PDA

View Full Version : when flatties harm!

cuzzamundi
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
gday all,

was fishing with fastmantis other night down castle hill way for eels for shark bait. anyway, pulled in a coupla nice lizards. both of size. both returned. unfortunately as i grabbed the secong one on the bottom jaw he gave a massive headshake and made a meal of my thumb - no glove worn!!! at that stage we both examined the wound, cursed the bugger, threw him back and fished on. i saw ALL the cr#p in the pine river had entered my wound, but negligently forgot to fully clean it out when i got home. next day started to hurt, so put some savlon on. next day started to kill, so lost my cool and went to docs. day after that i was in EXCRUCIATING pain and my thumb was up like a balloon. also had red lines running down my arm. blood poisoning i thought. anyway to cut a long story short what started out as a simple cut ended up being admission to hospital and pumped with strong antibiotics! three days of absolute hell that pain was. even a ray barb or h' moment didnt get me anywhere near as much. so yeah, just thought i'd urge everyone to be vigilant when it comes to cleaning their wounds, especially in the pine!!! i had become way too complacent and it was a good kick up the butt for me to have. so please, always take care of your wounds fellas (and ladies). i nearly lost my thumb yesterday. bent rods to all, and remember the gloves when grabbing those lizards!

cuzza

choppa
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
i've warned others before mate about the closeness of that narangba nuke site to the pine,,,

it didn't glow in the dark did it??????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(i thought mantis would have been wearing those special cement shoes by now,,, ;D ;D)

choppa

cuzzamundi
07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
lol choppa! yeah mate the lizard didn't seem to glow - had three eyes tho. seems to be the normal thing in the pine. probly why i'm so odd , ive eaten too many things from there. mantis's shoes have been fitted and he'll be wearing them hopefully tomorrow night!!! clug clug clug.

i'll just add that the docs at the hospital said that its important if you get infected by anything in the water to make sure you tell em. apparently they are totally different bacteria and therefore require different antibiotics. i told the g.p. a fish bit me - you'd reckon that'd allude to water!!! but yeah, never again!

cuzza

bungie
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Seem to remember Touchy i think it was nearly losing a thumb. Spent a bit of time in hospital too. :-/

Streetkid
07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
A few years ago I spent total of 13 days in hospital in one year for two seperate infections, four days of which I was quarantined so I well and truly feel your pain mate and I bet you'll be more carefull next time.

ibbo
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
My old man nearly lost his thumb twice, once did the same thing with a flatty in tinny creek.

Second time nearly lost thumb to his OWN filleting knife.

2 rules come out of that.

1 - allways gloves when handling flathead now on. ::)

2 - Dont fillet fish pi$$ed :o :o

roz
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Cuzza,

I feel your pain!

Glad to hear you got treatment in time, those buggas can lull you into a false sense of security by sometimes not moving until after you've picked them up.

I've been to hospital to have a hook removed from my hand, been stung by a black trevelly, but nothing hurts more than being careless around flathead.

Get well soon!

Roz

blue-mako
07-05-2006, 07:31 PM
thers a spot u can pick them up under neath them... u hold them behind ther pectoral fins... but yes i no how flatties can cut u up quite good and easily

cheers, troy

cuzzamundi
07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
thanks heaps roz! they are exactly that! i became complacent and paid the price. i bet the black trevor woulda hurt!

unreal streetkid. i cant believe how sick you became. musta been darn hairy!!

yeah ibbo #thanks for the heads up with the knife. i guess it aint just restricted to the creatures emselves!

cuzza

cuzzamundi
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah troy i did that AFTER the fact - i just needed to get hold of his mouth closely so i'd stop him headshaking - worked a treat, lol. but yeah, from now on thats all i'll be #doing mate.

cuzza

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I feel for you Cuzza. I was stung by a bloody catfish some months ago now and my finger is still sore and out of shape. >:( I guess we all need a touch up sometimes to remember how dangerous some creatures can be. Bloody painful lessons though! ;)

Cheers
Dave

cuzzamundi
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
gday dave,

far out those bl@@dy croaking scum!!! sorry kev, but crikes they cause so much grief. ive been done four times by them now, but never as bad as you were dave. well ive heard of some stings coming good after months of pain, so hopefully your reprieve isnt too far away! did you get it x rayed? maybe some of the spine got caught in there. they did that to me co s they thought some of the teeth may have broken off into the wound. so yeah, maybe get that done if it aint getting better. sorry to hear that.

cuzza

Angla
07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Cuzza, I always go by the rule.

Rule 1. Catch a fish, put the GLOVEon!

Rule 2. If you don't want to put the glove on see Rule 1.

Sorry to hear of your pain, but it is a lesson and thanks for sharing it as it may make others less complacent.

Angla

land_based
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
That sucks cuzza,when i cut myself on an anal fin of a bream when i was in the pine i put my hand in the water because i thought the salt water would be good for it :-? Won't be doing that again, on another note, did you get any bullies?

onerabbit
07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
This may belong in the myth-busters thread, but I over heard an old bloke one night on how to handle flatties, & yes I have tried it , & most times it works.

Stick your finger on their bum & squeeze. ( you have to imagine the look on the flatties face )
They usually stay quite still.

Muzz

ozrick
08-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Lemon juice is good for cleaning out a wound and stopping an infection ;)
When diving up north we used to always have some lemons in the boat in case we cut by coral or what ever ......i think the warmer the water the more bactera there is

charleville
08-05-2006, 07:42 AM
This sounds like a repeat of the story told on this website a couple of years ago by Touchy who nearly lost his thumb to a flathead spike.

