PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: How-To Section

Volcano
01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Howdy Fellow Ausfishers...
Not sure if this has been suggested before, or even of the merrit of the idea, but I thought I'd throw it up here for discussion anyway.

A How-To section.
I have picked up so many usefull ways of doing things on here, from filleting fish to launching, etc etc.
Occasionally, I have had the need to review this information and have found it difficult locating said threads.

Having this section would not only be a handy resource for others, but it might encourage others to post their knowledge of specific topics and help avoid multiple threads asking "How do I do ......"

So, what do you reckon?

Matt.

fishingbarry
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I like the idea , I also have hunted a "how to" that I have read before and with my beer brain cells [smiley=beer.gif] sometimes remembering just where to look is a little foggy.
Cheers
Barry

fish2eat
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
we have so many sections already and half the members can't even post in the correct one.......don't think it's gonna fly Orville

blaze
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
if you find info that you want to retain whynot copy and paste into a word doc and save it on your harddrive and when you get enough burn them to a cd and you then have your own collection of how to's that are relevent to you.
cheers
blaze

DaneCross
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
How about a 'Best Of Ausfish' forum ;D Lucky Phill has come up with some top threads lately ie making sinkers and d.i.y. live bait tank... then theres the Ants in Play Pen and Blazes boat re-build(s)... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Good call Matt and good advice #Blaze.

Yes Dane, I have gained so much over my time here, it would be a great innovation. #I do what Blaze suggests and copy and paste the topic add, to a works program.

All suggestions like this are welcome , but may not see fruition. #But, ya never know.

CHeers # Phill

Volcano
02-06-2006, 09:00 AM
If you never ask, you never receive. ;)

fish2eat - Just becuase a member can't post in the correct forum doesn't mean there is no need for an extra forum. Education is the key here.

blaze - the *really* important stuff I do something similar to that... but why go to all that effort? I like alot of Aussies have DSL, so my internet is always on. Why duplicate the information on my hard drive when it is available 24x7 here on ausfish.

Lucky_Phil - To be perfectly honest, your sinker thread was one of the threads for the inspiration behind this section. Unless that thread gets stickied (Not sure if it is) it will eventually get lost. Its the nature of forums.

Personally, I believe Ausfish would benefit from a "how-to" section. I think it would stimulate posting as ausfishers seem to be amongst the friendliest I have come across and are always willing to share their knowledge.

If you guys in your wisdom decide it isn't warranted, I promise I won't loose any sleep ;D

Matt.

charleville
02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Great idea. I'd vote for it.

All those in favour say "Aye"... :)

Tony_N
02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Yep

I reckon its a ###### idea. #I suggested something like it when Slider started posting on tailor fishing.

Its probably too much of an imposition on the mods to have to paste the stuff in # - but rather than another board, I reckon it belongs up on the blue line of stuff at the very top of the page - ie #Products, Hints and tips, How to, etc.

Tony

Big_Ren
02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Aye....love the idea Matt. Hope it gets up.

Cheers
Paul :)

Volcano
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Tony, even that would be great.
There is just so much important information in alot of these threads, some kind of an indexed view of them would be priceless (Well, in my humble opinion anyway)

MulletMan
02-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Think it is a great idea but.......................................

On some "how to" topics you can get anything from one to one hundred replies with usually well intended advice and/or ideas.

Many are repetitive whilst some others could get the beginner into trouble - been there dun that! :'(

Someone would have to edit all the replies :-/ :-/ and then keep only the best one - what a job!

As it is this way, the poster at least gets to read them all and then makes up hus mind which is the best way to go.

Again, I reckon it is a sound idea but the Webby would probably go nuts trying to work out say eighty replies on how to apply fibreglass or fix a small hole in the floor.

Don't intend to rain on the parade all the same!!

bonka
02-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I agree too. For what my two-bits may be worth. I know the search function is a great help in locating this stuff but some indexing would definately be worthwhile...maybe a lot of extra work for the boffins behind the scenes though and understand their reluctance if they do have any?

These great ideas are what mostly brought me to the site and joining Ausfish. As I'm new to the fishing scene here I've found this site a tremendous asset as I'm sure have others.

