PDA

View Full Version : Does clothing colour affect your catch?

Ozwald
15-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Having just bought a Colombia fishing shirt in a nice bright rusty red colour for next to nothing at a market here in Sri Lanka it got me wondering - does the colour of the clothing you wear affect the catch? Which brings up the next question can fish detect colour? Or is it just shadow and shade that most fish see? I seem to remember reading that marlin are able to detect colours which being an apex predator I can understand, so what about fish lower down the food chain?
Any thoughts?
regards
Oz

manchild
15-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Well hard question .I got no scientific evidence to back at up but my experience tells me the colour of your clothes does effect your catch .As im a keen surf fisherman ,sandstone colours works well for me otherwise stand well back from the water ,and unless you cant help it dont wade in the gutter you fishing unless you fishin the outer edges.
thats my two bobs worth
cheers
George

choppa
15-05-2006, 07:15 PM
oz,,,,you damn right it does,,,, i can recall a trip out of sydney once with a boat load of fisho's,, and 2 boats behind,,, we all got to the favorite drifting ground when low and behold,,, a cruiser comes alongside and starts to drift in amongst us,,,

now we were wearing all kinds of colorful stuff,, shirts,, hats,, beanies etc etc,,

but the 2 young girls sunbaking on the front of the cruiser weren't wearing ANYTHING,,

the 2 anglers out the back of the cruiser were having a field day,,

our team weren't doing anywhere near as good ;D ;D ;D

GARFISH
15-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Choppa that would of still been a good Trip I spose there was some of this :o and then a lot of this ;D ;D ;D

But back to the post, i believe that colour matters especially when wading or fishing from the bank. I have always worn a sky blue shirt as I do most of my time wading the flats and also because my workshirts supplied were skyblue. But i have experienced fishing from the bank onto a school of fish and when one of my friends comes up onto me they scatter. He wears his HI-Vis clothing.

It could just be the vibrations from him walking on the dry sand but who knows????

shaman
15-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I've always found when cast-netting for livies in the shallows that if I wear more neutral colour clothing they don't seem to spook that quick.

Ozwald
16-05-2006, 01:46 PM
G'day Choppa
next time out I'll try and persuade the missus to try some nude sunbaking and see if it improves my catch rate....................
I think its back to the market to see if I can find some more sober colours........
Oz

kirin
16-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I know one of the reps for Columbia and he tells me that colours don not matter, however there neutral ones sell best. I put this down to the male's fear of making any fashion staement.

bidkev
16-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Went ouit last week in the Pine and I kept telling the deckie to get down off the bow to no avail. She was sun baking, rod in hand (not mine) ;) ;D in a bright orange bikini and we were only in 5ft of water. She got plenty of bream, 2 cod, and numerous vermin.........She stayed off the bow yesterday and we caught next to bugger all....go figure ::)

kev

No happy time is really gone, if it leaves a special memory.

karana
16-05-2006, 06:12 PM
In salmon and trout fishing small streams certainly but for wading the flats I think shadow is more importantt then colours but I will the colour thing as a reason for future failures when they occur lol.

wayneoro
16-05-2006, 06:50 PM
yep and so does odd days or even days you fish on weather you approached the ramp from the left or the right be careful pitt holes everywere

Feral
16-05-2006, 07:13 PM
You blokes need a rod that can cast further......

Gorilla_in_Manila
16-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Definitely catch more fish when I wear my black undies instead of the blue ones.
Went commando once, ...... all I caught was a cold!
::) ::) ::)

gogecko
17-05-2006, 01:55 PM
About 90% of animals (including fish) cannot see color, they see the world in black and white. I once researched this subject, and found that a nobel prize winner proved that color is a learned response, meaning that it takes a reasonably developed brain to see color. OK, so that rules out a few of us....

There are lots of exceptions to this, and some species of fish can see color, although Im not sure which species they are. Many fish tend to see patterns, such as spots or stripes to identify dangerous or poisonous species (sharks wont eat you if you wear a wetsuit with horizontal stripes), and many animals only see movement, but cant see you when you stand still (snakes). My Labrador is trained to catch spiders, but he cant see them standing still 6 inches in front of his face, until they move! Then he gulps them and gets a reward.

There is a lot of evidence that fish actually see in the ultra violet spectrum, as do many birds (pidgeons navigate by magnetic grid lines seen under UV). Go figure.

Hope you enjoyed my useless trivia.

Andrew

choppa
17-05-2006, 07:47 PM
in a bright orange bikini She got plenty of bream, 2 cod, and numerous vermin.........

kev,,, does this mean if we are ever invited to go out in your boat,, the only sure way of gettin a feed is if,,,,,,,,,,,

nah it cant be ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ozwald
18-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Andrew
Interesting about the horizontal stripes - pity my surf board has vertical stripes!
Oz

bidkev
18-05-2006, 07:17 PM
in a bright orange bikini She got plenty of bream, 2 cod, and numerous vermin.........

kev,,, does this mean if we are ever invited to go out in your boat,, the only sure way of gettin a feed is if,,,,,,,,,,,

nah it cant be ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah choppa....................I reckon you'd look good in a bright orange bikini..........just make sure you shave yer panty line :o ;D ;D

kev

Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.

Huggy_B
18-05-2006, 10:34 PM
when trout fishing, colour is definitely a factor IMO. Nothing but greens and browns, try and blend into the background as much as possible. But for surf or boat fishing, I dont think its as much of an issue what colour your wear.

mcsalty
19-05-2006, 09:51 AM
i think fish can definately differentiate between colours ( :o grayscale...sorry.. :-?), but not the same as we can. If everything they saw was the same colour and shade then they would not be able to see at all. This is getting a bit confusing so just wack a jumper on.

bushbeachboy
19-05-2006, 06:27 PM
No, but invariably when I am wearing a white shirt the baby pukes on it.

hussy
20-05-2006, 07:29 PM
i dont know about animals being colour blind ,kick a cattle dog up the arse and i,ll bet you he will see red , mine does.hussy

mcsalty
21-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Hey Hussey, have you tried explaining to the dog that when you kick him , i'ts a sign of affection or that i'ts for his own good and that he will understand when he gets older. Might stop him gettin cranky at ya. Good luck. ;)

sunny
21-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't think it makes much difference if fish see colour or not. The important thing would be the contrast you make with the background. Neutral colours would blend well with sand and green bush.

If I remember I'll take the camera with the next time I go, set it to black and white and try a few piccies with different colour shirt against some backgrounds. Should be interesting to see.

mcsalty
22-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Sunny . That sounds interesting. I'd be keen to see the photos too.

Bruce McD.