PDA

View Full Version : Evans Head Comp!

The_Tub
16-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Gday everyone :)

I was wondering if the evans head competition is on again this year.
As of the last comp there was talk about not having it there,because the place was barron of fish for a long time afterwards :-[
It is good for the town but the fishing suffers alot after the comp.

Tony_N
17-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Haven't heard. But hope its not on. Last years decimated the fishing - its only just recovering.

onerabbit
17-05-2006, 12:21 PM
1000 fishermen, possibly taking their bag limit every day they can fish, over 7 days of competition.....& of course timed to coincide with the snapper spawn.

No wonder the locals struggle to catch a fish after its over.

I hope it's off.

Muzz

Gorilla_in_Manila
17-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Will be interesting to hear what Nugget, Mono and their Bewitchy Jump Chimpeters have to say on this. :-/

Cheers
Jeff

banshee
17-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I doubt it will ever be cancelled there are to many people in the commercial sector making shit loads of money at a time that was traditionaly very slow for the town,these same people (bar one) have absolutely no interest in the welfare of the local fishery and are driven by the need to make as much money as they can as quickly as they can,they will always talk the event up regardless of wether people can catch fish or not.Evans Head has gone from one of the best inshore snapper fisheries in the state to one that is below average the classic may or may not be to blame but it certainly doesn't help,as muzz has said you just can't keep puting that many boats onto a patch of broken reef six or seven miles long during spawning season and expect fish stocks to hold up.Personaly I haven't fished the Evans close reefs for nearly twelve months I would much rather go to Ballina the fish are far more plentifull,though as tony has said there are a few snapper starting to come in so I might head down that way in the next month before the slaughter starts again.

Archer
17-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Pretty sure i saw an ad for the Evans Annual fish slaughter the other day....You would think in a time of digital cameras and brag mats that all comps would be C & R. I mean really is it that hard to take a pic of the fish and submit that rather than killing every swimming fish in the whole area for 7 days straight!
I for one hope the weathers shit house and no one gets to fish....Cause than they will all be in there slaughtering the bream breeding in the river. :-/