I recall that he was in hospital fror quite a while. Nugget interviewed his wife on the radio to inquire as to how he was going and how it happened.

That whole story left an indelible mark on my memory and I treat flathead very warily now. In fact, I have just bought a lip gripper just to control them a bit more when I unravel them from the landing net.

Gbanger
08-05-2006, 11:19 AM
i thought i was doing myself a favour, bought a new 9inch kershaw filleting knife... sharp as buggery, first day on the boat 3 people got deep cuts...

im going to leave it at home from now on...

MulletMan
08-05-2006, 11:41 AM
I once say a guy holding a good size tailor between his bare legs to get the hooks out - it slipped and on the way down took a nice chunk of his inner thigh out!
Never seen so much blood in my life!

fish2eat
08-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm a compulsive gove buyer.....there's a liquidation store where we shop that sells leather garden gloves for $1 a pair.....I keep several pairs on the boat, in the tackle box, the wading bag......all as a result of a bad flattie mishap 2 years ago. What's worse, I didn't get to eat the bastard as he escaped back into the water after cutting my hand to shreds

fish2eat
08-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm a compulsive glove buyer.....there's a liquidation store where we shop that sells leather garden gloves for $1 a pair.....I keep several pairs on the boat, in the tackle box, the wading bag......all as a result of a bad flattie mishap 2 years ago. What's worse, I didn't get to eat the bastard as he escaped back into the water after cutting my hand to shreds

choppa
08-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Stick your finger on their bum & squeeze. ( you have to imagine the look on the flatties face )

# # They usually stay quite still.

do you mean you actually,,,,,,(nah,,,,,dont go there choppa)

no,, i really want to know,,,do you mean,,,,,,,,,(choppa,,,,don't go there)

no seriously,,,you put ya finger,,,,,,,(FINAL WARNING)

I BET they lay quite still,,,,,,,,,how many swim back to you when ya release them?????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

now theres a fishing study grant in the making if ever i've heard one

Roo
09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D choppa, its ON BUM. no UP BUM.

Its a two part strategy. you hold them in the palm of your hand bum up and with your thumb ON BUM. the arch in their back seems to calm them and the thumb is a threat if they don't behave ;D ;D ;D

cheers, roo

choppa
09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
lmao ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

or should i say,,,,,nah i wont

i bet it takes away the pain of the hook in there mouth as well :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

webby
09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
There's a Myth and I've never tried it, having not been spiked by a lizard, is that onced spiked rub your finger or area thats been spiked on the belly area of a lizard, the mucus or protective coating they carry suppossely nullifies the infection :-/
regards

onerabbit
09-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Is no myth webby, the slime on their belly DEFINITELY helps the pain of being spiked.
Cheers orby, maybe I should have been clearer on the subject, but yes thats how I do it, get 'em on their back, pick em up with your thumb on the 'hole.

Muzz

SCOTTYGC
10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
i have tryed the slime on the area and it seemed to work fine

give it a go next time

scotty

Steve_Monckton
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
This does work quite well but your mates in the boat stay their distance away from you after that.
# # This may belong in the myth-busters thread, but I over heard an old bloke one night on how to handle flatties, & yes I have tried it , & most times it works.

# # Stick your finger on their bum & squeeze. ( you have to imagine the look on the flatties face )
# # They usually stay quite still.

# # Muzz

fastmantis
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Gday all,
the lizzard remedy may work but as i am involved the the health industry i would also advise u all to clean any wound with fresh water and soap really well not the water where u r at as u are inviting more of the same bacteria into the wound. also at least carry some bandaids due to your loss of skin integrity to cover the wound after all the fishing must continue but better safe then sorry and lastly some of us just don't have as good a immune system as others for certin bacteria so wash wounds well and keep em covered.

Happy safe fishing all
Mantis
P.S still waiting for my concrete shoe don't think have em in my size

shayned
10-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear it cuzza, I did the same thing at the hornibrook but must have got one with better dental hygene. Still thanks for the heads up its the last time I try lipping anything bare naked.

cuzzamundi
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
gday all,

feeling much better now that ive been sharking up north for two days, so thanks heaps for the well wishes. she's gettn there.

gday rob,
nah mate - just fishn for eels that night. havent scored one there tho for a good few weeks now. last one went 5ft, which is the usual for there. was hoping for some 10plus footers up bundy way before go back down to syd but it didnt happen mate. even up there no cigar! not even bulls! ah crikey, thats sharkn for ya. had our three lines out for 48 hrs for zip.we gotta go out next time im up mate - still havent met ya! im a slack ba#tard! talk real soon anyway mate. u gonna be sharkn over the off season?

gday webby,
it does work cos ive done it with catties, but as mantis said, its still open for infection. it'll ease the pain though mate.

cuzza

choppa
10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
gday all,

gday webby,
it does work cos ive done it with catties, but as mantis said, its still open for infection. it'll ease the pain though mate.

cuzza

hang on cuzza,,, can you clarify this for me,,,,your not talking about laying them on their backs and.........(choppa,,enoughs enough)

sorry,,, i refuse to read this post any more,,, you guys are a bad influence,,,, what you do to poor lizards and cats is your business,, and i am not becoming part of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D(stick ya finga on there bum,,,can't get over it,,,) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D