PDA

View Full Version : So - where have the spotties been this season?

SteveCan
27-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey guys - long time since I have been around here. I have ben too busy running about with triathlon and such to seriously fish.

However the last couple of months I have been makng time to get out to Palm Beach reef every fortnight or so - probably made about six or eight trips this year. Zero spotties this year where the last two they have been abundant. (have been doing ok this year with the catch - but no spots - only schoolies)

So - when ring netting was banned three (?) years ago we had some great spotty seasons - what's happened top them this year - is it just that I am not looking in the right places or are they really scarce this year?

Opinions please!

Cheers
Steve.

Spaniard_King
28-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Steve,

It's been a funny year to say the least ::) Just hope it turns around for next year so I don't have to chase spaniards :-[

Have a read of this http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1144615417/all-0

Garry

DeeGee
28-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Steve,
# # # # # There have been a few at different times & places along the G.C. but they have been very patchy, and apparently Moreton bay has been even more so.
There was a good run of them for about 3 - 4 weeks in quite shallow water off Sth Straddie, in late April/earlyMay. #
But as soon as the word got around, and boats started to turn up there in numbers, they were gone again. #
Did they just move north on their normal migration, or did the pressure force them away ?? Who knows - I don't.

Cheers Deegee.

Slider
28-05-2006, 05:44 PM
SteveCan

The spotties were good in Laguna Bay and up to Double Island Point this year from Dec - April and then it died off. Last year they hardly showed up at all and not many in 2004. 2003 was a really good season near the Noosa River mouth, I think as a result of good rainfall. They seem to show up somewhere for a season and another location the following. I can only assume it depends on where the baitfish are and also where good rains lift stream levels and attract baitfish towards the mouths.
I have noticed an improvement in spotty and spanish mackerel numbers in this area in the last 5 years or so which I can only attribute to improved management of stocks.

Slider

The_Tub
28-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Stevecan

Ilive northcoast nsw it has been patchy for spotties this season up until last wednesday,where there was a good run of fish up to 8kg,went again saturday they were still there but not as thick maybe the strong southerly or there just moving on,there was alot more boat traffic on saturday than during the week.hopefully next season will be better.