PDA

View Full Version : Up-coming level 3 water restrictions.

bonka
21-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know what's going to happen about engine flushing if/when this comes in on the Gold Coast?

Brent

fastmantis
21-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I thought water restrictions were gone now on the Gold Coast :-? :-?

gif
22-05-2006, 11:42 PM
me too

Level 3 means not much more than the current L2 The “extra” is no outdoor hosing.

Washing of Boats and cars must be by bucket - filled directly from a tap - not a hose.

As for flushing motors - Boat Club arranged and exemption last time – if the hose was being held by hand.

I have sent them a reminder that stage 3 is coming and they need to start negotiating soon. I think they were on to it anyway.

Gary

gif
23-05-2006, 06:42 PM
I heard from Boat Club that there wil be a positve announcement soon. I will leave it to them but let me say there is no need to worry.

Gary

Feral
23-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Just get a 20l drum, with a tap on the bottom, attach hose, fill up by hand from tap, put on back of boat, turn on tap, use hose to flush as per normal through you muffs or whatever. You might need toget it a bit higher than the back of the boat if the flow rate is to low, but it should be ok.

Otherwise 80l garbage bin filled direct from tap, skull dragged to boat and run motor in 80l garbage can. Then empty onto lawn (or gutter if your old 2 stroke is a polluter) 80l wasted, but you following the rules - that'll teach em to come up with stupid rules.

Like where I am, you cant fill a kids wading pool of less than 1500l capacity, so I got a 2000l one. Which I am allowed to fill to use for the kids to have a swim, then empty. An extra 500l on the lawn because of stupid rules.

hussy
23-05-2006, 08:14 PM
i will ring caboolture shire council tomorrow, and will post result. thankyou. hussy

hussy
23-05-2006, 08:15 PM
i will ring caboolture shire council tomorrow, and will post result. thankyou. hussy

Cheech
23-05-2006, 08:34 PM
The thing I am most concerned about is the trailer. I can soon fill up a dozen 90 cent buckets and then rince of the boat (probably using more water than if I was allowed to hose), but cannot do the same with the trailer properly as I need to at least preasure hose around the disks and springs area, which I need to do from the opposite side of the trailer.

I hope they do allow flushing, otherwise there will be a bit of illegal flushing going on.

strongy
23-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Cheech , I draged my boat and trailer through car lovers car wash good high pressure not to expensive if your careful and when i get home i use a 60ltr drum of water for the outboard , used to use about 20ltrs with hose and ears but "rules is rules". cheers strongy

finding_time
23-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Bump

charleville
24-05-2006, 08:46 AM
The thing I am most concerned about is the trailer. I can soon fill up a dozen 90 cent buckets and then rince of the boat (probably using more water than if I was allowed to hose), but cannot do the same with the trailer properly as I need to at least preasure hose around the disks and springs area, which I need to do from the opposite side of the trailer.

I hope they do allow flushing, otherwise there will be a bit of illegal flushing going on.

It would be great to see a similar Level 3 rule to that in Sydney...

The following are still permitted at any time: # # # Using a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean boat bilges and boat trailer brakes and wheels.
Using a hose to flush boat engines.

(refer http://www.sydneywater.com.au/SavingWater/WaterRestrictions/ )

gif
25-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Michael from Boat Club did a heap of work contacting the 13 Councils.

Boat Club Newsletter will soon announce:

SEQ Water and the 13 Regional councils listed below confirm new level 3 water restrictions will commence on June 13th.

The following procedures for washing down boats and flushing outboards are acceptable under level 3 restrictions;

1. To clean the boat and motor, wash with sponge from bucket of water. (Bucket can only be filled from a tap and not a hose)
2. To flush outboard motors connect the hose directly to the motor or via "ear muffs" and flush internal components for the manufacturers prescribed time (usually 2-3 minutes). The hose must be hand held at all times.

More probably on 4BC Talking Fishing closer to the 13th June.

I checked the manufactures guide book for Honda and Evinrude and Johnson 5 minutes is more the recommended time

I also did some experiments using a baby inflatable pool to catch the water - the flush bags you can now buy use less than half the water that muffs do.

I expect that the flush bags do a better job too - the whole leg is immersed. The blue ones are made in Qld by a local company and have a fitting to connect directly to the garden hose for easy use.

No I am not on commission but I think they deserve a plug.

Gary

gif
25-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Another hint

I take a 20 litre plastic drum of water in the car. The tap fitting screws out and you can buy a fitting that screws into the same thread and adapts to a garden hose fitting.

- A short length of hose
- a set of muffs
- put the drum on the transom and loosen the cap

And I give the motor a quick flush as soon as it is on the trailer and parked.

Probably does more good that a full 6 minute flush an hour later when I get home.

Gary

timddo
25-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Better, still, install a deck wash on your boat, the pump will suck up to 3meters, so attach a hose to the connection on the boat to a 40 litre bucket and you have a pressure hose. simple, easy and cheap. $150 if you install it yourself and $400 if professionally installed. max water usage is only 19 litres per minute. So you even save water.

gif
26-05-2006, 09:22 AM
deck wash?

Good idea. Probably not goid enough reason for me personally to invest in one - but if you have one anyway its a fantastiic application

FishOn
26-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Are we allowed to use pressure sprayers or are they no allowed under Level 3?

Kind regards Trevor