PDA

View Full Version : THE SAME QUESTIONS AGAIN

gawby
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I do not know if it is me but i seem to think that the same questions that have been asked in the recent past are on again.
With all due respect i think that a bit of reading through past posts would answer a lot of questions.
Graeme

bidkev
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah Graeme, that happens on most groups. I think sometimes that it is just a way of someone introducing themselves and eager to be part of the group although I am guessing as to what questions you are referring to.

I suppose new members could use the search engine to find out if a matter has been raised before, but IMHO it's not one of the most user friendly ones (may have changed since I last used it).

I know there's lots of new members since I joined and I remember way back a thread "what do you do for a crust". That may need new life putting into it 'cause if I remember correctly some guys were "horse trading" their skills to each other and that may benefit members that have joined since that thread......... eg I'll show you how to best cook catties if you come and do some landscaping for me ;D

kev

Herm
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Yep - Sorry that might have been me! :-[

I am new around here and spend many hours reading up on past posts and was keen to participate. #

As Kev said.....
Yeah Graeme, that happens on most groups. I think sometimes that it is just a way of someone introducing themselves and eager to be part of the group although I am guessing as to what questions you are referring to.

I suppose new members could use the search engine to find out if a matter has been raised before, but IMHO it's not one of the most user friendly ones (may have changed since I last used it).

I started a thread "Where are you?" just to try to get an idea about where most people are situated, only to find out later that I could have activated a button in "my options" that can give me that info (if supplied) anyway! #But it seemed that people were happy to add their info and if not they just did not post!

I apologise to anyone for rehashing old questions, I will try to do a search in the future and do more research before thinking about posting a question again. :-/

Janine

bidkev
07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Don't think it was referring to your post Janine, although I could be wrong. There's a thread called "occupations" and this has been covered before in the "crust" thread, although some of the "crust' posters have left since posting and there are newbies who won't have seen the "crust" thread.

kev

Owen
07-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Janine,
I don't see it as a big deal.
Most times people will just point you to the link of the older thread.

Kev,
As for "what you do for a crust", I know a joke about that, but I'm not old enough to tell it ;D

cheers,
Owen

banshee
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm with Owen,if you think about it with about a third of a million replies to about thirty six thousand topics everything has probably been covered,better to keep the site alive as opposed to an archieve.

Sportfish_5
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Are there really any new questions ::)

No big deal. Dont click the link if it irritates you that much

barradise
07-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Hang on a minute, I'll just scroll back and check.

Feral
08-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Ah just think of it as being at the pub after a few beers, get to hear all the same old stories and questions all over again.

theoldlegend
08-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Apology accepted reluctantly Janine. :(

Your apology would be accepted happily if you fronted up with 2 bottles of Bundy under your arm. :D I mustn't live too far from you, so it shouldn't be too much of an effort for you.

TOL

gawby
08-06-2006, 07:37 AM
It was not my intenstions to belittle anyone or make a big deal outof this but some of the questions asked have been covered in detail on this site.
I was just pointing out if you have a look you might find what you want.
By all means ask what you want as if you dont ask you wont find out.
I didnot direct this at anyone in particular and did not mean to cause any unrest.
Graeme ;)

blaze
08-06-2006, 07:38 AM
just blow the air raid siren TOL
cheers
blaze

theoldlegend
08-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Yeh Blaze, I'd forgotten about the air raid siren!! Should run it past wife again and see if her views have changed at all about me getting one.

Somehow, I think the answer is going to be the same as the last time.

Actually, I mentioned it to one of the police where I do voluntary work, and she didn't seem too impressed either. Started talking about false terrorist alarms, emergency services being activated, huge penalties etc.

Where's all the fun gone these days?

TOL

bidkev
08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
It was not my intenstions to belittle anyone or make a big deal outof this but some of the questions asked have been covered in detail on this site.
I was just pointing out if you have a look you might find what you want.
By all means ask what you want as if you dont ask you wont find out.
I didnot direct this at anyone in particular and did not mean to cause any unrest.
Graeme ;)

Graeme, I think most of us know you well enough than to even consider that there was anything antagonistic about your post. You have a valid point.

kev

hussy
08-06-2006, 09:44 AM
i dont see anything wrong wiyh bringing up a post that is already been covered , if that was the case we could close most sections because most questions have already been covered, keep the forums active ,if you have heard that thread before ,simply dont reply to it if it bothers you.hussy

hussy
08-06-2006, 09:47 AM
i live on bribie iwork at a bribie school . that was easy didnt bother me hussy

rick_k
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
it's good enough for the rest of the fishing media to rehash/run/cycle, so I suppose it is ok here to.

first_mate
08-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I like watching Rex Hunt re-runs because I go - "Oh yeah - I forgot you do that"
Reading replies to already asked questions sometimes prompts the same reaction in me. Yeah - I need to do that - or go - there - or cook that!!

Cheers,
Angus

gawby
08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I can sit here and read all the smart ars# comments any one wants to post, it dosn't worry me.
The only thing i was pointing out was that same of the things asked have been covered in detailed posts.
Revamp what ever you want but you might miss out on some of the excelent replies to your questions in previos posts.
Ask all the questions you want because thats what its all about, and for that matter replying was easy, didn't bother me either. ;D
Graeme

Fat Chilli
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
New Question - Where do flies go at night? #:-X

I moderate a Jeep forum, if I had a dollar for everytime a new member asks the same questions #8-), it would be great! As already stated it is a way of intrducing one's self. I am guilty of it in this forum, even after reading and searching.

In the Jeep forum we set up the most commonly asked questions as 'stickies' so there was a first point of reference for newbies. It may help if their was a newby boat questions forum or sticky.

For example:

IMPORTANT! Read this section before asking any questions.

Step one: DO A SEARCH.
Step two: Do another search using different wording.
Step three: Nothing found? You are now allowed to ask the question#without copping $hit.;D

Just an idea.

FC