PDA

View Full Version : No Fish in Iraq-Well No Fishing

fishenmick
15-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Hello to everyone. #I am a newbie on the site and coming to you from Iraq. #I am with the Australian Army in Iraq and have been here for the last 6 months. #This great site has been my interest since finding it a short time ago. #It is a fantastic site and has some great characters, everything that makes Australia the fantastic place it is. #I bought a 4.5m Bluefin Predator Side Console with a 50 Mariner about 4 months before I came over here and do I miss it. #It sits in the garage at home whilst the car sits in the driveway. #This site provides so much fishing education and when you toss in humour, politics, mishaps and aussie larrakinism, it is just perfect. #I look forward to getting home (in about 4 weeks) and getting out onto Moreton Bay (with the missus as she loves fishin) and cathing some fish. #Armed with the info off this site, I am half way there, maybe. #The only fish I see over here is what they serve up every b...... second day at the Iraqi Barracks, Carp. #Took a while to get used to. #I am really looking forward to a fresh fillet from the boat onto the Barbie and washed down with a nice cold beer, fantastic. #What a great site, keep it up and I look forward to contributing something whorthwhile every now and then. # (Photo of fish lunch attached)

Regards, #Mick

charleville
15-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Good onyer Mick! #Welcome aboard! #:) :) :)

I reckon that we will all be delighted to read of your first fishing experience out on the Bay in that Bluefin when you get home. #:)

The Bream season will be upon us then and waiting for you. #:) :) :)

aussiefool
15-05-2006, 03:24 AM
G'day m8,
Welcome aboard,If ya worried about you boat not getting enouth use while your away, send me you add and I take it for a run or to for ya. In the mean time till you get home stay safe.
Aussiefool
Andrew
ex navy

MulletMan
15-05-2006, 03:31 AM
Are they maggots behind that crap looking fish? :-/ :-/

major-defect
15-05-2006, 05:15 AM
A suss looking feed mate.Stay safe bloke.

agnes_jack
15-05-2006, 06:35 AM
G'day Mick
Welcome mate!!
Bloody Carp!! Your kidding!! Surely you guys deseve to be looked after better than that. They could at least take the heads off.
Hope you get stuck into some decent fish when ya get back, Im sure some of the blokes from the Moreton bay area will give ya some hot tips to help you out on your return. Best of luck... and as the others have said..Stay safe buddy!

Regards, Tony..........................Bloody carp!!! Whats the go Johnny?????

revs57
15-05-2006, 07:17 AM
G'day Mick,

And welcome to ausfish. #I work in a community centre in Logan and we have many Iraqi refugees as guests. #We have heard their stories of horror suffered under the Saddam Regime and we only have the greatest admiration for you and other Aussie guys and gals who are seeking to help establish peace over there. #It is a great thing you are doing, we are proud of you...even if the food is a little, well...my mate was a baitlayer so I can't say too much ;) ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to seeing you safely home #and fishin' Moreton Bay mate. Happy to shout you a trip to the banks sometime. #PM details when ready...

Keep ya head down and stay safe

Cheers

Rhys

DICER
15-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Mick, welcome to the site! Lets hope in four weeks time you can kick that carp habit. :P Have a fish for me when your back. Have a safe trip home.
Adam

Richard
15-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Is this how they get the carp ?

http://m90.org/index.php?id=15489

Hmmm.. i wonder what B&FP here would have to say about this fishing apparatus ? ;)

Looks like they get eel tailed catfish over in that region as well.. :)

Richard

Darryl
15-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Im afraid i would nearly have to starve to death before i would eat that Mick. :-/ Bloody Jackboot Johnny has a lot too answer for.

Stay safe mate.

Darryl.

TonyM
15-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi Mick,

Geez - If you can survive that food I reckon you could survive anything eh? ;D

hmmmm I wonder if there's some way we can all donate a weekends catch and send you guys over an emergency shipment of real fish!

Stay safe and hope you're out enjoying the Bluefin soon mate!

MrWong
15-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Hey Buddy!
6months is a long time.... Trust me I have been there too! Are there still huge carp flapping about on the bitumen on the road where you cross the river on your way from PPN to the city??? There use to be huge ones not sure why but they were funny to see.
Mate I live North side brissy have a 5.3m polycraft and fish a heap, the Mrs loves it as well (the fishing that is lol).
I am at Enoggera drop me a PM if theres anything I can to help ya their in the sandpit. Catch up out at hutchies or Tangalooma for a coffee when ya get home.
Cheers
Norm

karana
15-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I have fished in Iraq years ago. Didn't catch many but I was sure popular with the locals when I did catch one.

maztez
15-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Gidday Mick and as everyone has said welcome to AUSFISH , The best fish site in the cyber world ,Im sure all members feel proud of you guys over there (bit different from another prior conflict ) and wish you all the best and a safe and swift return to your family and home and fishing .
cheers Terry

el_carpo
15-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Hello Fishenmick,

This link should lead to a site that shows one soldier's experience of fishing while in Iraq. It includes some pics of the fish he and his pals caught. Some of those things are huge! :o

http://www.nmffg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=368

Get home safe and sound and catch some fish.

