PDA

View Full Version : Re Asian fishing effect

shayned
25-05-2006, 08:47 AM
To all the people who read and contributed to this provocative thread how many actually did something about your concerns eg email your local member, vollunteer as an inspector with DPI, join the fishing party or secretly attach mines to the bottom of an illegal crabbers boat.

Secondly, is there someone on here who used to be a graphic artist in a previous life who could turn kuhlia_r's idea of a multi linguil fishing reg. t-shirt into reality. Maybe a simple message of "Do not keep undersize fish $5000.00 fine"???I know another bloody new Australian who could produce the shirts for a fair price. I'd happily wear one as my fishing shirt if it helps get the message across. Maybe it could be added to the range of merchandise on this site and sold in tackle stores.

Give me your feedback, I'm ready and waiting.

Maria
25-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Last year after being thoroughly disigusted by what I had witnessed on several ocassions at the Sand Pumping Jetty, I wrote an email to Today Tonight. They called me back within 2 days and said they wanted to do a story on it. We (Today Tonight film crew and myself) ended up filming undercover there one afternoon/evening and got some good material. For whatever reasons, I never heard anything more about the story. It was supposed to be produced and aired, but never was. Go figure.

Darryl
25-05-2006, 09:16 AM
I filled out the forms and submitted them to DPI to become a volunteer as i stated in the Thread.

Darryl.

shayned
25-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Personally I composed an email and fired it off to my local member this was the first time in my life I'd ever done something like that. Not much I know but its a start for me. Funnily enough I'm still waiting for a reply. Guess I'll have to do it again. Maybe I should target a certain minister instead. Any advice?

karana
25-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Perhaps you might fire off some correspondence to Mike Horan the opposition spokesman.

Jolly
25-05-2006, 10:10 AM
i have also recently joined the fishcare volunteer program because of the exact concerns brought up in that thread...

wayneoro
25-05-2006, 10:32 AM
good thoughts guys maybe we need a group formed to help with this problem . ive had info from a waterside worker that asians have been bring their boats in where the ships unload to unload there prawns to a waiting truck right in brisbane . theres no way the fisheries with their small no,s can scratch the top of this problem .

MulletMan
25-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I just put up the thread in the first place - I'm dun!! :-X

rainbowrascal
25-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Great idea about the shirts, I am sure most Ausfishers will dig into their pockets for one to get the message across.

:P :P

shayned
25-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Any graphic artists here at all?

gone_phishin
25-05-2006, 05:40 PM
shayned,

I'm a screen printer but you'll have to give me time to work through the thread and see what the go is. Sounds inrteresting :-?

Geoff

gogecko
26-05-2006, 02:46 PM
So now I can say "Cut up, Maria" ;D

Looks like you werent newsworthy. Never mind,
show me some of that spanish mackeral ;)

confused? Maria knows what it means. Sorry, mate, couldnt help myself after I read the handles thread.

chers
Andrew

seatime
26-05-2006, 06:20 PM
shayned

personally, i found that emails to the incumbent gov't rarely get answered. whereas the opposition blokes are more than happy to help.

i recently tried the email approach, with little success. while i was considering my options the new opposition candidate 4 my electorate knocked on the front door, literally. after a letter from him i got some progress, i ended up getting replies from 3 month old emails, and even an apology.