PDA

View Full Version : Boat License - Qld

coraltrout68
06-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi all,

I have had a boat license for 20 years, I had a look for my boat license the other day and couldn't find it (dont think i've seen it for years).

I remember hearing (some time back) that if the Police want to check that you have a boat license they ask for your drivers license and do the appropriate checks.

Is this true?

Or do I need to get a new boat license? #If so, would I go to Qld Transport?

Thanks

Shane

fishn-ads
06-05-2006, 10:48 PM
That's the go now Shane there all electronic, it's been a couple of years since the last time I was done at Tanga. If they license check you they do it by radio, They called there base who would look it up on the database I guess.

Ads

joeT
07-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Yep, all 'virtual licence' now, so no paper licence issued. Which is a bit inconvenient when you want to hire boats etc. With on water checks they usually ask if you have a licence and thats it.

I once had a copper on a jetski ask to see my licence, I told him it was virtual now, and he replied 'thats right'. I think he uses that line to catch out those who are faking it - which doesn't really work because they used to issue licences before anyway...

longtail
07-05-2006, 07:45 AM
#
I once had a copper on a jetski ask to see my licence, I told him it was virtual now, and he replied 'thats right'. #I think he uses that line to catch out those who are faking it - which doesn't really work because they used to issue licences before anyway...

i had a copper ask me the same thing one day , got the shock of his life when i produced it #;D ;D ;D

he said he had never seen one before , and wanted to have a good look at it #:o ;D ;D

cheers
jason

Mad-One
07-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Still need a copy of ya paper licence if ya go interstate though

TheSaint
07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
It is a 'Virtual' licence tho you still need to produce your letter with your drivers licence if asked by the police by law.. & more i think of it i believe you need to carry it on your boat & always when you are riding a Jetski..

robersl
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
NEVER WAS ISSUED WITH A LETTER JUST RESIEPT THAT FADED AND COULD NOT BE READ ANYWAY IF GOING INTERSTATE YOU PROB HAVE CONTACT THEM FOR A PRINTOUT

fastmantis
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I was told a coupe of years ago by queensland transport that i didn't need to carry anything apart ffrom my drivers licence which proved i was me and they can check the rest themself just so long as can positively identify u.

Happy fishing all
Mantis

Fishej
12-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Details of boat licence are stored on your car licence. Fisheries checked me out a couple of months ago but I can't remember what they did with my licence. One guy was looking at that while the other had me pulling my boat apart. There was never anything to find. I do keep my reciept (which I laminated) in the boat and out of the sun incase I go interstate. They don't have access to Qld records.

Fishin_Dan
13-05-2006, 01:32 AM
I photocopied the paper license so its quiet small, and keep it in my wallet. I travel to Sydney a bit, and have a friend who owns a boat, so drive it a bit. If the cops down there ask, I've got a copy of it.

tiny_tinny
13-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I asked the Transport Dept about the boat licence - I had mislaid my paper copy, and they told me the same thing about not needing one in Qld, because the Police or Boating & Fisheries officers could check by radio. I am pretty sure that they said that next time I reniewed my car licence, the boat licence would appear on that as an endorsement (like a motor bike licence).

Mike