PDA

View Full Version : should he pay for it?

-Henno-
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I took a non fishing mate fishing and when we were packing up at the ramp he shut the tail gate of my van on one of my favourite rods shortening it somewhat.

He offered to pay for it. It is now a useless plank. What is the etiquette here? Should I just suck it up or put my hand out?

Any thoughts on this kind of thing?

The_Walrus
03-05-2006, 08:17 PM
He offered so accept the offer.

Luc

lippa
03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
if he's a good mate, he'll arive tommorow with new rod in hand!!

cheers

lippa

StevenM
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
He should pay and the fact that he offered shows he is willing to pay. Accept the offer.

robersl
03-05-2006, 08:40 PM
well you are mates and he is a non fishing mate he may not know what the gear is worth me if he is a mate and breaks a rod so be it and he is sorry for what he has done why charge him accidents do happen after all he is a mate

shane

fishn-ads
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
He's a mate he'll pay and even so you'll be able give him heaps for at least the next 5 years about how he broke your "ROD" ;D

banshee
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
It's entirely up to how you feel about the situation,no one should make this decision for you,it certainly seems cut and dry but you would be surprised at how many people bring rods in that their mates have "shortened" and are just happy that the bloke has offered to pay,a lot chaulk it up to experience and buy the next rod themselves,I supose you have to look at the true value of the rod leaving out sentiment and way all things up,but like I said,in the end it's your call.

iank
03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
broken thru stupidity he/she pays, genuine accident chalk it up to experence.That your mate offered to pay is great but the final decission is still up to you. Bet he never breaks another rod the same way tho.
Cheers Ian

revs57
03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I'd probably chalk it up to experience...but my mates would find a way to make it right

Angla
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I had a mate who went with me and unhooked the anchor chain from the rope. Next time I went out I threw the anchor overboard, Didn't I?

When confronted he denied and wouldn't pay.

I just charged it on the next account I sent him, as I subcontract to him.

Your situation is different. Just accept a reasonable amount from him as he did offer.

Angla

shaman
03-05-2006, 09:11 PM
My big brother fell overboard with my brand new ultra light spinstick and new reel and with the shock of the freezing cold river water dropped it he nearly carked it with an asthma attack on the bank. We laughed our guts up later on. A few weeks later he turned up with a "replacement" for me, a boatrod as thick as ya thumb and was still apologetic. I reckon I've used that rod twice at the most but it still hangs in my shed because he thought it was the ducks guts and he went out of his way to buy it for me. I had already written the rod&reel off when he turned up with the new one. Anyway I think you should write it off and not push the issue and if your mate buys you a new one then you can respect his friendship even more. A good mate is worth way more than a fishing rod.
Billy. :)

TheSaint
03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I've always gone by this rule..

You break it, YOU brought it!

TinarooTriumph
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Accept it mate. Poor fella must feel terrible man, but if he goes out of his way to buy ya a new one, id accept it.

This scenario i have heard before actually. My fathers mate is a bass fishermen down south, and occasionally heads south for alot of Golden Perch comps. Anyway he had ordered a custom made G-Loomis rod from the US of A, and he fished with it for about 5hrs and he was in love with it! Until his wife accidentally slammed the door on it! CRUNCH!

I hope your rod wasnt a G-Loomis Mooksy, and if it was im sure your mate cant wait to find out how much they are worth ;D .

Poor fella.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

choppa
03-05-2006, 09:30 PM
its always a good test of friendship to help out a mate when he's luck is down, to go outta your way to do a favour and know if the chips were turned you would expect the same,,,

but bring cold, harned earned, i might need this to buy somehing better,,CASH into the equation,, and you may be opening a new chapter in the book,,,

give the bloke/gal a slap on the back, and counter offer that he/she buys the next few rounds or something,, then don't let them 4get it,,,,,ever

i bet if that if it was one of the family that broke it, and offered to pay,, you wouldn't have posted this thread,,,,,,,

dasher
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
its always a good test of friendship to help out a mate when he's luck is down, to go outta your way to do a favour and know if the chips were turned you would expect the same,,,

but bring cold, harned earned, i might need this to buy somehing better,,CASH into the equation,, and you may be opening a new chapter in the book,,,

give the bloke/gal a slap on the back, and counter offer that he/she buys the next few rounds or something,, then don't let them 4get it,,,,,ever

i bet if that if it was one of the family that broke it, and offered to pay,, you wouldn't have posted this thread,,,,,,,

