PDA

View Full Version : For Kingtin - Manly ramp pix

charleville
31-05-2006, 02:34 AM
I promised Kingtin that I would PM him some pix of the southern Manly ramp and especially its #newish adjacent pontoon jetty.

Then I remembered that PMs cannot have pix attached so these need to be relayed in one of the public forums....so here you are Kev...

charleville
31-05-2006, 02:38 AM
More ...

charleville
31-05-2006, 02:40 AM
No one is going to fall off that gangway # ;D ;D #They must have had lots of money in the budget #;D...

The beach on both sides of the ramp is surfaced with pebbles. Makes a crunching sound as you beach your boat but on my aluminium boat, there are no ill effects.

charleville
31-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Plenty of parking. These are pix from the NW corner. There are some lights at night - the ramp is well lit plus there are a couple of lights in the car park and around the toilets. No complaints about the lighting...

There is a water tap adjacent to the ramp where I flush my motor and wash the boat with my own hose. #

No fish cleaning facilities. #I would not imagine such would be desirable at this end of the boat harbour which would never get a good tidal flushing.

Basic toilet facilities are in the brick block on the left in the first picture.

charleville
31-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Hope this helps.... :)

Pix were taken at around midday, yesterday, Tuesday.

It gets a little busier on the weekends but I have never seen the car park come even close to being half full. #

Often find the RACQ sitting there beside the ramp enjoying the scenery awaiting their next job. #At night there is often a well loved old van parked under the trees with an old bloke having a sleep there. #He causes no concerns.

Have been checked by Water Police for safety gear at 2.30am at the ramp so whilst it is the quieter of the two Manly boat harbour public ramps, you are never inaccessible.

I have never had any difficulties at the ramp but I do know of one guy who has had theft there at night. #I have never had any problems there in four years. (Touch wood! #;) )

Scalem
31-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Charlie,

Is this the ramp right next to the Yacht club? I visited it many years ago and never gave it a second thought, always using the other public ramp that runs close to Brisbane Coastguard and getting my feet wet.

With as cold as it's getting this Nancy might have you to thank for warm footsies, thanks! I will check it out.

Brian

first_mate
31-05-2006, 08:04 PM
This is the ramp near the Yacht Club.

It can be tricky leading your boat from the trailer to the pontoon, if you do not have a driver in the boat at the time you launch off the trailer.

The little beach next to the ramp is soft gravel.

It is easy access to the bay from this ramp.

Angus

charleville
31-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Charlie,

Is this the ramp right next to the Yacht club? #I visited it many years ago and never gave it a second thought, always using the other public ramp that runs close to Brisbane Coastguard and getting my feet wet.

Yep - As first mate says, it is not easy getting the boat from the ramp to the pontoon so I have to admit that as a lone boatie, I still get my feet wet.

Nevertheless, it is a much better facility than the one next to the Coastguard. It takes a bit longer to get from that ramp to the open bay but what the heck, that is when I usually slap on some sunscreen etc as I motor out.

redspeckle
01-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I have been useing it lately when the weather going to be rough of Afternoon or night time instead of Wellington Point ramp and great place to launch boat by yourself and plently of parking :) and have to agree with Charleville with his comments above and add to it chance to warm up the outborad and set up elec equipment on that way out
Mitch

ibbo
01-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Ah!! The good old quiet ramp secret is out :(

IBBO

Scalem
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Ah!! The good old quiet ramp secret is out :(

IBBO

Don't worry mate, I have launch and retrieve down to a fine art, you'll hardly notice me! Blink, and I have arrived and gone in that time LOL

Feral
02-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Its a narrow looking ramp, or is that an optical illusion coz of the angle the photo's are from. Looks only 2 cars wide.

charleville
02-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Its a narrow looking ramp, or is that an optical illusion coz of the angle the photo's are from. Looks only 2 cars wide.

Three cars wide. Never seen three cars on it though.

Sailors use it a bit. They have plenty of room to rig in the car park.

bidkev
03-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for that Charlie. Sorry it took so long to respond but had a slight technical hitch ;D Looks the goods..........the crew are already pushing for a launch there as it gets them to the vermin spots pretty easily.........I think Shovelly may be on the menu soon ;D

kev

There are two types of people in this world: those who leave a mark, and others who just leave a stain.

charleville
03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
My pleasure Kev. Keep driving past the boat harbour until you see a sign saying Lota on the LHS. Turn left there.

Best wishes...

rough_shag
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Crikey!!! pure luxury! you guys should see the absolute chaos at the Spinnaker sound ramp pretty much anytime from Friday thru Monday.The large carpark is so full most of the w/end that trailers are overflowing onto the side street and out onto the sides of the main Bribie rd and this is situation normal up here.You should call that Manly one the ramp of solitude or something!.Jace.

deb
04-06-2006, 05:06 PM
WARNING, it is absolutely useless at low tide, if you drive on and off!

We use it a lot, and I am not kidding, low tide on it, with 18+ft boat, not only will you ground inthe mud, about 3ft away from the ramp, the car tyres get backed into the salt water for about metre inlength at 6" deep, just to reach the trailer tyres to bearings.

Any other times, good ramp, just need to patient with the yachties who use it a lot.

skippa
04-06-2006, 06:05 PM
WARNING, it is absolutely useless at low tide, if you drive on and off! .......

Same as Redland Bay ramp too, mate 'stretched' his trailer a while back .... ouch :P

Big drop off at the end of ramp, however someone has painted white markers on the side rock walls tho

Cheers,
Tony 8-)