PDA

View Full Version : What will we do if fuel hits $2.00 a litre??

MulletMan
01-05-2006, 11:32 PM
It has been said that once the dollar a litre barrier has fallen, then the fuel price will climb to two bucks a litre by Xmas!
Even now it must be hurting everybody. My 5.8L inboard V8 happily guzzles about 30L/hr when I poke along at the 25 knot mark so two hours is obviously $120.00!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'(

Chuck in the bait, tucker etc. and makes for a very expensive fishing trip.

I guess taking a few mates is one obvious answer but when I was down at Aussie Seafoods at Capalaba you had to kill to get in the door.

Couple of guys made the comment that for say $100.00 they can get a hell of a feed of muddies, prawns and quality reef fish.

Some years back I used to knock up six hours out round Square Patch charging about looking for the fish - guess those days are gone!

Bumma!

land_based
02-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Start rowing/ paddling ;D I downgraded from my commo to a 4 cylinder corolla due to travelling 1000 k's a week.

krazyfisher
02-05-2006, 06:20 AM
if it hits $2 a litre I will just have to pay more. I went out on sat. $122 in fuel but 3 blokes $40 each what can you do for $40 that is so much fun

Spaniard_King
02-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Looks Like my hourly rate has to go up again soon :-/

It's gunna hurt but I will be paying the $$$$

it makes the fuel efficient engine a must thats for sure :-X The big carby 2 strokes would hurt the pocket.

Garry

Barrymundi
02-05-2006, 06:51 AM
These fish cost about 105 litres. 90HP 4 stroke

The look on the wife’s face hauling them up - Priceless

I remember when smokes were under a dollar a packet. People still smoke.

Fishing is an addiction.

I do not fish for economics, easily cheaper to buy fresh fish from the shop.

Al

Grand_Marlin
02-05-2006, 08:23 AM
The fuel is hurting us all.

Due to being mobile, I had to add a fee for travel, just to cover fuel.

My usage (even with a 4cyl diesel) has jumped from $100 a week to $180 a week. I didnt want to do it, but have no choice.

I remember back when I was a kid ... the same thing happened. I remember Dad being worried how he would continue to run the fleet of machines on the contracted rate.

The point I am making is that it has happened before, and will happen again.

Prices go up to compensate for the fuel costs, eventually so does wages ... followed by inflation and interest rates .... then we have a down spiralling effect on business and consumer confidence, which Paul Keating called a recession :(

Everything falls in a heap, but eventually picks itself up again a few years down the track.....

Then up go fuel prices again....

It is tough, but we always seem to manage.

It is also a priorities thing. If fishing is in your blood, you will always find a way to do it ... share costs, smaller boat, less trips, insure the missus then knock her on the head ;D

If fuel reaches $2 a litre, we will survive, but I shudder to think of the consequences that flow through the general economy from that....

Hell now, we practically own Iraq ... surely we have some say in the prices ;D

Cheers

Pete

Grunter71
02-05-2006, 08:24 AM
We are in the process of repowering the cat. We will see a small improvement in fuel consumption.

We will still use the boat, but we will just be a little more careful making sure that when we go out the weather etc are suitable for a good day on the water, and that we bring home a feed. At least then there is some small justification.

Fortunately for me, my wife enjoys a day out as well, so I won't get into trouble for torching too much on fuel as long as we are all enjoying it.

finga64
02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I've changed my style of fishing. I love going out bottom bashing in the Bertram but now she sits in the shed and comes out on special occassions (the seas are real nice and the fish are there waiting). The tinny gets used more now and with the 15hp Honda I can get 2 days fishing down the Pin for 8 litres.
When I got the Honda I winged about the size of the tank. It was only 12 litres. Dopey me learned why. [smiley=stupid.gif]
It's great when the dearest part of going fishing is getting a few fresh prawns to use while your waiting for the tide to get some yabbies.
Sadly, I'm afraid the days of the Bertram going out everyday are over. :'(

fishn-ads
02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
$2 by Xmas gee I hope not I heard $1.50, my ute cost me $80 a week now $140+ thats $60 more a week (2 cartons) [smiley=wut.gif]
But it makes me glad that i'm down grading to a 4.2. I'll happily pay anyone $40-50 or more for a day outside just let me know when you need crew!!!

Ads

Alex9797
02-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Maybe we will need to do the equivalent of car pooling and share the costs around. I know that there are times when my wife and kids don't want to go out on the boat (freaks ;D) and I would be more than happy to take an additional passenger or two.

It would also be a great learning experiance in terms of good locations etc.

cheers

Alex

finding_time
02-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I think the 5.5m boat with the 90hp four stroke is going to be very popular ;) i'm getting to the nth banks return for about 40 liters so with 2 people on board it still pretty economic. I'm still looking at less trips though and maybe the trips i make will be a bit longer targeting more than just one or two species.

Ian

charleville
02-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I chose to go LPG on my latest car early last year and found it to be a great experience - LPG engines run more smoothly than petrol engines and don't stink at the exhaust like a petrol engine does.

