PDA

View Full Version : V SHEETS

gawby
20-05-2006, 08:51 PM
It makes you wounder why v sheets are carried by marine vessels if it is not known what they are for.
We came back through the Southport Seaway today and we doing a run around Wave Break island
and we noticed in the distance after we had passed a house boat that there appeared to be a V SHEET flying beside it.
We turned around and went back to investigate as any resposible boat person should do and discovered that the house boat was in trouble and seemed to be taking on water.
We contacted Seaway Tower and informed them of what we could see and i dropped off brett and darryl to go and see if they could help.
All ended up good, poor old 60 year old fella and his distraught wife were swamped by waves caused by the passing large vessels that were causing enormous wake waves of which we copped ourselves.
Coast Guard to the rescue with two vesels to help the stricken house boat, full credit to you Coast Guard personel. Assisted by Brett and Darryl in the water. I looked after the Gawby II so it didnt get swamped.
V SHEETS, TO ALL THOSE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN ON THE WATER CLOSE TO THIS MISHAP TODAY MEANS THE VESSEL IS IN TROUBLE. I DIRECT THIS TO THE MANY BOATS THAT WERE CLOSE TODAY AND DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO SEE IF THEY COULD HELP.
I just hope that if i am in touble one day i don't get ignored like this poor chappy today.
Graeme

Darryl
20-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah well said Gawb, i think it's way too easy for people to get there boat licence. I #think there should be at least a day or 2 of theory in regards to safety gear and there uses as well as a compulsary radio course. And a far more in depth course for the practical side of your boat licence.

Darryl.

Ps, alls good bar that black prop of yours is now shiny, and you have finally christened your skeg paint as well. ;D

gawby
20-05-2006, 09:11 PM
>:( darryl

fishenmick
21-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Well said Graeme,

It is not just V Sheets either. It is obeying navigation lights, right of way and just plain courtesy and common sense that most of them lack.

Mick

fastmantis
21-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Well done gawby and boys not enough of that aussie spirit around anymore so refreshing to hear about.

Mantis

skippa
21-05-2006, 05:39 AM
Good work with the rescue Graeme and Co.

Hate to think what could of happened, especially considering where he was, if you guys hadn't help the old bloke out.

I knew there was another reason why I go fishin with you guys ..... #::) ;)

In light of the lack on response to his V Sheet maybe I need to change mine to ...

If you can read this I need help ... #:-[

Cheers,
Tony # #8-)

Brejen
21-05-2006, 09:04 AM
What an end to a day's fishing hey. Just glad it turned out the way it did.

To make matter worse (if it could of been that is ) the older fellow couldnt talk and in turn could not scream out to anyone to help him either. he was trying to do it all as his poor wife couldnt do anything but watch.

Good on the Seaway tower and Coast Guard S'prt who i have to say where there in a very quick time and straight onto the job of helping out [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] .

Brett

Figjamm
21-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Well done fellas 8-)

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Dirtysanchez
23-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Amazing story, good on you blokes for lending a hand in dangerous conditions, that is top stuff !

That whole area sounds like a sh!t fight nowdays, many posts about the problems with jet skiers, and large cruisers, which is a shame, you used to be able to pull a good feed of whiting from wave break area, but I don't think I would go near it in my 4.2mt tinny !! :o

Burley_Boy
23-05-2006, 06:56 PM
I think the best way would be for people in an area such as the Gold Coast should be subjected to a refresher course every 3years or so to have the priviledge to have a registered boat in the area. That would address most of the issues. Taking a licence in a lake out the back of bourke 20years ago and not boating for the last 10 or so years would make the licence holder as good as .... :P

At least each time you transfer registration of a boat to your name you should have a compulsory refresher. Preferably on the boat you're planning to use.
Simple to administer, charge for the priviledge (preferably with VMR or Coastguard as examiners) and you would need less rescues saving money for the organisations as well.

finding_time
23-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Bump

subzero
23-05-2006, 11:08 PM
ditto

maztez
25-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Good one boys must have been trained well hey ;D ;D
cheers Terry

Darryl
25-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Yeah Dad. ;) ;D :-?

Big_Ren
25-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Thumbs up guys [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Hope the old fella and his wife got on okay after that. We had some dramas ourselves 2 years ago when we took a houseboat to the Pin for a week. We were cruising up the Boradwater out of the Coomera, minding our own business when a 30-32ft flybridge cruiser roared past us not less than 10 metres from us. My guess was this w#nker was doing 30 knots+.

We a had one small child on board and it scared the crap out of him not to mention my better half and of course quite a bit of crockery was smashed after it jolted from the cupboards.

Do these clowns know how much wash they produce? Lucky I didn't have my shanghai on board >:(

Cheers
Paul

bidkev
25-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Good on yer fellers and thanks for the post. Now I know what a V sheet is for ;) ;D

kev

Success in marriage is more than finding the right person. It's becoming the right person.

Louis
30-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Some years ago I broke down roughly between Green Island and King Island. I flew the V-Sheet thinking that one of the passing boats would soon see it and come to my assistance.

Nope they all just kept on going.

I don't think it was callous disregard but rather ignorance of what the V-Sheet meant.

It was no big deal I suppose as I called up the Coast Guard and got a tow in but it made me realise how few people realise what the V-Sheet is all about.

I think it is probably time for the powers to be to do an education campaign in one form or another in relation to the importance of the V-Sheet and what it stands for.

Louis

mako_5.2
31-05-2006, 03:03 AM
I thought it was to match the vee berth. Never did like the colour

cabfisher
31-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi All well how about some of you guys that almost get swamped by these Lame brain so call skippers in the big floting wave making thingoes
Get there Rego Numbers and report them to the Water Police and see that they are drag over the rocks as the B Well desirve .
As there is no excuse for disregard of the rules .
And get rid of these B Idots
Cheers Harry