up all their lines. Much fist pumping and single digit displays were exhibited from the tinnie inhabitants. I came around and explained that their actions were like camping in a small dome tent in the middle of the M1! They didn't understand what I was saying. It is #difficult to educate people on the run but surely... common sense dictates the danger in being stopped and anchored in a busy waterway?

The head scratching goes on...

Cheers, flatstrap

Surely, if common sense pervailed you wouldn't be going so fast in a N-A-R-R-O-W channel just incase a boat or log or KID was sitting in the middle of the channel :-?

So what do you do Flatstrap if a log or kid is in the channel and you're going flatstrap and can't stop or swerve??
I bet you drive at 115km/h on the freeway in the 110km/h zone in the puring rain with little to no visability. Why, because you can (it's not against the law) and that's all there is about it.
:-?
I'm not defending tinny operators (or any size/type of craft operators), but common sense should come to play a lot for everyone.

Jack^Mangrove
30-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah here here Nick........couldn`t agree more. You only have to look as far as our roads to see the amount of ignorance and arogance out there that seems to be building every year and you can see this starting to infect our waterways as well.

deb
30-04-2006, 04:11 PM
After running in last night from Moreton, I am totally convinced the bigger the vessel, the less "common sense" (if their is such a definition in the first place).
Bad enough we know to watch for the idiotic tinnies anchored on the channel markers without light, last night dodged 3 of the nuts, one scared the crap out of us as he didn't have torch with much light in the first place :o, rounding St helena and Green, damm nearly midshiped a decent sized catarmaran, who was sailing, yes sailing at 11.00pm with spinnaker up, new moon and no lights whatsoever....... not even one mast light. When we did a complete u-turn, thank heavens for high tide, they turned on their motor, it lit up like a christmas tree.
The bigger the boat, they either haven't got a license, or damm don't care >:(

flatstrap
30-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi Finga,
I didn't say I was travelling flatstrap. I was on the plane...(ReRead my post). Common sense tells me that there probably isn't some idiot camping on the M1. You assume a lot that I might be driving 115kms in poor visibility. Are you an erroneous psychic?
I do have a lot of experience both on road and on the water.
You could improve your spelling skills and we would know what we're talking about.
No thanks for the assumptions.
Flatstrap

fishingnottake
30-04-2006, 08:11 PM
i think the point he was trying to make was, that if you were travelling too fast to be able go around them, etc then perhaps you were going to fast, drive to the conditions etc, i can't comment as i wasn'ere, i only have your statement to go on, now before you reply, just stop and re read what i've written, think about it, then if you still feel compelled to reply, go ahead. i just dont want to drag this thread off topic.
ash

finga64
30-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Finga,
I didn't say I was travelling flatstrap. I was on the plane...(ReRead my post). Common sense tells me that there probably isn't some idiot camping on the M1. You assume a lot that I might be driving 115kms in poor visibility. Are you an erroneous psychic?
I do have a lot of experience both on road and on the water.
You could improve your spelling skills and we would know what we're talking about.
No thanks for the assumptions.
Flatstrap
Yeah, fair enough. Comments noted and taken in.
I don't mean to be rude but I have been in the position of the tinny on many occasions and have been abused by larger boat owners who may not be as understanding as you.
I have a running joke with the cook about the big smiley I have on the side of the tinny. It should have been a target.
I didn't say you were going flatstrap. (reread my post).
So how fast is planing speed in a 7m cat in a N-A-R-R-O-W channel? How narrow is the channel??
Must have been real narrow to be able to take all their (the tinnies) lines whilst passing. Maybe planing may have been too fast for the area?? I don't know. I wasn't there but looking at what you say planing speed may have been a tad fast.
So what would you have done if a kid was swimming in the channel or a person was in a canoe etc??
What would have happened if a 8m cat was coming from the other way at a planing speed instead of a stationary boat siting there. That would make a closing speed of planing speed of a 7m cat + the planing speed of an 8m cat.
Funny place to find a boat really, in a water channel.
I'm sorry if my spelling leaves a bit to be desired. I'm the first to admit I'm not perfect.
I apologise if I read the contribution wrong and got the wrong idea.
PS don't go touring in the NT. People do camp on the median strips between lanes on the roads.
First time I saw it I thought there were fires in the shrubs. My sister told me they were aboriginal camps.
Must say though they don't use tents. Too hot for that #:)

choppa
30-04-2006, 08:29 PM
uh oh,,,,here we go!!!!!!!

