PDA

View Full Version : Reporting failing Beacon Lights

charleville
01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi folks;

Does anyone know of a phone number where failing beacon lights can be reported, please?

The light on the green beacon at the NW corner of St Helena has been so anaemic over the past couple of nights that it is useless and indeed is almost a hazard to boaties in its own right on a dark night.

Thanks in anticipation...

fish2eat
01-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Maritime Safety Qld are responsible for Nav Lights - try this

Brisbane region

MacArthur Avenue East
Pinkenba MacArthur Avenue East
Pinkenba Queensland 4008 ph 07 3860 3500 fax 07 3860 3571

charleville
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks Mate. I did not know what department was responsible. :)

redspeckle
01-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Gee that remind me [smiley=hammer.gif] must contact them about the frist red beacon as you leave Wellington piont to head out to the bay it has been turn on it side
Mitch
C'MON THE COWBOYS in 2006

charleville
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
As it turns out, I did not get to call them today but it did not matter as the NW St Helena green beacon was working perfectly tonight. They must have been on the ball after all. :)

fish2eat
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
These lights are powered by solar rechargeable batteries, so the batteries probably need replacing as well as the globes, I do think they check them fairly regularly due to the liability implications if there were an accident and the beacon wasn't working.

Just wish more markers had lights, there are several chanels down the pin that are unlit

Stu

charleville
02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I do think they check them fairly regularly due to the liability implications if there were an accident and the beacon wasn't working.

yeah - I got a bit of a surprise on Wednesday night because my GPS turned itself off just when i was near the beacon that I mentioned. #I put the motor into neutral and took my attention off my surroundings for a few seconds whilst I fiddled with the GPS to get it going again and when I looked up, the feebly lit beacon was right beside me. #This gave me a nasty shock. #

It was a very dark night and the green light was barely there and of course impossible to see with all of the city lights behind it.

Just wish more markers had lights, there are several chanels down the pin that are unlit
Likewise. #That unlit beacon on the south-east side of Mud gives me the willys. #:(

2iar
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
That unlit beacon on the south-east side of Mud gives me the willys. :(

Tell me about it - I had to engage Grand Marlin's services to fix my boat after missing it on a new moon and overcast night. He did a good job it has to be said, but I could have lived without the experience. ::)

Good luck,
Mike

MIKOS
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Fish2eat is on the money ;)

Its a job for the Navigational Aids section at Pinkenba.

Mike :)