...and oh yes, my Falcon costs about $40 to fill when empty and will do about 500km on that. #A slightly noticeable power difference over my previous Fairmont Ghia and some loss of boot space but I swear that I will never go back to petrol again 'cause I love the LPG car. # :)

However, I did shudder last week when I topped up the boat at 133.9c/litre. #Fortunately, it is a 60HP 4 stroke and I still manage to spend more on bait than petrol when I go fishing. :-/

If I did ever go to bigger boat with 200HP. then at $2 per litre it is likely that I would do only one trip a week rather than the three that I do now. #:(

BigE
02-05-2006, 02:45 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 25 F/S yammie ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D all for only 7 liters of fuel :-* :-* good little yammie

BigE
02-05-2006, 02:49 PM
next trip cost 5 liters :o :o :o love my yammie

BigE
02-05-2006, 03:03 PM
kidz like the yammie as well :)

BigE
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
kidz like the yammie as well :)

bidkev
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Last trip to Hutchies, Brennans and a finish up at 4 Beacons cost me 135 bucks last time out in the Whittley:o

The deckie and the kids love fishing and always come with me, so no way can I get crew to share the costs. I used to go alone midweek, but can't justify that cost simply for my pleasure.

I look at it this way, if I took the kids anywhere else for the day and treated 'em to lunch or dinner, or if they all went to the movies, it wouldn't be far short of what we spend on fishing anyway.

I'm gonna pick my trips more carefully though and the tinny is going to get more work than the Whittley.

The knock-on effects of the petrol rise will be inflation, and just when inflation starts to erode your spending power the interest rates will be raised to counter the inflation.........hit you in the pocket to counter the effects of you being hit in the pocket :o...........isn't capitalism wonderful? ::) ;D

kev

Our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look ahead than look back.

karana
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Well I had it alll worked out on the economics side years ago until they brought in the bag limits. Plenty of cafish in the river and I have a couple of good recipes for peppered catfish and cajun catfish.

Seriously though why is the price in Brisbane retail wise the same as Sydney and Melbourne and has been for a few weeks. Thought we didn't have a state tax here?

rando
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Sails
The wind is free ;D ;D

PinHead
02-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I will just buy it..I am going to upset a few people now but I hope that interest rates do rise..10% or more would be a nice figure

karana
02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Pinhead I am with you, let's keep our fingers crossed.

TheSaint
02-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Well i'm not going to walk & owning 4 cylinders all my life i'm not going to really notice the difference..

I'm not smoker or a big drinker so spending that extra cash on Petrol on boat fuel to go fishing will be my little addiction! :)

mitch_05
02-05-2006, 06:10 PM
could just go blind :)

fishingnottake
02-05-2006, 06:23 PM
why do you want them to rise?

StevenM
02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Company Car....where do ya wanna go

Etec......Fuel Bill what fuel Bill

Cheers

Steven

Cloud_9
02-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm the same as PIn head.
I'll just up my hourly rate and pass it on,
i need fuel to work so those of you that need the servises of myself will just have to pay.
its not me being argant its a fact of life.
its a user pay system.
Cheers Cloud 9

PinHead
02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
why do you want them to rise?

I presume interest rates...if you have money invested and little or no debt then you want the interest rate to rise as you will then make more money from your investments

luress
02-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Is that reddie legal????????? :-?

mulisha
02-05-2006, 08:57 PM
ive got a merc 175 6cyl 2 stroke im serioursley thinking a bout getting a smaller motor the fuel price is just shithouse!!!!

mulisha
02-05-2006, 09:01 PM
:'( :'( :'(

thesimmos
02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I am conscidering LPG for my car... as for my boat motor i just purchased a tohatsu 30hp and i find it extreemly economical and gets me along for hardly 3 litres per hour..

Craigus
02-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Get a ocean kayak, arms of steel and bravery of a lion #::) ;D

chanquetas
02-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Craigus is on to it! No motor...no worries!

seabug
03-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi PP,
Perhaps that should read WHEN fuel hits $2.00 a litre??

December 1998 Crude oil was $11 a barrel ;D

Tonight it is $73 a barrel :o :o

Anyone game to give a forecast for 2007? :( :(

Regards
Seabug

charleville
03-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I am conscidering LPG for my car...

I am not sure that the LPG conversions are that wonderful in the long term. My ex-taxi owning brother tells me that after a while they have some problems with the converters.

Mine is LPG ex factory and I have had no problems - although I don't keep cars longer than two years so I don't really know about the long term reliability of factory built LPG thingys either.

I would like to think that factory LPG cars are without long term fault as I just love how they run compared with the lumpy performance of petrol engines.

nickc506
03-05-2006, 12:39 AM
DO more landbased fishing. That will be the go......hehehehehe

bignick
03-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I think we'll just have to pick our days a bit better in terms of having the best chance of bringing home a feed (ie. better return for your dollar), thereby being able to justify the expenses to the Minister For War And Finance. For me, a trip to the Banks in the mighty V-Sea, including car petrol, boat petrol, oil, bait and ice, costs about $160-00. I only take one other person along, which brings it down to about $80-00 a head, which isn't overly foul. It is harder these days to find someone with a spare $80-00 lying around to spend on fishing, but I'll always go. Whatever your passtime/passion, you'll always find a way to fund it. It is a shame that kids of the future may miss out on the simple joys in life like fishing because something like money stands in the way; what price to you put on life education? Anyway, boats over 5.5 metres with an outboard bigger than 115hp (particularly a carburetted 2 stroke) will be being sold at bargain basement prices; as the fuel gets worse and worse, people won't be able to give the things away.