uripper
30-04-2006, 08:42 PM
..... #like camping in a small dome tent in the middle of the M1 ....
Cheers, flatstrap

how true #how true - similar experience coming back into Scarborough late evening, darkish night with shorelights reflecting off water in front - cut the outer channel marker cause I knew the water was deep enough (about 3/4 tide) - had throttled off to 15+kts (thank God) - when a torchlight appears 15-20 metres DEAD AHEAD - FAAAAAARRK!!!! - #absolutely no chance of stopping (always drive with hand on throttle) so reefed the wheel to port throwing deckie mate all over me (we're standing up in a 19foot c'console) - watch in horror as small tinne flashes past on starboard side about to be hit by my broadside wave - went back to check the damage - well didnt I cop it - no amount of apologies or offer to help him bail out or "oh by the way your supposed have lights" could placate him - have thought about this incident a lot cause it really shook me up - could have been really bad - perhaps I was going too fast to react to the unexpected - but really. a small tinnie sitting in the dark near the entrance to a busy harbour - thats gotta be a risk #like camping in a small dome tent in the middle inside lane of the M1

guess the moral of the story is LOOK OUT LOOK OUT THERE ARE IDIOTS ABOUT

finga64
30-04-2006, 08:49 PM
uh oh,,,,here we go!!!!!!!
Nope sorry Choppa.
Said my piece. Sick of close incidents from all forms of the boating fraternity (ie big boats, little boats and jetski's)
I just wished people navigated with a defensive attitude (gees I hope that's the correct way to say what I mean??) to lessen the impact they have on other people whether they be other boaties or persons in the water or land-based users of our waterways.
Courtesy and consideration to other waterway users seems to be on the decrease.
Sad but true :-[
And remember to expect the unexpected when you least expect it

firefish
30-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Just Reading the posts on this topic........ Do you mean to tell me there is a practical side to getting your boat licence in Queensland?????????????
In Vic. you study a book on rules and regs then sit a mutipal choise test on the computer.......and for an extra $5 you can sit your PWC ticket at the same time. I had a fair bit to do with boats before I sat my licence but had never ridden a jet ski (Still to get near one.......not that Im rushing out to get one of the bloody things). I thought at the time how stupid the system is. A mate who had never driven a boat, went to an info session, paid his money, sat the test and bingo, one boat licence. Mabey thats why there are so many DH's on the water ways down here???????

Scalem
30-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I gave a kid in a tinnie the fright of his life in a NARROW channel once, the only thing to do was stay on the plane which caused the least amount of wash. I slowed back to 6 knots afterward, I was too close to do anything else, appologised to the gentleman in a housboat nearby who, by then was waving his arms so frantically he could have taken off! I will remember that for the rest of my life as a lesson learned, my confidence as a boat driver and ski instructor got the better of me. The difference between ignorance and humility is the recognition of when you are in the wrong, and learning from your mistakes when you are wrong, vowing never to repeat it.

Scalem

Poseidon
01-05-2006, 07:35 AM
All makes alot of sense to me, especially what Nick had to say.
You will find though when someone gives you a gob full for pointing out their wrong doings, it's that they are in fact very embarrassed and their generally small IQ will force them to lash out rather than apologise. Its the way they have behaved all of their lives and it will be carried through anything that they undertake.Beware though,for this species is not adverse to violence as another method of covering up their anti-social abilities.

I envy anyone out there who gets an RDO or 2 a month and has the opportunity to fish during the week, away from the masses, as boat rage will soon become as popular as road rage.

Regards Cameron.

Angla
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I've been out at Wide caloundra and decided to move around at about 7.30pm. I had Spotted a tinny without lights on while traversing the remote searchlight. I didn't keep the light on him at all but after knowing he was there I could pick him up in the bright reflection of the stars.

Of course I Got up on the plane and headed for him with respect of the distance. Never seen anyone wave a stupid dull torch so frantically as him.

IDIOTS. I've got plenty of time to scare the $hi7 out of them. I only hope he and his mate learned a good lesson.

Biteme

tiny_tinny
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
A month or so ago I was fishing from the bank into Tingalpa Creek where it emerges into the Bay. Out of the creek came four people in a ski boat, with a huge outboard on the back - moving at a fair rate of knots. I was wondering if they had travelled from the ramp at that speed, ignoring the "6 knots - no wash" signs near the moorings.

They immediately ran into a sand bank - apparently ignoring the clearly marked channel. They managed to get back into deep water, and took off again at speed only to go the wrong side of the next beacon they came to..........aground again. Did anybody on board have a licence? If they did, they've forgotton what the colours & shapes of beacons mean.

