PDA

View Full Version : Tailor in swimming enclosure

Dodgy_Back
08-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Fellas

I heard a rumour that one of the swimming enclosures at the Goldy is full of Tailor !!

Is it true ?

Mick

rando
08-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I dont know of any swimming enclosures on the Goldcoast, where are they??? :)

Jitlands
08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
They are there but its hard to get a crack at them, the raider keeps getting fouled on the victorians. They really bung on a turn when they have a trebble in some of that white flab

rando
08-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Jitlands
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Craigus
08-05-2006, 02:08 PM
They are there but its hard to get a crack at them, the raider keeps getting fouled on the victorians. They really bung on a turn when they have a trebble in some of that white flab #

Classic #;D ;D ;D :P

fish2eat
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
The only enclosure I know of is the one at Southport on the western side of the Broadwater

fish2eat
08-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure there must be better places to chase tailor than up the swimmers of Victorian tourists. However, it is easy to explain why the tailor are there.

Through observation I have often noticed large schools of whiting and mullet around swimmers at beaches because the feet in the sand help stir up the worms crustaceans and shellfish. tailor are a predator that hand out around whiting and mullet.......

Jitlands
08-05-2006, 03:13 PM
The enclosure provides cover for baitfish and therefore predators will sniff them out, no doubt they can get in and may find it similar to the "kid in a lolly shop"

We tend to think of tailor as a surf/rock option but I have caught them upstream from the barges in Bells Creek ( Caloundra) and saw a well conditioned fish of about 5lbs taken on fly two weeks ago upstream of a barrage Gold Coast canals, one of those ones that let flood tide in then hold it back a a preset level?????

roz
08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I remember somebody once put a couple of small sharks in the saltwater baths at Bondi once :o ;D :o ;D :o!!!

There is only so much fun you can have in a 50 metre freestyle race.

Roz

Burley_Boy
09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Hmm thats an idea Roz,
What a cool idea, sharks and Pelicans at the Harley Park lagoon, beauty of a tourist attraction. ;D

Darryl
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Bondi rescue had it on there show a while back, seems some fisho's thought it would be a laugh to throw a wobbygong in the pool. ;D

Az
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
i think it was a port jackson shark, was good for a laugh

Dodgy_Back
11-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Well , the things you learn !

I had a try at the swimming enclosure yesterday, and what do you know, ther are Tailor in them , only small but Tailor all the same.
Got about 8 in half hour.
A little bit of fun while waiting around.
Mick

blaze
11-05-2006, 08:51 AM
hi mick
now come on mate, is it really fair to catch fish when they cant escape LOL
how big are these enclosures, like size of a swimming pool or a lake
cheers
blaze
ps
like the shark idea though, couple of decent whites may be the go

Az
11-05-2006, 09:37 AM
are these teh ones near pardise point? is it netted or enclosed?

Viking
11-05-2006, 10:19 AM
It is the one opposite the Grand Hotel - it's made by using a bulldozer to build a sand bank enclosure with a tidal opening at one side to flush it out. However on a very high tide the water comes completely over the sand banks. It's probably the size of 2 olympic swimming pools. It often gets silted up and they put a dredge inside it and pump the sand out. When the water is clear you will often see the tailor sitting near the bottom with people swimming over the top of them. You're not to meant to fish there though there are council signs up saying fishing is prohibited.

Cheers,
Bruce.

Dodgy_Back
11-05-2006, 12:13 PM
It's the one at Paradise point, netted
Mick