I'm with choppa on this one. The guy obviously didn't do it on purpose, and truth be known a lot of us have the same. ;) Give the guy a break, he did offer to replace the rod and in my eyes that is enough. He seems a good friend and I reckon a good result would be laughing it off and advising him he up for a few shouts. ;D Good luck hope all works out for ya both. ;)

dasher
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I had a mate who went with me and unhooked the anchor chain from the rope. Next time I went out I threw the anchor overboard, Didn't I?

When confronted he denied and wouldn't pay.

I just charged it on the next account I sent him, as I subcontract to him.

Your situation is different. Just accept a reasonable amount from him as he did offer.

Angla

Now that would p1ss me off. >:(

P.S. I loved your solution. ;D ;D ;D

Fishin_Dan
03-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I had a friend snap the tip of the rod off on a stinking cattie, and I would never have made them pay for it...

Look at it as a good excuse to buy a newer & better one! ;)

You can always do what I've done too... Use the broken (now shorter) one as a different role... They make a great bait jig rod ;D ;D ;D

blaze
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
mate buys beer and more beer, maybe a wisky or two and you have the pleasure of years of
ya remember that day ya broke my best bloody rod (priceless)
I have had at least 2 rods broken by mates leaving them rigged with sinkers rubbing the side of the rod for 50km trips home, who's fault, they did it but I should have checked that they are derigged.
cheers
blaze

bidkev
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
50/50.

Mate, it was your gear and if the tailgate came down on it, irrespective of who shut the tailgate you mustn't have stowed it properly. Sorry, as any ex or serving defence force will tell you, you're responsible for your own gear.

You're obviously good mates and there is perhaps a bit of embarrassment for both of you. He's offered to pay because he's probably feeling guilty and you're feeling guilty because you probably think he should.

Putting the point to him that you're equally responsible will serve two purposes, or even three. You'll prove to him that you're a sound bloke, it will take half the financial strain off you and half off him, you both meeting half-way will cement your friendship further and you'll both end up laughing about it in the end.

If you were a miserable bastard like me you would make the point that he wasn't checking the tail was clear and he could just have easily chopped your bloody fingers off :o ::) ;D Think yourself lucky ;D

kev

When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't.

DICER
04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
go fifty fifty or whip him with it!

Lone_Wolf
04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
The most valuable commodity here is your friendship(even though he does not fish)

Personally, I do not think it is your decision to make. He broke it and it is his decsion as to what the most reasonable outcome is. Some friends would insist on paying for it, some would not or cannot afford to.

Either way, accept his decision and move on. There is more at stake here than a fishing rod.

cuzzamundi
04-05-2006, 10:32 AM
well said robersl. i know with my best mate my money's his (the other way round at the moment though cos im still dead broke). but yeah, money should be irrelevant i rec kon,

cuzza

snasman
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I've always gone by this rule..

Same rule applies with my gear due to the amount of times ive lent gear to so called friends who then give it back buggered and laugh how funny it was how it broke you get sick of it after a while. I like most, work hard to pay for my gear so why should i have to go out and pay for something again that I already owned.Most important rule is as you hand it over thats when you say it (you break it you own it ).Cheers Snas

Mick
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't even dream of charging a mate for it. No one getting in my boat sets out to intentionaly break anything. A genuin appology is all that is needed. If there is no appology he doest come fishing again.

hot_spottie
04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
He offered so accept the offer.