Back into the channel, they were off again, this time one of them kept a lookout sitting on the bows, feet dangling, no bow rails to stop him landing in the drink if they hit another bank. Luckily they didn't. By now they must have figured out the beacons and sped out into the bay. If any of them had a licence, they didn't deserve it.

Seeing so many dumb things done on the water over the years, it's a wonder there aren't more so-called accidents.

Mike

lucylass
04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Just Reading the posts on this topic........ Do you mean to tell me there is a practical side to getting your boat licence in Queensland?????????????
In Vic. you study a book on rules and regs then sit a mutipal choise test on the computer.......and for an extra $5 you can sit your PWC ticket at the same time. I had a fair bit to do with boats before I sat my licence but had never ridden a jet ski (Still to get near one.......not that Im rushing out to get one of the bloody things). I thought at the time how stupid the system is. A mate who had never driven a boat, went to an info session, paid his money, sat the test and bingo, one boat licence. Mabey thats why there are so many DH's on the water ways down here???????

NSW is the same.... answer some questions heres your license... and you can go and buy a 44 steber capable of carnage and destruction.... and the authorities dont even know if you can drive it.

i would like to see licensing split like a motorbike license .. you cant get a bike license and then buy the biggest bike you can

my opinion

bigmack
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Well it always amazes me what happens out on the ocean - we have been quietly anchored up since 4 am working hard on a berley trail with quality baits in the water - waiting for the first runs from the snapper and these idots come up in a tinny only about 30 or 40 feet away - they go up and then back up and then back round & round & round - clank rattle roll, drop something in the bottom of the boat - crash rattle rattle and that'll be it folks. In shallow water - all the fish are spooked.

They end up staying for only ten minutes - declare no bloody fish here and then piss off.

Its unbelievable really - a shake of the head brings absolutely no response.

It sure is harder to find a peaceful patch of water all to yourself.

Phill

Dignity
04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
I still stuff up, too fast, too close sometimes misread a marker but then I keep learning. Never ceases to amaze me though the number of so called boaties in small and big (some huge) boats that always hug the left side of the channel. I try not to move over if I can help it but some of them are adamant they know the rules of the sea. Obviously they missed that one in their test.

Maybe this belongs in another thread but should I drop off the plane and go to 6 knots because boats have decided to anchor in or right next to the channel to fish. Last weekend it would have taken me hours to get where I was going because of this.
sam

flatstrap
05-05-2006, 11:18 AM
My view on this subject of stupid boaties is this: If a boatie puts himself in harm's way (irrespective of boat size), how can he then expect or demand other boaties to be considerate of his position?

We all have to decide what speed is reasonable for the prevailing conditions and drive at that speed. However, it is crazy to play the 'what if' game and factor in EVERY possible scenario in deciding that speed. For example, if you are driving at the posted legal limit and visibility is excellent, roads are dry, etc, do you then factor in unexpected circumstances like: a) What if the truck in front of me suddenly decides to disintegrate in front of me, or a wheel from the opposing lane jumps the median strip, etc. We can go on and on.

The point is, YOU decide where it is safe for you and don't expect someone else to control your destiny. Iy you want to jump off a cliff, you can't say "Why didn't you talk me out of it?"

Your destiny is in YOUR hands. If someone else saves you, it's just a bonus and thank your lucky stars!

fish2eat
05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
I go everywhere at 6 knots, and with the waterways become exponentially more cluttered every year, ITS TIME to wind back the clock to the old days when we all travelled at 6knots (approx) because thats what boats were capable of. The waterways would be a far safer place.

People like Flatstrap have no cause to draw analogies with road use...it is entirely different because there are lines drawn on the road and rules for crossing them. In addition, everyone on the same piece of road is travelling at approximately the same speed.

Severe speed restrictions will happen, just a question of when

hussy
05-05-2006, 06:51 PM
isn,t it funny when losing an argument ,people attack your spelling?maybe its a diversion away from the fact that they are wrong. I own a small tinny and usually some fool in his big boat nearly wipes you out everytime you go fishing. dont know what it is maybe small man syndrome,or a feeling of superiority because he can afford a big boat and can look down on the common old tinny things that constantly spoil his day.maybe they should have a common where the commoners could fish and all putt about at 8 knots,fish in yhe middle of their channels. while there could be a freeway for the bigguns.with no shitbox tinnies to be seen. hussy

seatime
05-05-2006, 07:49 PM
On another thread NSW are introducing some new licensing laws.