EC

Louis
15-05-2006, 08:59 AM
G'day Mick and welcome to the wonderful world of Ausfish.

How did the carp taste?

I have never tasted carp myself although I have caught them in the past.

I have always been curious about the taste.

Most people I know who have tried them aren't too keen on them although my father being European and having eaten the European variety says that they are nice.

I believe that their European Carp are actually European Carp rather than the cross bred variety we have.

I suppose their environment and food source would also play a large role in their taste as well.

Anyway welcome to ausfish and we look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Louis

fishn-ads
15-05-2006, 02:11 PM
G'day Mick,

Just like to say welcome aboard, and i'll also be keen to catch up for a fish and a beer with you and any of your mates when you all get back, i'm sure we'll be able to find boat space for all of you if need be?

Had the most delicious fresh parrot fillets and carlton draught for tea last night ;D ;D ;D

Say G'day to your mob, and from me & my family "Thankyou lads".

Ads

roz
15-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi Mick,

Welcome aboard Ausfish! 8-)

Last night I had Hussar with sweet 'n sour and for desert home made sticky toffee pudding with icecream yummmo!........ just thought I should mention that ;)

Will be interesting to hear how things are going over there, we also appreciate what you guys are doing.

So take care & hope to one day see you out on the water.

Cheers Roz.

bidkev
15-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Glad the site's been some comfort to you whilst you were/are over there Mick. Stay safe mate and I hope the next few weeks fly by for you.

kev

ex Infantry, ex Royal Marine, currently whingeing Pomm :D

choppa
15-05-2006, 08:00 PM
hi mick and all that other stuff,,,, as a favor,, when your commin home,, can you bring back with ya a few of the lead weights they sometimes use when fishn over there?????

you know,, there shaped like a little pineapple,,, and have a pin attached to them for quick release,,,

i've seen a couple of videos when these are used,,, and christ they enhance the catch of the fish 100 fold ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stay safe mate,,, and as the crew have stated,,, we'll catch up when you return

fishenmick
16-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Are they maggots behind that crap looking fish? #:-/ :-/
There were no maggots behind that one, but I look for movement in that rice each and every time :-X

Mick

fishenmick
16-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted. I apologise for not replying earlier but we are six hours behind here, so 6pm here, midnight there.

Revs57-Thanks for the encouraging words, the banks trip sounds great, any fishing trip sounds great. Nice looking boat too.

Mr Wong - I am down south end of Iraq so have not seen the Carp you speak of. Wouyldn't mind catching up for that coffee on my return. Thanks for the offer.

Louis - The Carp tastes okay. The look puts you off a bit and the way and area that they prepare it, but if you can get past all that, it was just okay.

Fishn_ads - Thanks for the reminder on the parrot fillets and beer. Wont be long and I will be doing the same. Cheers!

Roz - Good on Ya!

Choppa - I will send ya some of those weights you are after, I heard they work real well.

To everyone else, thanks and tight lines, Mick :) :)

fastmantis
16-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Gday Mick,
welcome to the forum mate. can't believe thats the quality of the food guess its better than going hungry though. Good luck over there mate stay safe so u can get back and have some real fish.

Mantis

jim_farrell
16-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Send those sinkers through the mail. ;D ;D It would be interesting to see if they actually made it to you choppa. The scary thing is they probably would
Welcome Mick. Keep your head down mate. We all think you guys over there are tops. ;)

snasman
17-05-2006, 01:24 PM
G,day Mick, rations packs dont look so bad after seeing that excuse of a fish ,im in the north side of Brisbane and fish mainly the pine river but get out when the weather is good to redcliffe and beyond .As its been said keep ya head down and stay safe.Snas x infantry 8/9

Jim_Tait
19-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Looking at the Iraqi fish in the link provided by el-carpo it would seem they are not all just standard carp but include some Marsheer - a predatory carp (check out the gob on them) that will take lures and are reputed to be one of the great freshwater figting fish of the world - looks like they would give you a run for your money - but I don't know about relaxing and enjoying the bliss of the surrounding landscape while fishing - if only we could always 'stick to fishing instead of fighting' - hey?

gropeher
19-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey mate,
just remember you are doing us all proud, keeping us free of terrorists etc.

We dont need the likes of those bastards here or anywhere for that matter.
Keep up the good work. and you are doing your nation proud!

Ryan..(ex Air Force).

fishenmick
20-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks Ryan,

Nice to know you have the backing of the public.

Tight Lines Mate,

Mick

Owen
20-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Bloody Jackboot Johnny has a lot too answer for.

Haven't heard that description for years ;D
How many did you have to hand in Darryl?

Mick,
Welcome to Ausfish and stay safe bloke!
Look forward to a flurry of fishin' pics when you get back. But we'll understand if it's not in the first week or so ;)

cheers,
Owen

mcsalty
21-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi, Mick. Welcome to the site. I'm new here too. Its a great site isn't it. Have you seen the "joke of the day" (in the general chat area) posts yet? (Oh, by the way, you don't have to jump up and stand at attention when someone mentions "General Chat" on this site) :-* :-* Good luck and sincere best wishes to you, your mates and all of your families.

Bruce Mc.