Great job guys and really helpful members.

solwota
02-06-2006, 10:57 AM
i agree too. ausfish is a fantastic brains trust and i don't think editing would be an issue we all do it mentally every time we read a post. you pick what you think is applicable to you and dissregard the rest.

cheers
richard

hogesTS
02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
i personally think a how-to section would be a good idea. On a few car forums im a member of there are how-to and tutorial sections where uses submit a tutorial or technical article, rather then sifting through archiving past posts or threads.

Obviously with something as ambiguous as techniques for different species and locations a how-to would not work, and the forum provides a great way of getting this information. But for things such as reel maintainence, knot and rig tying, engine and boat maintainence etc where there is a clear method that works most of the time a how-to section would work well and would serve newbies and seasoned vets alilke and keep repetitive posts out of the forum sections.

imported_admin
02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just one proposal woudl be as follows.

A How To/Hot Topic/Useful Info section woudl be created.

Initially memebrs would not be able to start topics in this section but Moderators could move posts into this section if the post fits the criteria. Members however would be able to reply to posts that are in this section and continue teh discussion.

This would save the mods having to decide if a threads started in this section should really be there or moved to an appropriate section, saving the mods more workload.

It would also mean that the subject would be listed and searchable in the relevant section and linked to the How To... section.

It could also be opened up at a later date, if needed, so that members could start new threads.

Your Thoughts?

If you could post up the Tittles of the Topics as well as the URL's of existing subjects that you think should be in the section it would make making the decission to start it a lot easier. No use starting a new section if it will only have a few threads.

E.G. -
DIY Live Bait Tank - http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1148114864

Etc, Etc,

Volcano
02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Steve - thats almost perfect!Actually... hold that thought.
It IS perfect.
If you guys could do that, life would just be grand!

MulletMan
03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
.. but there's more.....!

There is always a huge amount of information on what are the best products to use on boats, trailers etc.

Probably not a "how to" concept as such but some great stuff has been posted in the past.

Like umm, what is the best stuff to clean SS with?
and "how do you clean canopies" etc.

Great idea the new section!

dnej
03-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Amazing, I suggested this 18 months ago to Ausfish.

Because we dont have one,questions get asked over and over, and there is only so many times you can say the same thing.
Take for example the trailer set up in the boating section,that is current.I have answered that question at least 3 times.

A how to" Set up your trailer" would be great place to start.
David

imported_admin
03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
If you could post up the Tittles of the Topics as well as the URL's of existing subjects that you think should be in the section it would make making the decission to start it a lot easier. No use starting a new section if it will only have a few threads.

E.G. -
DIY Live Bait Tank - http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1148114864

Etc, Etc,

This will also save myself and the mods a lot of time in searching for subjects if we go ahead with the new section.

charleville
03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Just one proposal woudl be as follows.

A How To/Hot Topic/Useful Info section woudl be created........

......Your Thoughts?

Steve - I sorta worry about including "Hot Topics" in this "How to" section because of how what constitutes hot topics may be interpreted by the mods.

For instance, should some pre-election spin by the Fishing Party be put into this section because a favorable Mod thinks that it is a hot topic? #That would be contrary to the intent of a "How to" section and dilute its value.

To a lesser extent, the "Useful Info" might also be liberally interpreted but I am less concerned about that. #For instance, my post recently asking about where to ring to report faulty beacon lights might sensibly be included in such a section because I imagine that such question comes up from a number of people from time to time. #Likewise Subzero's post about Qld Rescue Contact Details might be well posted at the top of that section.

I think that the idea is great, though. :)

Anyway that is my $0.02 worth... :)

snasman
04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
:) fantastic idea I'm all for it

ED_MASLEN
05-06-2006, 05:16 PM
i was wanting to know if anyone could tell me how to cure beachworms thanks ED

charleville
05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
i was wanting to know if anyone could tell me how to cure beachworms

Penicillin should do it. # ;D ;D ;D

Sorry - some boofhead was bound to say something gross like this. #It may as well be me. # :-[