Qld's licensing rules have only been law since July '05 and trialled for 12 months before that. TAFE QLD are trying to change the rules so they can conduct the theory sessions with regular teachers not seafarers as defined in the MSQ "Boatsafe" licensing rules. This would set Qld back behind other state standards.
Since the introduction of the new rules in Qld I feel the public is more aware of just how much knowledge is needed to operate a vessel safely.
Sure the boat license courses are still inadequate but they meet the criteria defined by MSQ. In the future there will be length and hp restrictions, there has to be, as hp is relatively cheap these days. It's a crazy situation where a boatie can get a boat license in a 5m tinnie and then go out and buy and operate a 60'+ planing cruiser capable of 35kts.

I'm sure these discussions come to the attention of those in power, one day they will lend weight to them.

cheers, Steve.

robersl
05-05-2006, 08:12 PM
WELL I SLOW DOWN PASSING EVERY ANCHORED BOAT AS I KNOW WHAT IS LIKE TO BE BOUNCED AROUND WHILE FISHING AND I CAN TELL YOU THERE AREA CRAP LOAD OF THEM IN PUMICESTONE PASSAGE

flatstrap
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey listen up guys, the boat is just another type of vehicle just like cars, aircraft etc. You've got to follow the road rules without exception or you will learn it the hard way. Your teacher could be a barge, water taxi or cruise liner. You must not put yourself or your vessel in harm's way PERIOD!

I am sorry I compared a boat to car. It's not even similar in specs. It's much worse! A boat has no brakes, doesn't respond to steering inputs quickly enough, and people regard them as their toys.

There is no argument from me here. So I can't be losing anything if there is no argument. It's called personal responsibility for your actions. If you choose to dress in black leotards (which you may if you wish to) and a black cape, and trundle down the M1 on a fixed wheel tricycle, you will get hurt! No argument from me. And the person/vehicle that teaches you that lesson could be anybody, e.g., a grandmother, a Vietnam Vet, even your local parish priest.

I stress correct spelling so there's no ambiguity in the discussion.

If you wish to wind back the clock, which is not possible, and travel everywhere at 6 knots you can. If low speed makes you FEEL safe, do it. Just remind your Qantas pilot next time you go overseas of your requirements. Welcome to the 21st century and going forward only.

I am sorry if you equate big boat with little man syndrome. Next time I rescue ( twice) a tinnie out of it's area of safety, I will humbly apologise for owning such craft. I use a 7m Cat offshore for it's seaworthiness, not it's snob appeal.

I hope this helps someone. flatstrap

Dignity
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I guess I must be siding with flatstrap. I drive a 20 ft boat and also do venture in a 3.9m tinnie. As per my previous thread - I would not think of anchoring in the middle of a channel or next to one unless I was prepared for the wash. In most cases the wash is worse as boats come off the plane in order to meet road/sea rules. On the weekend I did anchor right nex t to a beacon but I expected wash and certainly was not critical of any boat that went by at speed. It's a case of "boatie beware" - is there a legal term for that :-/
It is more a case of blatant abuse of the rules that irks. Watched many boats ignoring the 6knots No Wash sign from Tipplers south on the weekend (the commercial operators are very blatant in its abuse).

sam

flatstrap
06-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Thank you Sam and the silent others that might just consider the harsh reality that sometimes can happen when we are enjoying our chosen activity. I love boats and enjoy the company of people with experiences of the oean, fishing and nature in general. I also realise that there has to be a balance between enjoying what we choose to do and responsibilities.

I too am irked when big boats (say a 36 ft Riv) disregard the rules and push a massive bow wave along a no wash zone. Jet skis doing doughnuts around a launch area. That sort of behaviour just isn't on when we have to share crowded waterways. The rules (laws/common sense) are there to protect all, even ourselves. Ignoring the facts doesn't mean they don't exist; the reality is that sooner or later it will catch up with you. It can and does happen to people we know.

I am all for everybody enjoying our beautiful waterways and ocean. At the end of the day, the skipper's job is to ensure all have had a safe and enjoyable day. That's the non negotiable rule of boating.

Love this forum...flatstrap

fishin_till_late
06-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Heres an incident, fishing off palmy, absulutly packed, we were anchored by 4 am, got there early to get a spot.

By sunrise theres boats surrounding you being only say approx 20 metres away

By 7 there were guys on ocean kyaks weaving through all these boats, they hook up to a fish within about 3 or 4 metres from the boat, the fish goes around the anchor rope and cuts it.