Cheers,
NICK.

Dodge41
03-05-2006, 07:34 AM
On the kayak fishing sites you will never see a thread along these lines; maybe there is a message in that :)

bushbeachboy
03-05-2006, 08:09 AM
I'll just pay the price. For me fishing has never been about economics. It's pure pleasure, great relaxation. Spending time with my kid, spending quiet time alone or time with mates, no radio's blaring, the soothing sound of the ratchet screaming....ahhh the good life :) :)

Sandman
03-05-2006, 08:20 AM
deisel is what has me baffeled go figure, but i agree with those that are addicted to fishing , you just pay and obviously share the load with those fishing with you. Does make you think about just taking the boat out for a spin go the 4 stroke.
Mick

MulletMan
03-05-2006, 08:37 AM
You know, in an indirect way, this will probably assist the fish recovery all over!
Bumma of a way to do it but a mate of mine in VMR says that the log ons from Boaties and the numbers using the ramps has shown a dramatic decrease last few months - starting to hurt I reckon.
Conversely, the charter boats are having a bonanza!
You can get any number of full day trips for $150 a head and (usually) be assured of a good feed for your money.
Not as good as mucking about in your own beat but hard to beat as value for money!
Personally I am now in the scene of just picking the right day (more fussy now), chuck the pick over and have a nice restful day on the water.
Been there dun that in the crazy old days of taking 500 diver whiting home and spending hours cleaning them!
Gotta be more laid back these days!

cabfisher
03-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi all .
Well when fuel reaches $2-00 a liter you have a choice sell the boat bite the bullit and Pay or buy a pair Of Oar's Happy days cheers Harry

SgBFish
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM
The pinkpather may be on something. "You know, in an indirect way, this will probably assist the fish recovery all over!"

The other grounds should get less heavily hit but the inshore ones, say around Mud and inside the Bay will get smashed.

If tighter bag limits come in that be a double whammy.

Still my kids loved 2 days running around the Bribie Passage on the weekend.
2 kids having a fish, pulling pots, catching sandies, digging in the sand, feeding pelicans, going goo goo at the dolphins. Cost in fuel, who cares!

The_Walrus
03-05-2006, 08:15 PM
With my yammi 25/4, fuel cost is not a problem. :)

I've done 3 outings to the Redcliffe reefs fishing from Scot's Point to Scarborough and still have fuel left in the tank (25 litres).

With the increases in fuel prices, we might also see the comeback of displacement and semi-displacement hulls.

Luc

slugo
04-05-2006, 06:30 AM
we all know that marine prices are way above normal I was down the local marina yesterday at port stephens and I nearly fell in the water looking at their fuel prices diesel..1.97 premium..1.90 . just glad that i have a boat on a trailer and the servo is down the road.

theoldlegend
04-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I wonder if we'll see some of the pros give the game away because of the additional fuel costs, or will they increase their prices like others have done? They problem they have, unlike others, is the uncertainty as to whether they'll actually catch anything after having spent a motza on diesel during the night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some of them trying to get the government to "buy-back" their licences, especially those over the border.

TOL

maat
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I'll have to piss the car off so I can afford to run me boat

maat

insideout
04-05-2006, 06:24 PM
If fuel goes over $2 a ltr , we may have to evolve from fishos to grottie yahaties............ ;D ;D ;D....... :o :o

webby
04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
It will be a Sad Day Indeed, if you have to give up your favourite pastime because of the price of fuel.
regards

Scalem
04-05-2006, 08:11 PM
I think there are enough deckies who want to come fishing with me I will become more selective about who I invite. ie: The deckie most generous in giving me some dollars toward fuel. Sad and cruel thing to consider, but true. Still, it's a very hard decision to make because some of them I want along because they are good company, not because they are flush with money.

Decisions decisions..... :-/

Scalem

onerabbit
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Dont care what it costs, I'm still going.

There's more at stake here than fish, I use my time at sea to clear all the cr@p out of my head & leave it out there, that more than takes care of the fuel bill.

Muzz

Flash
06-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Dont care what it costs, I'm still going.

There's more at stake here than fish, I use my time at sea to clear all the cr@p out of my head & leave it out there, that more than takes care of the fuel bill.

Muzz

Good one Muzz.

I used to ride motorbikes for that, really clears the head.

