PDA

View Full Version : Diver hurt at Scottish Prince

gogecko
08-05-2006, 03:35 PM
According to the Bulletin, a diver is lucky to still have his leg, after surfacing underneath a drifting dinghy and hitting his prop. It broke clean thru 2 bones, and could have been a lot worse.

I must admit, Ive been uncomfortable while fishing for livies and seeing big airbubbles right underneath. Although I stay 30-40m away from the dive flag, it seems divers stray much further than 30m.

Whats going wrong here? Are dive group operators taking inexperienced guys to the wrong spot? Are they all jap tourists? Dont get me wrong, some of my mates are divers, but this isnt the spot for diving is it?

A propellor collision will ruin your day.

Andrew

Lucky_Phill
08-05-2006, 10:33 PM
A drifting dinghy with the prop turning ????

Due to the high population of boats seeking baitfish and other types at the Arti, I am surprised the dive fraternity are going there, knowing the risk involved due to inexperienced divers, current and general directional misadventures.

Phill

DICER
09-05-2006, 05:02 AM
I don't understand. If it was poor visibility and the boat travelling at some speed then I would think so. Usually when you surface you look up and when on the surface around. This guy sports broken legs also, either he was trying to go down after seeing the boat coming or he was unlucky to surface with his legs first. The drifting dinghy makes it all sound weird. Did the diver hear anything apart from the prop?

gogecko
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Yes, it does sound a bit strange. Visibility was excellent, wind and current were light, depth is 30ft. I think your right dicer, if the legs were hit, the guy must have been trying to get out of the way.

As for the engine running, I suppose the dinghy was moving using his sounder, looking for baitfish. When the dive boat gets the best spot and puts up a flag, the bait are usually right on the edge of the 30m exclusion zone. Even in a slight current, youd have to move often to stay in the right spot.

Im glad to hear Im not the only one who thinks the dive fraternity are in the wrong spot. Its probably just one irresponsible dive group owner chasing the dollar. I reckon most dive groups are pretty good, and very high on safety.

Andrew

Burley_Boy
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Dive group in the wrong spot... don't agree.
It's a flippin wreck dive. I'd rather see it closed off to fishing than closed off for diving. Livies are a plenty at the baitgrounds, 12's 24's etc etc.
Saw a chap with his anchor right on the wreck the other day, fair go guys.
Anchor up sure but off the wreck! Visibility was clear enough to see evrything from up top at the time and he drops his pick smack bang over the top.
We either learn to share the resources or wait for the authorities to decide for us and that sucks.

Would I be drifting around with my motor in gear within 30M of a dive flag hmm I'd have both my eyes and ears in gear if so..
If I was a diver I'd also do my damndest to come up within a few metres of my dive flag in such a spot unless there was an emergency I suppose.

Sorry to be the anomaly on the thread Andrew, no offence you're a cool dude and I enjoy your posts but if were talking morons out there there seems to be more dicks with a rod than a tank if you get my drift. And I'm not even a diver...yet :)

gogecko
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
No offence taken BB. Its always cool to hold opposing views and still be mates. I agree, there is a lack of common sense on both sides.

Dumb fishos can look after themselves, but inexperienced divers dont know the risks they face and should be looked after by tour group leaders.

As you can tell, Im a bit sensitive to lazy diving instructors after bursting an eardrum on my first and only dive. Apologies to all the good dive instructors out there, I know theres lots of good guys too.

OzeDiver
11-05-2006, 04:22 PM
i was out there earlier that morning (diving) and heard the news on my way home. i don't get how the prop hit his legs though? if he was ascending he would've been looking up and should've been fairly close to his boat/flag so the only reason is if he was swimming on surface or going back down to avoid the boat? and being a wreck dive you wouldn't really stray far from the wreck and there was hardly any current there (when i was there anyways) and excellent viz. So it would've had to be the boats fault in my opinion.

Well my dive was great. First time out there a bit chilly on the surface but 23 degress in the water, excellent viz and no current.
sad to hear about the diver though.

oh yeah and if the diver was coming from a boat you would usually ascend up the anchor line? so maybe it was the divers fault if he was to far from his boat/flag??

Daniel_Trenfield
11-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Gecko, the Bulletin was not telling fibs.

My mate from fisheries was doing inspections at couran, then got the call on the radio about this diver.

They met the boat to find his right leg really bad - cut thru the bone in a couple of places & chopped up right up to the thigh. Davo is still shook up just from seeing it.

The ambo's met him at VMR ramp & took him away.

Haven't heard any more but I guess he won't be diving for a while.

Dan.