So we have to head off and buy a new anchor, we asked them several times to keep away from the boat when fishing and just get back at us, shutup dikhead,

they then move off and go near another boat fishing near us, and suprised that the other boat doesnt want them fishing near him either!

I think that's just plain selfish but there's some thoughts of mine

jono

lucylass
06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
WELL I SLOW DOWN PASSING EVERY ANCHORED BOAT AS I KNOW WHAT IS LIKE TO BE BOUNCED AROUND WHILE FISHING AND I CAN TELL YOU THERE AREA CRAP LOAD OF THEM IN PUMICESTONE PASSAGE

yay
good work

lucylass
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
as a person on the water almost everyday with a volunteer marine rescue (yes i am ok with most size boats)

i see a lot of silly things both male and female both small and large boats
and it really only comes down to education, education.

so i agree with dignity and flatstrap

saphire
06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes. Water rage / ramp rage is definately on the increase. Once upon a time it was a pleasure to put the boat in a Jacobs Well. Everyone was friendly and helped each other out and treated each other with respect. Now its scary. I always make sure that Im totally prepared prior to putting my boat in and even then Im scared that someone will go mad at me for doing something not quiet the way that they want me to do it. Im not very good at aggression and confrontations so this makes me very nervous around public boat ramps. I dont think the problem will go away. More people use the waterways then ever and along with this is the great variety in different personalities that use vessels. We can only be responsible for how we behave and treat each other ourselves.
Take care everybody.
saphire.

Dignity
07-05-2006, 09:11 AM
What does 6 knots No Wash mean? At 6 knots my wash is almost worse than when I am on the plane. I usually have to slow down to 4 knots to stop wash and that doesn't bother me. See a lot of big boast especially mustangs etc that put out a huge wash at 6 knots. Maybe Qld Tpt needs to put out an education program. I believe the sign means No Wash and maximinum (not minimum) speed is 6 knots. Your thoughts?

sam

lucylass
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
THat generally means that the speed limit is 6 knots and you can travel that if you dont leave a wash, but if as you said that your boats makes a bigger wash at that speed then you need to slow
down more....

just refering to the NSW Maritime handbook

so what you say is correct

PinHead
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Yes. #Water rage / ramp rage is definately on the increase. #Once upon a time it was a pleasure to put the boat in a Jacobs Well. #Everyone was friendly and helped each other out and treated each other with respect. #Now its scary. #I always make sure that Im totally prepared prior to putting my boat in and even then Im scared that someone will go mad at me for doing something not quiet the way that they want me to do it. #Im not very good at aggression and confrontations so this makes me very nervous around public boat ramps. #I dont think the problem will go away. #More people use the waterways then ever and along with this is the great variety in different personalities that use vessels. We can only be responsible for how we behave and treat each other ourselves. #
Take care everybody.
saphire.

if you are not all that confident, why not try Horizon Shores...costs $10 but I have not witnessed any ramp rage there (yet), plus the staff on the tractors there are quite good and will give a hand if required if they are not too busy.

I had an episode quite a few years back..Mr Perfect was watching me launch my boat...it took all of about 5 minutes..he shakes his head..i asked what the problem was..he said he wanted to back his boat down///this is a 3 lane ramp and I was only using one lane..I soon saw why..this bloke needed all 3 lanes to back down and he had the audacity to try and hurry me along..I just laughed.

flatstrap
07-05-2006, 01:08 PM
G'day Lucylass & Pinhead and other Ausfish members,
LL, you nailed it! The solution to most (if not all) problems in respect of the changing circumstances in our evironment is education, education! As more people discover our wonderful waterways, congestion will be a natural consequence. But, if all were aware that the rules are placed to create order, there is no problem. Can you imagine our road system if no one followed the rules? Angle parking your car on the M1( lane 4) is the same as anchoring the boat (of any size) in a shipping lane or narrow channel.

Hi PinHead,
Why did Mr. Perfect need three lanes to launch his boat?

Cheers...flatstrap

ahoj
08-05-2006, 04:28 PM
You can be forgiven for exeeding the water speed limit by a little and come fast to the ramp But what i cannot forgive is the mothers that have their chidren swim on ramp and around --swimming up to 50 ft to the river.. they would have no chance surviving if someone was to come to ramp a bit faster or a bit under the weather I am for definitely no swimming up to 50 meters from ramp How say you?

Ahoj