Flash
06-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I suppose I'll have to stay land based a bit longer.

rough_shag
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
My 5.5mtr glass Seafarer with Johnno 115hp 2 stroke motor will do an offshore trip 1hrs run out and 1hr back with a coupla hrs trolling etc etc thrown in ramp to ramp for about 55 litres fuel consumption-assuming planing conditions 80% of trip.At $1.30 per litre it is manageable at $2.00 per litre it starts to get serious.The government extracts 50% of the fuel price which I believe is the highest fuel tax in the world,so the govt could alleviate some of the pressure if they had the will to that is.
Fuel/oil production is fairly complex but as I understand it easy to get at oil reserves are reducing and new 'easy' extraction reserves aren't being located any more.Countries like England rely on the north sea for most of their oil but this is dwindling.Other countries like China and India are modernising rapidly and therefore require oil too-in vast amounts!.So demand is outstripping supply very quickly and the cost of very deep oil extraction is self defeating-it uses more energy to extract it than what it yields.ie uses one barrel of energy to extract 0.5 a barrel of oil.
In the end fuel costs will rise continually until it becomes unviable as an energy source for everyday use and this will FORCE the powers that be to seriously research and produce a viable alternative which may even be more environmentally friendly as a bonus-oh and that's assuming that they don't already have a viable alternative waiting in the wings.
Personally I'm thinking of purchasing a sail boat to go fishing in!.Don't panic!! cheers ,Jace.

karana
06-05-2006, 01:22 PM
1. We do not have the highest goverment fuel tax in the world, far from it.

2. When Greenpeace mounted the campaign and many other greenies jumped on board to help kill the shale oil project near Gladstone Sunfish jumped on board with Greenpeace. So it really is necessary to think things through before you are seduced.

bomber202
06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
If some can't afford the $2.00 per litre they won't fish in their boats, those that can will if it means less boats on the water make it $3.00 yyyyeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaa.

THE BOMBER

bidkev
06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
For those that may be interested, a google of sand oil or bitumen oil, may well stagger you. Canada alone has reserves expected to last for another 500yrs at current production, and vast tracts of wilderness are expected to dissapear to mining. Venezuela could also become a major player if Chavez doesn't frighten off investment. 70 other countries have deposits and from what I have read thus far, the traditional oil players on whom we have come to rely, may well have to move over to make way for less troublesome suppliers.........that is...........if those making a killing now are outed as scaremongering when they speak of reserves dwindling.

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102spring2002_Web_projects/M.Sexton/

Whilst the fat cats are getting fatter and we are worrying about whether we can justify using our boats as much, think on this:

"Skyrocketing prices for crude oil have started a rush that has turned the sands profitable. The industry has been producing oil for as little as $24 a barrel, creating huge profits when prices hit $70 a barrel or $60 or even $50.

The oil industry demanded, and was given, major tax breaks and sweetheart royalties by the provincial and federal governments for oil sands development. Under a new royalty schedule recently announced by the Alberta, companies will pay a minuscule one percent on oil sands production."

Makes me wanna throw up ::)

kev

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an automatic emergency on my part.

PinHead
06-05-2006, 05:29 PM
shale oil and sand oil and oil under ice are there by the billions of barrels kev..just a tad more expensive to extract..no big deal. All these doomsayers carrying on about alternative fuels cos oil is running out are full of crap...unless of course they are paid by the alternative fuel companies...similar to hole in ozone layer dribble...just depends who is paying as to the story the average joe receives.

hussy
06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
suppose i will have to get a honda ,problem solved

redspeckle
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
See in Today Sunday Mail 7/5/06 on Page 32 About Story on the Petrol Crisis
They have petrol prices from around the world from in Australian Dollars starting at cheapest 6c a Litre in Venezuela to most dearest in Norway at $2.54 a litre
Other countries list like USA $1.11 UK $2.29 France $2.49 Germany $2.24
Japan $1.53 Canada $1.17 Russia 88c China 76c and Australia at $1.33
Also was listed a one of the biggest oil produces Saudia Arbia at 19 c a litre
I am glad not living in Europe over the $2.00 mark at here Australia has reach that yet still be fishing until then
Mitch
C'mon The Cowboys in 2006

PinHead
07-05-2006, 12:56 PM
rough-shag..by your calcualtions that only makes an increase of $38.50 per trip..surely that is not all that much. Only amounts to a carton and a half...lots of drinks I guess but surely those who own boats and fish offshore aren't right on the edge of poverty.

seabug
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Nothing like sharing the cost of transport ;

rough_shag
08-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey Pinhead hows it goin? well an extra this or that amount at the present moment probably doesn't make much difference and as someone else said it will reduce the number of boats on the water-is that a good thing?,anyway it's more a case of looking at where we will be in say 5yrs or more that is the real issue and why.
If some boaties are happy to get ripped off and shafted by the govt and big corporations and can afford to absorb infinite cost increases then that's their perogative, personally I prefer to exercise my democratic right to ask questions and demand answers and not just sit back fat and dumb accepting whatever is imposed on me gleefully.Just because I personally can easily absorb any cost increases doesn't mean that I shouldn't question the reasons behind it and that's quite apart from considering the struggling family man who just wants to take his kids fishing on the weekend but finds himself walking a financial razors edge.
There are a whole range of boaties and fishermen out there from very wealthy to dirt poor and to take the attitude that just because I personally can afford endless cost increases and don't give a toss about anyone else is pretty un-australian I reckon not to mention selfish.
Jace.

rough_shag
08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
If the whole planet is floating on readily available easily extractable crude oil then I have 2 questions-Why is the USA so interested in the middle east?
-Why isn't oil based fuel cheap as chips?
Jace.

