PDA

View Full Version : Been looking at this chat for weeks

bonka
11-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

A while ago I crossed the ditch from NZ to live here in this terrific place called the Gold Coast. Bought an old 16ft'r a month or so back and been reading like crazy to learn how to fish over here. First time out solo through the Seaway and straight to dead mans...what the hell is this??? 5m breaking waves, did I turn around fast.... Anyway, after taking my heart pills I saw the correct exit and headed out to the 24s thanks to gps spots I found on "The Fishermans" site. Fed fish all day. Been out a couple more times and still enjoy feeding fish but nothing brought home to pacify the misses. Did catch [smiley=end.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] some grinners I was told. Quite excited I was, never seen them before. Thought they were cat fish? LOL

Any chance of meeting up with someone out there willing to "show me the way"?

Bonka

Jeremy
11-05-2006, 12:41 PM
welcome to ausfish bonka. You might get a few kiwi jokes now and again, nothin you ain't heard before I'm sure.

There are quite a few people on here from the Gold Coast who will give you some tips. Watch the reports pages too.

Jeremy

Argle
11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Keep an eye on the "going fishing" section, always people looking for deckys there. Good way to find your way around. Welcome to the circus too by the way ;)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

rainbowrascal
11-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Bonka
Maybe the M&Gs(meet and greets) in your area could be worthwhile. This will give you the opportunity to talk to fishos from your area who could pass on a bit of their treasured info (gps marks for a few beers) and possibly give you the opportunity to fish with someone else to check out different techniques. Hope this helps.
Paul.

bonka
11-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I always knew you Ozzies were friendly and as an "old fart" really appreciate this advice. I'll do as you recommend.

Jokes? After I get used to this site I may post a few of my own...will I get the sack if they're a bit off?

Do you think, due to the forecast for the Coast this Saturday AM I would be a bit unwise in planning to venture out? Not too sure what the wind conditions equate to yet..

rossco
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
ok i'll start

why don't kiwi take there grilfriends to the footy?

they try to jump the fence to eat the grass.

cheers
rossco

rossco
11-05-2006, 04:34 PM
welcome also bonka, hope you enjoy ausfish as much as we do.

cheers
rossco

baldyhead
11-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Crikey M8..hope that you turned the lights out before you left NZ

subzero
11-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Welcome bonka, born in Marton, raised in Palmerston North myself, only been out here 10 years... wish I had come 30 or 40 years ago, love the place... shame about the crappy beer though....
If you want to get on good in here, add go the mighty Maroons or go the Bronco's on your signature.
Learn that people South of you are colour blind and favour blue, (crappy colour), and that people from Tasmania are actually Taswegians, have 2 heads, and are apparently all related to each other. (Nor are they allowed to be placed on the map).
Also remember, different States in Aus call different sized beer glasses different things, I always say just give me your biggest one, saves the embarresment.
If you ask for a dozen scallops, you will get potato fritters, you ask for a hot dog, you get a frank in a bun, you ask for a packet of durex, they will direct you to a stationary shop, ask for a pin... you will get a pen, and lastly, the Aussies are really quite misserable buggers... no matter how much you plead, when you do come across a nice looking sheep somewhere their is no bloody way they will share ;)

All the best mate
Cheers Lloyd

Oh, 1 last thing, if you are at a footy match and they start eying you up for a stouch, just yell Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi, that will confuse them and get you safely outa there :)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-05-2006, 07:25 AM
kiwi jokes ?

you mean like their Rugby League team ? ;)

chris

welcome Bonka !

maztez
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Gidday BONKA welcome to AUS and AUSFISH ;D I know you will love both experiences as there are some great characters members of this site ::) as said before keep lookout for a meet and greet in this area and join in ,,,youll learn and enjoy and make good friends on the way ...
cheers Terry

nick1971
12-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Welcome Bonka,

As you coming from NZ, one ? I would like to ask is "do sheep get sea sick" LOL

Once again welcome to Ausfish an Aus Bro.

Nick.

jim_farrell
12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Subzero, just wondering how you work out that some sheep are better looking than others!!!!!! ;D ;D

Welcome bonka.

I'll be on the water before the sun sunday morning, grand ramp. Callsign 'TREADSETTERS'. Best thing you can do is watch where I go then head in the other direction. Guaranteed to catch you fish. ;)

Best advice I can give for the goldie is find out what is biting, and target one or two species. Start in close. Work out close grounds before you go to far. Trag and tailor should be starting now and even I can catch them. Try the artificial reef at narrowneck or livies around the twelve fathom grounds.
Good luck mate.

bonka
12-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Flick, I'm looking to go out tomorrow but have been advised against it due to weather? Sadly,mothers day has knocked out Sunday. Currently don't have a radio but plan to go 27meg shortly so will note your call sign and buzz back.

Question. What are Trag. Question again. If I don't catch anything apart from grinners, how do I tell what's biting? silly questions eh?

Feel free to PM me.

subzero
13-05-2006, 05:53 AM
flick, they must be natural blondes... only one way to check ;)

agnes_jack
13-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Welcome to Ausfish Bonka!sounds like you will fit in well :D

Sorry about this but I can't let an opportunity go by........How do you tell when a Kiwi is on the level??..................He dribbles out both corners of his mouth at once!!!!!

Sorry.... Regards, Tony ;D