Luc
that says it all

this is mi 50th post :) :)

maximus 8-)

blaze
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi snas
different thing if someone borrows off me, the rules is if you borrow it and damage it you replace, but for the original post I feel its different.
cheers
blaze

land_based
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
As others have said let it slide, tell him he owes you a beer or two. A couple of weeks ago my mate threw my cast net over a nice snag at boggy creek, told me hed have a new one for me next week, told him not to worry about it

mat_anderson04
04-05-2006, 07:39 PM
hay mate i hope ur non fishing mate dosent read ausfish ahahah

onerabbit
04-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Had a certain deckie drop $450 worth of gear over the side a while back. Wouldn't charge him for it , even if I could. So much more value in constantly bringing up "the $450 splash" & asking "where's the Alvey" Isn't that right Charlie !!!!!

Muzz

DICER
05-05-2006, 06:53 AM
yes its also a laugh when your rock climbing and your friend just drops your rack 40m down the cliff.... ha ha splash. Funny, now how do you get down????

No but seriously, if it is not essential, be prepared that one day it will break. Be a Buddist.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-05-2006, 07:00 AM
its all your fault !

You picked him. #

:-/
# [smiley=clown.gif] # #[smiley=dunce.gif]

Burley_Boy
05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Crackup thread.
Ok so now you're a few days down so its not a spontaneous response. If you're going to be annoyed over it then its just as important to dare I say it, get closure and leave it behind.
Either drop it and make it a jig rod or tell him you're buying a new one and will he go halves.

It will mean that once he has paid he'll consider that the end of the matter and so should you. Sure is better than having sour grapes over it.

At the same time we have to realize that our non fishing non boating friends will not have the skill to help launch, retrieve, put bungs in or load rods, so you have to take that into consideration when you invite them around and ensure they don't get a chance to do any damage to themselves or your gear.

nick1971
05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
how pissed did you get him and how old was the rod. Mates will always do the right thing. as the old saying goes peolpe come and go but mates are for ever. I would hate to hear that a mateship ended over a piece of broken rod. sometimes it feels much better to rib them over the next how ever many years about the time he broke your rod.

Nick.

robersl
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
well said robersl. i know with my best mate my money's his (the other way round at the moment though cos im still dead broke). but yeah, money should be irrelevant i rec kon,

cuzza

THANKS CUZZA
I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE I PUT A WORM FORK INTO A MATES FOOT BY ACCIDENT ONE DAY HOW DO YOU REPLACE THAT AND WE ARE STILL THE BEST OF MATES YOU STICK BY ONE ANOTHER THROUGH THICK AND THIN IF A MATE OFFERS YOU TURN IT DOWN BECAUSE THERE WILL BE A TIME IN LIFE WHEN YOUR MATE STICKS BY YOU WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST

SHANE

madmix
05-05-2006, 08:54 PM
if it is a really good quality rod, take it to a good takle store
or rod builder, they may be able to put a new tip on relatively
cheaply.
I have had a couple of rods re tipped over the years, from memory
under $20
also have a couple of cheaper rods that I have left shortened and
fitted roller tips, stil make good boat rods.

If you have allready chucked it bad luck,
if your mate replaces it, accept it graciously, just like grandmas xmas
pressies.

But dont press the point

Flash
06-05-2006, 06:08 AM
He's a non fisher you say.

How good a mate could he possibly be then?
;D ;D ;D :D ::) ::) ;)

bushbeachboy
06-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Let it go and laugh about it, then forget about it. Always load your rods yourself. A good mate is priceless.

vossy
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
It will test out how much of a mate he is.
my opinion is that he should regardless whether he offers or not

bo_sawyer
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
i ruined a mates cast net and TOLD them i was going to pay for it. If i was your mate, I'd be out to the tackle shop the next day because a piece of fishing gear aint worth having hard feelings over.

roz
10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
How about you split the difference, and allow him to pay something toward a new one, that way he will feel a lot better about the accident.

You will then be able to get a replacement without too much pain.

Roz

Heath
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Henno,

what was the bloody rod doing outside of the tailgate!!!!

snappa
10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
broken thru stupidity he/she pays,

genuine accident chalk it up to experence

"TAKE HALF"..

who put the rods inside van >>>> ???

bugga !!!!!....

i hope it doesnt happen to me.. because then i will have to make a decision ... :-[