PDA

View Full Version : OUTSIDE VIRGIN

ON-THE-CHEW
01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I have yet to venture outside of any bar yet to the deep blue water beyond. Curiosity is killing me but after a few people's expertease first. I own a 6 metre Yalta 555 with a 130 Yamaha on the back. I know winter has the least amount of current outside, but with this size boat what would be comfortable conditions for it (wind speed and swell) and when should I start to think twice. I know a lot I will gain from experience but a few helpfull hinters before hand would be handy. What tides do you prefer coming in and going out of the bar.

ON-THE-CHEW
<")>< <")>< <")><

The_Tub
01-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey on the chew :)

When starting cross bars you should go with someone who know's what there doing going in and out.The best time to go out is when the tide is coming in,depending on the size of the swell,just do the necessary checks on the boat and make sure everything is secure,stay patient and don't lose your cool half way out or in, once committed your in,don'tchange your mind,really it's all experience,your boat sounds more than capable,alot of the guy's and girls on this site should be able to give you some good pointers ;) ;)

Good luck,once you get out and into them you won't look back ;)

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
PM waiting for you.

Phill

roz
01-06-2006, 10:50 PM
what bar will you be crossing?

You will really need someone with you who has experience. Don't forget the safety gear & find out details of your local coast guard.

Big_Ren
01-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Or better still, join your local coast guard/VMR as a volunteer. I did it for 6 years as a younger tacker and haven't looked back. It's all competency-based training these days so you will learn something new every day you're on crew duty.

Cheers
Paul :)

John_R
02-06-2006, 05:18 AM
I joined Power Boat Anglers and have crossed Wide bay bar and South Passage Bar several times with them. #Would not have done it alone first time on either bar regardless. I have a 5.5 metre quintrex cuddy.

High incoming tide with minimal swell is best for bars. #Having confidence and some aggression is required - if you pussy foot or change your mind you will mess up for sure.

I generally look at Seabreeze and Brownies for the wave rider buoys. #Looks good when the forecast is less than 10 knots and swell less than 1.5 and 10 sec or longer.

Mooloolaba is good because the river mouth is generally an easy bar to cross, although I have heard of boats coming out and getting overturned by swells coming from the starboard. #A right turn after getting out so that you are facing into the swells is therefore necessary.

Fishin_Dan
02-06-2006, 07:55 AM
You could always look into doing one of Bill Corten's courses. He does the "Bar Crossing" course as well as a "Outside Fishing" one. His contact details would be in any Bush'N'Beach or FQM

Sportfish_5
02-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Only one way to bust your cherry ;)

Try M/ba or the Seaway first to get your legs. Crossin bars is a whole different kettle of fish compared to these two but you gotta start somewhere - pick your days and go with another experienced boat.

Cheers

Greg

lippa
02-06-2006, 09:11 AM
the bar at 1770 is also a good one to cut your teeth on. i got thrown in the deep end with my first crossing. out the breakers at fraser island. me legs were like jelly. once you've done it, it becomes second nature. commonsense must always be used but.

cheers

lippa

ON-THE-CHEW
02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all of the help guys, might have a go at attempting the seaway but appart from that will be going to do a coarse with Bill sounds like he comes very highly recomended.

Andrew
<")>< <")>< <")><

Daniel_Trenfield
02-06-2006, 06:57 PM
When you do the Seaway....

Be aware of dead man's bank - is close to 2Nm out in a N/E direction.

I always head south/east first, unless swell is <1.2 & high tide.

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS SIT IN SAFE WATER & WATCH SIMILAR SIZED BOATS .

TAKE NOTE OF THEIR SPEED & BEARING.

Don't forget the new life jacket regulations!!!!!!

Dan.

fishn-ads
02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Where are you?

If in brissie go round the top off Morten "No Bar" You can leave from Scarbough or Birbie plenty of reefs out that way don't go this weekend, could pop more than a cherry.

Ads

Burley_Boy
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
As far as the new reg go I don't think they apply to your boat and nor do they apply to the GC Seaway.
Fine idea to do the Seaway first to get the Feel for the wild blue yonder. There is a reason the regs don't apply to the Seaway so do go there. Having said that there are boats that go down there too. I'd like to do Bill Cortens course too but I'm happy I've headed out the seaway hundreds of times first giving me value for money when I do his course for the real stuff!
But really just get the feel for the Seaway first and it will give you a bit of a kick with low risk. Pick a day preferably early morning and don't bother if its already 15knots, keep away from the short swell over 1,2M you will be fine anyway. Check the waverider bouy first and over 1,2M don't go.

If you get there at the top of the tide you'll likely see a pretty flat sea, just avoid the last 1/3 of the outgoing tide as it will be the worst., Head out in anything to 1.2M to start with and certainly head SE as you head out. Thats roughly 45deg as you head out the centre of the seaway. You'll find that the swell normally comes from that direction and that you will hit the shallow spot within the first 100-200M of the entrance. Just head out into this and you will be fine unless you pick a really poor day. You can't miss it...!

Just my opinion for a 1st timer but use common sense, go there and if you're not comfortable don't do it.

ON-THE-CHEW
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I have all of the safety equipment required. For a six metre fibreglass boat what size reef anchor would anyone recomend. Also which fitting on the anchor retrieval float do most people use.

<")>< <")>< <")><

rainbowrascal
05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
It might pay for you to take a picnic basket and some surf casting rods down to the seaway breakwater on a weekend and analyse the tides versus sets of swells coming in, timing of breaks etc. You can also see other boats venturing out which you can only learn from. This will give you a better understanding as to where the channels are and which direction the boats venture out versus wave and swell direction. All bars are dangerous so put your lifejackets on, no matter what. For anchor retreival I use a round loop of stainless which hooks through to a ring on one side. This is undone and then hooked over the anchor rope when at anchor, it has about 1.5m of rope to a 25l bottle. I just throw overboard and then steam off which brings the anchor to the surface, just got to watch the rope direction and have crew ready to drag on board. For anchor size, it might pay the check your boat weight against requirements at the local chandler. Hope this helps.
Paul :) :) :)

finding_time
05-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Where are you?

If in brissie go round the top off Morten "No Bar" You can leave from Scarbough or Birbie plenty of reefs out that way don't go this weekend, could pop more than a cherry.

Ads

Ads

During the last twelve months this has been FAR from the case if there is any size to the swell and the tide is running out you would be very suprised where waves are breaking at the moment, i know i got a nice little wake up call last winter when travelling back in at 12.00am a whole line of breakers were standing up on my starboard side.....!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ian

luckyone
06-06-2006, 06:15 AM
hi andrew give me a call and i will give you some marks too get you going for a feed and bill cortons course is about the best you will get .keith