PDA

View Full Version : Sad farewell to my old mate

woody74
02-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Had to have our 8 year old rotty Sarge put down last night :'(. Found a large lump on his front leg, so down to the vet we go. A couple of xrays later and it's not good news. The lump was Osteosarcoma, basically bone cancer. The part of the leg that the cancer had got into was nearly eaten right through. Being the size of the cancer and the amount of bone that was gone, the vet said that it would have to be attacking his organs aswell, so now knowing this, the only option was to have my old mate put to sleep. So at 5.15 last night laying on my lap, big heavy sod, he was gently put down. He is now in no pain and alot better off. We will all miss you big fella, and be with you again one day. CHEERS woody :'(

jim_farrell
02-06-2006, 02:15 PM
8 good years it sounds woody. Sorry to hear it.
Jim

roz
02-06-2006, 02:19 PM
That's so very sad to hear.

I was in the same position this time last year, a pet we've had for 18 years had to be put down and it breaks your heart.

hogesTS
02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
i feel for you mate, my faithful border collie x kelpie died at 12 last march, exactly 11 years to the day after we rescued her from the pound on my 10th birthday, she just all of a sudden feinted and never woke up :-[ certainly put a damper on my 21st birthday.

Our dog we have now has the same condition your rottie had, she had her front left leg amputated in december, and now the cancer has spread to her back right leg, so it seems she will be going in for the long sleep soon as well.

Mr__Bean
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I know exactly how it feels, I have had to take the last 3 family dogs down for the needle, came out blubbering on each occasion.

Having said that, I would do it again tomorrow rather than leave them endure pain.

While it hurts now, I am sure you know it was the right decision.

- Darren

themisses
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Sorry for your loss Woody. It's hard to let such a important member of the family go. But by the sound of it, you did the kindest thing possible for him in his hour of need. I'm sure he can never be replaced, but hopefully you can find a new little mate when you are read, to help fill the void. Cheers Kim. [smiley=angel.gif]

Herm
02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
So sorry about you mate Woody! :'(

They really do become a big part of your life. #

My old girl is 14 this year - pretty good for a big dog! #Sometimes she seemed to be a bit under the weather and I wonder how much longer she will be with us, and then the next day she can be leaping around life a pup! #So who knows?! ;)

Just remember that you did the best thing for him.

Janine :(

Volcano
02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
So sorry to hear it mate. Its miserable when you lose a loved pet.
We had a Blue Heeler (Called Clancy) that I had since I was about 12 years old.

The wife was walking her one afternoon, and she just lay down and refused to walk.
Took her to the vet, and the vet did a blood cell count on her. A dog's normal range is between 9 and 12 (I think) and Clancy's count came in at 2. She had the equivalent of Leukemia or something. Clancy got put down about 3 hours later.

I still miss her to this day. But instead of being miserable that she's gone, I think back on the great times we had with her... walking, taking her places, beaches, picking clothes out of her teeth after she attacked a bunch of hippies on said beach.

It's all about the good times.

MulletMan
02-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Mate, I lost my cocker spaniel eighteen months ago and big and ugly as I am, I can shed a tear just at the thought of her!

Have her ashes, collar and pics over my desk and miss her every minute of every day!

She was fourteen and had a great innings but still no consolation!

gruntahunter
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Tough stuff hey mate, and we are supposed to be the tougher sex. When it comes to that sort of thing we are just softies mate, so take heart in that we are all the bloody same mate. And dont be afraid to cry either cause u just have too sometimes. Bloody dogs. :(

warrior
02-06-2006, 06:08 PM
dont know what i would do if the third child went(dog) she is a big part of our lives and a bloody good listener,good luck with your next addition we all need them.

Burley_Boy
02-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Bugga, made me get a bit wet!
Our 10yo has been in the ground for a few months now but we found him dead on the patio having siezed and biting through the lip...
Helped still having the Rotty though.
Sux bigtime mate and I'm sorry.

Wyoming
02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I think Treasure is thinking of taking me to the vet, but I'm not going....

cuzzamundi
03-06-2006, 12:02 AM
hard luck mate. my beagle died 7 years ago now, and i still pine for him often. they leave an indellible mark on your life, and the memories should be cherished. sorry to hear it.

cuzza

bidkev
03-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Feel fer ya Woody. :'( Had our collie put down about 6 weeks ago.

Went to the pound immediately, as one of our boys was devastated and I came back with a mutt that I never thought I would feel sorry for. A terrier type wet rag that was just longing to be loved by everyone 'cept me ;D..........chewed up me bloody thongs today so he ain't getting much loving atm ;D

You'll find another, mate..........and the sooner the better. You know the saying about falling off yer bike? ;) :D

kev

There are too many people praying for mountains of difficulty to be removed, when what they really need is the courage to climb them.

Volcano
03-06-2006, 01:34 AM
A dog chewing up your thongs is actually a good sign Kingtin. :)
Got any photos of this wet rag? I'm a sucker for puppies. Both my current dogs (litter sisters) are ex-sippy-downs-refuge dogs.

Apparently they were tossed over the fence in a hessian bag. Out of 16 pups, 3 died in the sack. I got 2 of them... they have turned my life upside down, but by god I wouldn't have it any other way.

Woody - as I said earlier - you need to focus on the good times you had with your dog. You can never replace him, but the wet nose kisses and sloppy licks from another pup sure as anything reminds you why these bundles of fur brighten our lives.

Chin up big guy.

Feral
03-06-2006, 03:00 AM
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

fishingbarry
03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Woody,
Now that is a bad day , me too 3yrs ago ,Bingo the bwack dog as my litte girls would call him,had to be put down(12yrs),cried like a two year old for the rest of the day. You have a 105kg ,beer drinkin, hard b@stard sitting in front of the screen with a tear in his eye. I said never again but at my feet is Gumby the worlds most spoilt Staffy, over my bar is Bingo's collar and lead ,he loved a beer too. It will get better and all that can be said is how lucky our mates where and are to be in a home and with owners that love them like one of the family.
Cheers and all the best,
Barry.

bidkev
03-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Got any photos of this wet rag? I'm a sucker for puppies. <snip>

Yeah mate...should've recognised that it was a sign of something..........left him alone this morning for one hour (with a big marrowbone) whilst I picked up the kids from footy. Returned home to find he'd uprooted the deckie's favourite bonsai from it's pot ::) ;D

Always had rescued collies before whilst the deckie had setters........never thought we'd fall for a mutt like this ;D

kev

There is a technical meteorological term for a sunny, warm, calm, day which follows two rainy, windy days. It's called a "Monday."

bidkev
03-06-2006, 12:42 PM

Got any photos of this wet rag? I'm a sucker for puppies. <snip>

Yeah mate...should've recognised that it was a sign of something ::)..........left him alone this morning for one hour (with a big marrowbone) whilst I picked up the kids from footy. Returned home to find he'd uprooted the deckie's favourite bonsai from it's pot ::) ;D

Always had rescued collies before whilst the deckie had setters........never thought we'd fall for a mutt like this ;D

kev

There is a technical meteorological term for a sunny, warm, calm, day which follows two rainy, windy days. It's called a "Monday."