ahoj
08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
The cost of fuel will not get back to below 1$ I built my cat in order to use electric motor and at this stage use both with 6hp yamaha although my ecconomy is substantially lower then most of you my resources are also smaller so next step @ $2 /l is 2x80w solar panels to feed my batteries and get me where i wish to go all day in eternal silence and ecconomical bliss.... I am in protest to pay High manipulated prices for fuel. Most are manipulated by Options traders and big funds the oil corp are only the providers and grinning and our Gov although its taking a set exise tax the GST goes up with the prices and they are also grinning

But you just wait it can go to 3$
Perhaps a small fishing cat like I have will add to Global solution... 8-)
Ahoj

Steve_Monckton
08-05-2006, 01:40 PM
My little 3.95metre stacer proline with 30hp merc. mite not make it over the Ballina bar. good economy for rivers and dams though. wish I could get amongst fish like that here in northern nsw with my little tinny. I go outside with a mate in a 5.5 sailfish and $50 a trip ea. is still worthwhile. :-?

PinHead
08-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Pinhead hows it goin? well an extra this or that amount at the present moment probably doesn't make much difference and as someone else said it will reduce the number of boats on the water-is that a good thing?,anyway it's more a case of looking at where we will be in say 5yrs or more that is the real issue and why.
If some boaties are happy to get ripped off and shafted by the govt and big corporations and can afford to absorb infinite cost increases then that's their perogative, personally I prefer to exercise my democratic right to ask questions and demand answers and not just sit back fat and dumb accepting whatever is imposed on me gleefully.Just because I personally can easily absorb any cost increases doesn't mean that I shouldn't question the reasons behind it and that's quite apart from considering the struggling family man who just wants to take his kids fishing on the weekend but finds himself walking a financial razors edge.
#There are a whole range of boaties and fishermen out there from very wealthy to dirt poor and to take the attitude that just because I personally can afford endless cost increases and don't give a toss about anyone else is pretty un-australian I reckon not to mention selfish.
# # Jace. #

Of course you are entitled to question any price increase..but alas you never get real answers from Govt or Corps...I work on the principle that if there is something I cannot do anything about then I am not going to lose any sleep over it...life is way too short for that.

PinHead
08-05-2006, 03:27 PM
If the whole planet is floating on readily available easily extractable crude oil then I have 2 questions-Why is the USA so interested in the middle east?
#-Why isn't oil based fuel cheap as chips?
# Jace.

Jace..I can think of a couple of reasons why the USA is middle east absorbed...
1. To have a base to protect israel.
2. Iraq has 10% of the world's readily extractable oil supply..now ol' GW has to make sure that US economy stays vibrant and is the world leader...but...china's economy is thriving and obviously they need oil and other raw materials..in 2005 china was consuming 7.2 million barrels a day..hence the reason oil prices are surging...GW needs to try and slow china's economy to keep the US in front as the world's leading economy. China is now doing deals with Iran...kinda explains why the war sabres are being rattled towards Iran..just let Condi Rice loose..she is one hell of a hawk.

Thus ends my spiel on the world's problems. :) :)

subzero
08-05-2006, 05:05 PM
To run the Rescue Boats, the lads will have to shake the tin's louder and longer :'(

choppa
08-05-2006, 08:28 PM
this bloke had it pegged ages ago,,,,,,,,,,,(don't know where i got this from,,, but i love his determanation)

choppa

slugo
09-05-2006, 12:54 AM
choppa.. I think he is getting ready for the marine parks. (fishing in the near future)

Louis
12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I used to run my car on NGV (ie. Natural Gas for Vehicles)

It is the same stuff that people have running to their homes to cook on.

The principles behind it are similar to LPG except that it is stored as a compressed gas rather than as a liquid gas as LPG is.

Anyway it has not quite the octane value as leaded fuel but higher octane than the normal unleaded we are useing at the moment.

It is an incredibly clean burning fuel and when I did an oil change the oil came out looking like new.

It increases engine life and it doesn't have any of the other problems that LPG has.

I ran my car on this stuff for many years.

When everyone else was paying about 80 cents per litre for fuel I was filling up at the equivalent of 21 cents per litre. This price was fixed by the consumer price index.

Unfortunately however, to the best of my knowledge, Natural Gas for vehicles is not sold in the Brisbane area any longer and subequently I now have to run on petrol like everyone else.

There was talk of home charging systems being available where a compressor would pump your home natural gas (which is the same stuff) into the tank overnight so that the car would be ready to drive in the morning but alas I have heard no further comment in relation to this matter in recent times.

Louis

PS: I am thinking of going for a small 4 cylinder for my next car.

I am a large man. About 6 Foot 3 ( short in the legs but long in the body)and about 170kgs

Does anybody know of any small makes of car which are still roomy enough on the inside so that they are still comfortable for the ample gent such as myself?

rough_shag
13-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Hows it goin Louis,give the Nissan Pulsar a try or the Toyota Corolla or Mitsubishi Lancer, these all seem to be pretty roomy-I am 6'4" and pretty solid but manage these cars fairly well.Cheers!Jace.

