PDA

View Full Version : GOOOOOGLE EARTH

youngfisho
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Just a quick post to see how many ausfishers have got this program on their computer and how many if any use it for their fishing journeys. The footage in some areas is still in its infancy but some of the images of the southern and mid moreton bay is really good for establishing depth contours and marks. As the search page allows you to key in gps coordinates so you could effectivley plot your course and print it out before you even hit the water or explore new areas which you previously drove past.

what do ya rekon???????

andrew

strongy
09-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey youngfisho , yes i got it and as you say the places you can see and the areas that you previously drove or more importantly motored past in you boat is great to see, areas in the bay , pumilstone passage the great sandy straits all the backwaters and creeks there`s plenty to see and ponder ..ahh need more holidays... cheers Stongy

Jim_Byrne
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Great program isn't it! Not sure how many people use it though?

aussiefool
10-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Yer I d/loaded the free version and had a look at my place( don't we all?),anyway what I saw was a shot showing about 2 years ago if not more as I can not see the garden shed I put in at least 2 years ago :'(

MulletMan
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Wish I could afford the Pro version as it lets you zoom in much closer to everything! :-/ :-/

TinarooTriumph
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Its extremely usefull for my fishing. Planning trips, navigation on the water, its perfect! As PinkPanther said zooming is abit of a bother, but never the less a great thing to have on your computer.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

FishHunta
10-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Sorry boys i'm new to this. How do i get it???

iank
10-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Find it great for checking out the canals for pontoons before I go exploring new areas on the GC chaseing bream, nothing worst then going up canals with next to no pontoons ect.
Cheers Ian

MulletMan
10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
FishHunta, go to www.limewire.com and download the program. Magic site and then just type in what you are looking for and up come all the PC's in the world where you can swipe stuff for free.
Naturally I do not do not ever do or condone this illegal operation ;) ;)

fastmantis
10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I have found google earth quite handy but it can also be very misleading some area's the contrasting of the image is very poor and u can easily mistake channels with dark lines from poor contrast/image quality. so i would say very handy but would not bet the sheep station that its right or my fishing trip

here is the link to download a free version of google earth http://earth.google.com/downloads.html

Happy fishing all
Mantis

cuzzamundi
10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
agree with mantis on that one!!!! be careful - try checking marine charts etc for the accurate info you need! i wouldnt rely on google earth. we have, and paid for it. not anymore!

cuzza

25_ponies
10-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Wish I could afford the Pro version as it lets you zoom in much closer to everything!

TPP, I've got the pro version, I'm pretty sure the image database is the same for all the versions. The only differences I know of are the saving/printing resolution is higher, and you can import your GPS tracks/waypoints.

Just in case anyone was wondering how accurate the GPS mapping is to GE - check this out - I went for a drive with my handheld and then transferred the track to GE.

Canoedle
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
It's a great reference, I use it to spot launch locations for the kayak in places I've never been before, it's got me to some great spots.

MulletMan
10-05-2006, 09:17 PM
You are probably right 25_Ponies!
Ummmmmmmmmmm, like ah, is that your house??

strongy
10-05-2006, 09:57 PM
:-? Nice house 25_ponies wow plenty of parking for your fishing buddies ;) ;D

Fishin_Dan
11-05-2006, 02:07 AM
That's pretty accurate 25 Ponies! Of course that would have to be your place... Need all the room for all those baby horses ;) ::)

Youngfisho - I use it a bit to look for standout shallow reefs for which to start sounding around looking for new grounds.. I just put the cursor on the edge of the reef, and punch those co-ords into my GPS. Then go to that spot (carefully) and start searching around all over... I used to put the cursor in the middle of the reef, but that changed the first time I went out to sound around when I noticed the bottom just below the boat :-X Whatever you do... DO NOT USE GE FOR NAVIGATING!!!

Jim_Byrne
11-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up on not using it for navigation purposes. I haven't hit anything yet and don't wana!