PDA

View Full Version : whitsunday advice?

wayne_cook
01-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Looking forward to a holiday in the area around aug-sep 06 for 2-3 weeks. :)Just me & better half.
I have never been boating in the area before but did pass through there about 30 years ago.Looked great.
Is this time of year adviseable?
My plan was to stay on the mainland somewhere and do day fishing and site seeing trips.
Is car and trailer safety a concern.

I'm seeking adice where to stay and some must do's and places i shouldn't miss seeing.

I'd rather have something self contained more than doing the camping thing.

Looking forward to any input

Thanks bear

NEWBY
01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
G'day Bear,
I sailed through there 2 months ago on a 35 Bertram. Started at Hook, then on to Hammilton and out. 2 days was all I got but I am definately going to do a 2-3 week trip there in the near future. The best advice I can give you is to search like hell on line with google and buy the book "100 Magic Miles" Ya can get it on line.
AND
This is the best time of year in the Sundays. May through to september they reckon.
Mate, get surfing and get the book and have a great trip in one of the most pristine areas in the world.

NEWBY

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, Bear, #my info may be a little dated, but.

I suggest #Whitsunday Wanderers. Self contained cabins, pool, restuarant etc etc. # It 's in the centre of Airlie Beach, walking distance to everything. #They probably have a web site, just google it.

Then, a "3 island cruise" is always good value.

A day trip on a yacht, or cat is good.

Don't know if you will get to be part of the Whitsunday Races, which happens up there at about that time of year. #Miss Figurehead is NOT to be missed !

A day trip fishing on MV Jane is ok, just #!!!!!!!!

Don't know if they still have the Friday Night Feast, departing Shute harbour to Sth Molle and return, includes cruise, dinner and show. ???

AT Cannonvale, just before Airlie Beach, there is good infrastructure regarding supplies etc.

I would google " whitsunday's #or Airlie beach ",, find an information centre and have them post you heaps of brochures.

I used to visit that place, very, regulary when I lived in Townsville. #

Just remembered, maybe a #nights stay on Hook Island could be the go as well.

For a close in fishing trip, head out to Tancred or Shute Islands and chuck poppas over the coral bombies. ;)

And what NEWBY says, that book is " a must ".

Cheers #Phill

wayne_cook
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
good start thanks newby & phill

boatboy50
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey Bear,

Good timing, as i'm going through the research of doing the exact same trip at the same time!

Yes, Late August/Late September is the best time to visit the area. I will be setting off from Brisbane with boat in tow around August 25, returning around September 10, dates are not in concrete yet.

1st off, grab a copy of the magic miles as mentioned, it's gold!

I will be staying a couple of days at the caravan park midway between Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour. It is a very nice council run park, with the facilities you mention in cabins with pool, green grounds ect. The other days I will be staying on board the boat in one of many exotic island locations!

Do you have a boat during your stay? There is great locations to visit all within one hour of Shute Harbour, some within 10 minutes. There is secure parking for car and trailer for a cost at Shute Harbour.

I recommend visiting as many of the ritsy islands as possable, as well as others such as long island (very close and laid back), Hamo, Whitehaven beach, Nara Inlet, hook island, there is soo much to see.

Get the book and then come back with questions.

Regards

Darren

BobbyJ123
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
G'day mate, I live 1.5 hours' drive from Airlie, and only go there once in a blue moon......too touristy for my liking. A good place to stay is Proserpine, about 20 minutes' drive. and only 20 minutes' drive from Peter Faust dam. And a lot safer, too. There is a free carpark at Airlie marina but the car park at Shute Harbour is $8/day. It is the jumping off place for the islands, whereas Airlie Marina is the place for day charters.
Plenty to see and do there.
Another option is Cape Hillsborough Resort, 9 km from my place, and perfectly safe for all. And cheaper :)
www.capehillsboroughresort.com.au

A mudmap of Cape Hillsborough area
http://www.fishingline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay/Fishing/Seaforth.htm

I_hate__work
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Bear
I agree with Bobby cape Hillsborough is a beautiful area. If you are taking your boat it is a good spot to launch from, although it is a bit far from airlie. If you take your boat you can go to any of the islands from Shute and airlie and their are some great secluded beachs on some of the islands (good for rekindling the spark with the missus). The time of the year you are looking at is perfect the water should be about 25 degrees. If you are into snorkling you will love it. As for fishing you will be in heaven, If you have a viewer you can see the trout swimming and it is very frustrating watching them play with your bait. I live at Sarina and have been up there a couple of times. Don't forget to spend some time in Mackay and the surrounding area. Up here is the gate way to the reef and is the best place to live. (Very Biased). Shop around for accommodation on line as there are some good deals, check because I think you might be coming into the peak period and things are dearer.

Good luck on your holiday you will love it and want to come back.

Mark