Louis
14-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks Jace

I appreciate your reply

Louis

NEWBY
15-05-2006, 01:31 PM
When I got my licence in 1981, fuel was 23.7 cents a litre. I drove a Valiant. 265. It was quick and thirsty. Now, its $1.30odd a litre and rising. A good trip on a weekend in the Berty now costs me around $800.00 to $1000.00 bait, food etc. :'( A day out for a hundred bucks or so would be heaven to me.

SgBFish
15-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Newby $800 bucks for a day out!
Holy hole in the wallet Batman!

PinHead
15-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I thought my boat was bad enough at $400 to fill it

Louis
30-05-2006, 10:14 PM
With petrol prices being what they are and unfortunately to probably become more than what they currently are, I feel that a lot of people might soon look to selling their thirsty cars and going for 4 cylinder models.

I wonder if the market will be flooded with Petrol/Electric Hybrids in the following decade or so or possibly even by totally electric cars?

Louis

ida
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
i will still be fishn .its cheaper than a shrink!good therapy

flatstrap
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Looking at the fuel prices worldwide, we are still relatively cheaper compared to Britain, Greece etc. Prices in the Arab states are very cheap. I guess we were a bit spoiled for a long time and got used to cheap fuel.
Today, we just have to adjust our expenses to accommodate the necessary expenditure on fuel. Get rid of luxuries like food, clothes etc.
(joke) I guess we just have to adjust and get our heads around the fact that fuel will NEVER go back to the good ol' days....flatstrap

fish2eat
02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm just glad I chug along at 6.5knots using 7 litres an hour........ ;)

PinHead
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
these commodites are going thru the roof..I just got a copper pipe price increase todya of 12%..going up another 17% in 2 weeks.and that is just after a 6% increase in January

Swamp
23-04-2007, 10:53 PM
The same as if beer nearly doubled in price

Keep Drinking

Marlin_Mike
24-04-2007, 04:42 AM
If petrol hits 2 bucks a litre i'll still fish....................

Mike

crabs
24-04-2007, 07:53 AM
2 day on yhe water only cost me about 40bucks but it even cost me 100bucks i would still do it . 50 oil injected yammie ..... happy days.

Phoenix
24-04-2007, 09:14 AM
It's not if - but when. And I'd say before the fed election we will see $2/ liter.

I gave up my dreams of a boat a year back and got a kayak.
Insurance - goes on household
Fuel - Nil
Boat Rego - Nil
Boat License - Nil
Trailer - Nil
Trailer Rego - Nil
Trailer Insurance - Nil
Gym membership - Nil

The yak inc all accessories (inc lights & sounder) was about $3,000 and could last me 5-10 years if I look after her. By the sounds of it some boaties go through that many $ just on their annual petrol bill.

Benefits - Fitness and weight loss; combine that with fishing and landing some ripper fish.

juju
24-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Go Fishing...!!!....

bushbeachboy
24-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Nothing different. Can't beat the big oil companies and they know it, so I'll just pay the extra.

Wahoo
24-04-2007, 09:47 AM
sell my wifes car :P

Daz

time out
21-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Could try to run the motor on hopes and dreams. Prob get a second job.

minno
21-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Pay it or row. Ether way Iam still going fishing.;D ;D ;D

minno

bushbeachboy
22-05-2007, 05:59 AM
It seems to be happening sooner rather than later.

Poodroo
22-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I guess we will do the same thing as when fuel hit the $1.00 per litre. Before then I'd guess there were umpteen people asking the same question "What will we do when fuel hits the $1.00 per litre mark?" Well hit the $1.00 per litre mark it did and beyond but has anything really changed? Nope. We still fuel the boats up and we still fuel the cars up to tow them to the water and we still go fishing. Australian people just knuckle in and budget better to make things work and "SURVIVE." It's what we do. We always compensate in other ways. The fact is we love fishing and will do anything to make sure we can still get out there. Seriously I think the days of running V8's will never be over. There will always be people on large incomes who can afford to run them but for the average Joe who finds it tougher each day there are compromises ie: Trade the V8 inboard for a slightly smaller boat with a more fuel efficient 4-stroke for example. In my case I have started small. I knocked around Wello, Green and St.Helena islands for around $10 with my 25hp Tohatsu powered tinny. I guess the bigger the boat, the bigger the expenses huh?

Regards,

Poodroo

Marlin_Mike
22-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Looks like the dunny paper is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in lieu I will use the saving for fuel....:)

Mike

lee8sec
22-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Iwill spend more time on the pier at Urangan.:D Sold my boat, getting ready for the move north, will buy another, 4 stroke & still go fishing;D .The price for the older 2 stroke powered boats will drop most likely. Leigh

seabug
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Caltex predicts petrol will hit $3.34 in a decade

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/h14_heraldsun.gif (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/)
Justin Lloyd
March 05, 2008 11:34am

The country's biggest fuel company says petrol prices will rise above $3-a-litre in the foreseeable future, and says Australians are lucky they aren't already paying more.
As outrageous as it may seem, the cover of the latest issue of Caltex's magazine The Star features a cover predicting some time in the next decade when prices are 334.9c per litre.

The publication, sent to employees, franchisees and resellers, includes a foreword from managing director Des King saying prices in other countries were already more than $2 a litre and consumers have had to adjust to these.

