PDA

View Full Version : Proposed dam to boost Brisbane's water supply

black_sheep
30-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Has anyone heard about Beattie's proposal on constructing a dam on the Mary River at Traveston (just sth of Gympie). Beattie is apparently is full swing trying to convince the powers to be that this is the solution to Brisbane water crisis. The proposal is for the dam to be constructed near the Traveston bridge for an area spanning 50kms long!

Personally, I know a stack of work that’s gone into the regeneration of native trees and plants by local land owners and land care groups. These efforts have been years in the making and a big push for this was due to the plight of the Mary River Cod (endangered species) and the Mary River Turtle that only a decade ago was in real demise. Through local stocking groups, DPI and other organisations, the numbers of Mary River Cod are finally increasing.

Unfortunately, I have never heard of or seen a friendly dam that hasn’t had a major impact on the environment and more importantly (for us fisho’s), the migration of native species. In the same breath, I do realise that the water problem is reaching a crisis and something has to be done.

If anyone has further comments or info to provide, it would be appreciated as well as just general comments about the proposal.

Cheers,
Navi

Big_unit
30-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Take a look at this link -

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1148692252

black_sheep
30-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks Big Unit - musted have missed that post.

I see a lot of people pushing for more dams. I'm hoping that it's not the solution and that other means of increasing water capacity is optional.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer but surely there are other options??

Just my opinion.

barfly
30-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I FOR ONE DONT THINK THIS WILL GO AHEAD THE FEDERAL GOVT JUST GAVE FUNDING FOR A HIWAY UPGRADE IN THIS AREA BUT IF THE DAM GOES AHEAD THE BRUCE HIWAY WILL GO UNDER WATER. PLUS SOIL TESTING ONLY FOUND SAND NO ROCK TO TIE IN A SPILLWAY WALL. AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO PUMP THE WATER BACK TO WHERE IT IS NEEDED . THIS WILL HAVE TO GO OVER TWO MOUTAIN RANGES .NO THOUGHT HAS GONE INTO THE GEOGRAPHY ON THE NORTHERN DAM . AND THEN WHO IS GOING TO DO THE RAIN DANCE ..CHEERS BARFLY

black_sheep
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Barfly, Thanks for the reply, you obviously know a bit about the proposal?

I was unaware of a h’way upgrade proposal but there appears to be some evidence pointing at why it may not go ahead. I also would have thought that the lack of depth may be a problem. Most of that area is flood plains and although it may be a large catchment area, it will be shallow which may make it susceptible to weed infestation etc.

Personally, I hope your prediction is true.

Cheers
Navi