"We understand consumers may be upset about the prospect of long-term higher prices in Australia," Mr King writes. "However, it is a prospect we all have to face."

Mr King was unavailable for comment yesterday, but a Caltex spokesman said if Australia's exchange rate dropped back to 50c to the US dollar it could also contribute to price rises.

"Nobody likes to think of petrol prices going higher. The idea for the futuristic cover is that we have to be thinking about the future of the industry," the spokesman said.

"It's not just about price - there are a range of other very important things to think about when we look at the oil industry.

"We can't just take it for granted."

Mr King believes prices will soar over the next few years as crude oil supplies dwindle and governments introduce charges to combat climate change.

The cheapest petrol in Sydney yesterday - the cheapest day of the week - was 128.9c per litre at the United in Kogarah Bay.

Caltex believes higher crude oil costs, global refining capacity shortages, higher fuel quality standards and the introduction of carbon costs by the Government to address climate change will lead to further rises.

While ten years ago crude oil was $US10 a barrel, recently it reached more than $US100 a barrel.

The magazine says there is no collusion when it comes to pricing, but competitors watch each other closely and prices can change quickly after a week or so of discounting.

A BP spokesman refused to speculate on future petrol prices, but said Australian prices would be worse if the market was not as competitive as it is.

"We sympathise with motorists," the spokesman said.

"Petrol prices have increased significantly over the past few years.

"It's something that's hard to bear for families out there."

Petrol prices in Australia are the fourth lowest of developed countries.

In 2006, Mexico, the USA and Canada were the only developed countries where petrol was cheaper.

Turkey, Norway, The Netherlands, Belgium and the UK were the highest, with prices the equivalent of more than 240c per litre.

An Australian Competition and Consumer Commission inquiry into petrol prices last year found no obvious evidence of price fixing.

With petrol prices already biting into the family budget, further rises will be a blow to Chiswick mother of two Fiona Gee.

"I always watch the prices and generally they go down on a Monday so I wait 'til then to fill up," she said.

Looks like we will hit $2 within 3-4 years

Regards

seabug

insideout
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
methinks that the petrol companies are having there work cut out lately trying to keep the lid on all the new fresh idea that are coming out of the braintrust for alternate energy, and are rallying togeather to try to make the most of a fast diminishing resource which they controlled for so long.......afterall who are we to go against them......we are lucky afterall to pay so little at the pump on fillup time they tell us...and there is no pricefixing if thay all raise it in unison on thursdays and public holidays ect... now, the last time i looked , i dont believe that i , or all other consumers are that stupid, to stomach this , but what do you do, besides trying to cut down on your consumption , or raise the price of your services,if you are lucky enough to have your own business.

SunnyCoastMark
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I wonder how a little sail would go on the centre console.;)

Someone might have to come up with a hybrid sailing/fishing boat.

Other than the derelict fishing boats the boat people used to attempt to immigrate to Oz in - has anyone thought of doing that before?

Can you imagine us complaining on this forum about the endless days of calm weather - when are we going to get some stiff Sou'Easterlies to get us out to the Banks:D

Mark

Tangles
05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Wondering if they have taken a leaf out of Qld labors and selling porkies, ie right now youve got it lucky and softening us all up, seems like the decisions been made,, bit like Morton Bay.

mike

FNQCairns
05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
One thing for sure, we will see more dangerous actions on the water due to 4 blokes in a 4.2 tinny with 40hp heading 50km offshore for an overnighter!

The hybrid sounds great it's just half the time I cannot fit the time to go fishing in even with a vroom vroom!

cheers fnq

baychaser
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Have you heard about this dvd at your local video store called " A crude awakening " ?
It's a doco about peak oil , supplies ready to run out soon ect ect. I got it out for a laugh and woohah ! :o :o :o , scared the crap out of me !
I'm no expert but I hope this film is wrong or not fillin'our boats cheaply is the last thing to worry about. :-/

Poodroo
05-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Now that this thread has once again surfaced I heard on the news this morning that by the end of the decade it is predicted that our fuel prices will get up to $5 per litre. That's got to hurt.

Poodroo

Poodroo
05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Double Post... please delete Mods. Thanks

Poodroo

PinHead
05-03-2008, 08:07 PM
yep..and the world is heating up..oil is running out..i am sure there will be a Y2010 bug somewhere soon..$5 a litre....will just have to up the charges some more..people are buying bottled water at about $3.50 each so what is 5 for some fuel.

BrewGuru
05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
You guys have got it all wrong, Buy a bloody old timber boat, weighing 20 tonnes or more, 40' foot or more, go out in any weather, power it up with a 120 hp Diesel using 8 litres per hour and have the time of your life!!

Nicko
05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I've got a small outboard on a small tinnie so fuel doesn't bother me there, the car I use to tow it uses a fair bit.

BrewGuru
05-03-2008, 08:51 PM
oh! and yo have gotta have a huge fuel tank so that you can invest in the future,

mangomick
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Geez Didnt I read all these when fuel hit $1 litre.
I cant see that there will be any problem. Now we have all the green zones in we wont have to go so far out to catch a feed and even though we'll be limited to only 20 reef fish they'll be so much bigger we'll probably only need to bring a couple home to have a feed for a week and.....Oh whats that Dear , time to wake up and go to Work????
Oh , I must have been dreaming:-[

Cammy
05-03-2008, 11:21 PM
is there anyway we can convert motors to gas like some cars are now? or am i missing something. im plannin to do that with my car when i get it, even if its gonna cost me like 2k to do it, still better than $3-$5 a LITRE for petrol.

Cammo

Foxy4
06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Will just have to pay up and shut up I suppose like we do now. The Govt let the Oil Companies do what they want. It is even tough enough running a 4cyc Hilux 4x2 in the traffic that we have these days as well. Just add a few more Toll Roads and we all might as well give up work and stay at home.... Be cheaper.

FNQCairns
06-03-2008, 08:48 AM
It will not be price of fuel in isolation that pulls us up from fishing, it will be trying to find the dollars for a full tank of fuel AFTER all of the other costs forced into the budget as a result of the price of fuel. So the $1.00 a liter period of argument pails somewhat in comparison.
Big business and government will not be open to a comensurate cuts in taxs or charges to relax domestic family budget shortfalls.

The cost to fill a 80L+ tank today is more than 30% of people have after basic cost of living expenses, then they need to buy food, medication, cloths, laundry detergent.

Will be interesting times ahead imo, where did I put my push bike, it's to be pivitol in my boat fuel tank funds savings plan:)

cheers fnq

PS anyone notice that at least for the first time in my life, the fuel in the jerry can is worth as much as the can it's self!!!!!!!

Noelm
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I think I said this way way back, most will just pay up and shut up, after a while it will be just common to pay $2 -5 a litre, but in the end, I think we will all just rethink the way we do things, like reducing our unecessary trips, car pooling, Public Transport, going slower than we do now in a mini Diesel powered single cylinder car, or even Electric may become "normal" as long as we can charge it up from the Sun or Wind, useless to have an Electric car, but need to plug it into the House power to charge it, this is very long term thinking, but in the end, we will all have to save/limit our energy use whether we like it or not, kind of like the idea of puttting around at 5 knots in an open, tiller steer, cylinder cylinder putt putt.

seamaid
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
:o :o ::) ::) Well, if i am going to get withdrawls from not going enough, i am going to have a transfusion of fish oil, because i am not going to spend my fishing time laying around like some one else i know;D ;D

insideout
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
big fuel prices brings back memories of movies such as waterworld, mad max, ect,ect

upstart
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
When I head down to the beach house at Cape Upstart each month or so I use at least 100L - that is 60L towing fuel and about 40L boat fuel. It's just another cost that has to be absorbed. At the moment it's cheaper than a night out to dinner and a few drinks so I reckon it's great value.
A mate of mine reckons he can't wait for Peak Oil to hit, it'll accelerate new environmentally friendly technological advances....

BilgeBoy
06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Gulp...Mad Max is starting to feel a little closer to home!!!

Reefmaster and I were talking about this a while back and asked him if he knew anyone making a diesel outboard. Well about a week or so later he sent me this link....Could be food for thought!!!! Sure the price is dearer but you get more outa a tank. Enjoy

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

Regards

BilgeBoy

Poodroo
07-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I am just going to keep hitting my boss up for pay rises. ;D

Poodroo

Cheech
07-03-2008, 09:49 AM
I recently bought a 2004 ford explorer with a V8. I figure it is my last chance to have a rediculously uneconomical vehicle. Sure is fun to drive. After this one goes, it will be back to economy.

Noelm
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
hhmm maybe mopeds and pushbikes, oars and sails, buses and trams,and a host of other "old time" stuff will make a comeback! but I reckon it will be very hard for our modern society to embrace anything other than, faster, bigger, better, imagine how most would cope today without even say, a mobile phone, most of the younger ones, might even talk to each other face to face!! nah, that would never happen, but just think how good it would be to walk aroung a Supermarket and not have to zig zag in and out of people dawdling along with their eyes firmly glued to a phone, totally oblivious to what is happening around them, or even commuting to work, and the person next to you had their eyes actually on the road instead of texting with one hand, holding coffee cup with the other, checking makeup/hair in the mirror, doing eyebrows as well, wonder how they steer???

baitwaster
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm going to pay through the nose for my fuel, then whinge about it on forums ;D

Noelm
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
hehe that sounds like a plan, I think I will too, I love a whinge!

gawby
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Come tomorrow i will put a 1,000 litres of diesel in my truck
to do my job and on wednesday i will do the same again.
1,000 lites equals $1,400- a fill up.

Going out in my boat for pleasure at about $120- is nothing.
I know what i would rather be doing.

Graeme

disorderly
09-03-2008, 08:28 PM
At the moment it's cheaper than a night out to dinner and a few drinks so I reckon it's great value.

You have hit the nail on the head.
It's all about prioritizing.
Would I rather spend a day or 2 at the reef and come home with an array of lovely reef fish to feed my family and friends or would I rather go out and pay an exorbitant amount of dough to eat half rate food and drink too expensive wine at a sad excuse for a restaurant.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Scott

Spaniard_King
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I Don't fear for myself when it comes to fuel prices. I fear for my kids will not enjoy what I have already enjoyed!