PDA

View Full Version : brownie points........

insideout
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Maybe im blessed with my wife letting me go fishing when i like,but its seams to me that all of my mates have to accrew "brownie points" through the week to get on the water on the weekend, and i always get a laugh at the things they do to get these points, including lying,skullduggary,bribary,sucking up,ect. im wondering if this is a common thing amongst fishos and how the point scoring system works, and what is the worst / best thing you have done to obtain your " leave pass"........

hogesTS
07-06-2006, 01:03 AM
lol now this should be interesting!
whenever im up with my gf on TI i try to do as many things during the week like wash her car, doing washing, sweeping floors etc so i can get leave on the weekends to go out fishing, i hate to think what itll be like when i get my own boat ::)

The_Walrus
07-06-2006, 02:28 AM
All family commitments entered on the kitchen calendar, so other than those dates, I just go. :)

Taking more flexi midweek to fish so not so much fishing on weekends unless club outings or sons want to wet a line.

Luc

Feral
07-06-2006, 06:04 AM
lol now this should be interesting!
whenever im up with my gf on TI i try to do as many things during the week like wash her car, doing washing, sweeping floors etc so i can get leave on the weekends to go out fishing, i hate to think what itll be like when i get my own boat ::)

Better do that before she gets that ball and chain around your ankle.

finding_time
07-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Lying, skullduggery,bribary and sucking-up are good starts but there is so much more to it than just that..

It always a good idea if you let your better half believe it was her idea to let you go on the fishing trip, this is usually done by having the wife FIND out about the trip from someone else other than you eg. fishing buddies wife and then when aproached say you haven't got time to go as there is to much to do around the house. (this always works as it's kind of a reverse guilt trip)

For the extended trip the further ahead you plan the better, if you say to the misses that in 2.5 years that you fishing for a week they say sure no problems as 2.5 years seems to far away to worry about.

Have a stack of jobs around the house that the better half has been wanting done forever then as you see a hole in the weather comming do one of the jobs , she'll know what your doing ,but is so grateful that the job is finally done she wont care about the fishing trip.

That's all for now! i cant give away to many as some of my mate on this site will think its very funny to show my better half this thread ( It was all a joke honey i wouldn't really do these things :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D i'm just tryiny to be funny ;))

#Ian

Ps. i forgot to add Dont earn to many brownie points at one time , always earn just enough as they dont keep! IF you earn just enough for a trip or earn enough for ten trips they still will be all gone after the first trip ;)

Fishin_Dan
07-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Got sick of having to get brownie points so I didn't cop it for going fishing all the time, so I left her ;D No problems now!!! HA HA HA

DICER
07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
bit more difficult with young kids - I am always being compared with getting up early to go for a fish BUT when it comes to the young ones early in the morning!!!! It always seems to my other half that if I want to fish I can get up when ever I want!!! (sometimes its true but not always!!)

the leave pass is always issued with this tag...... and of course the vice versa arguement is pinned in there

Someone please help here.....

fez
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Alowed to go mid week no problems, weekends is a complete different story, so I just go mid week, saves all problems.

Fez

Bundy_Burp
07-06-2006, 08:42 AM
The ex made me make the choice her or the fishin as you guess by the ex I chose the fishin . [smiley=hammer.gif] .

Argle
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I need to try and fit fishing in around doing the usual jobs around the house and spending time with my two little blokes (10 months and 2 1/2) So any time mum lets me off the chain is appreciated. She is a stay home mum with no family within 14 hours travel time so sometimes she just needs a break too.
All in all im pretty happy with the situation and as my boys get older there will be heaps more fishing opportunities :)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

where_is_dave
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I developed a long term strategy...

Start off taking her out to places where we we would always catch fish (even if they weren't quality fish), have something nice to look at in sheltered waters, pleasant weather etc. I would do all the stinky bits with the bait and fish cleaning.
Then slowly but surely turn up the heat. Get out early mornings, make her bait her own hook, rain hail or shine, clean her own catch all that kind of gear.

It wasn't 100% succesful because now she's as keen as I am. I can't get away from her. I have no refuge, I don't even have a shed to hide in.

Just kidding dear....

PAYNE
07-06-2006, 10:04 AM
I've been to Broome, the Ribbons Reefs, Darwin a couple of times, Weipa and a whole lot more places without the other half. Off to Maningrida in September without him.

Do you know how many Brownie points THAT is worth ;) ;D

hussy
07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
why are women so cruel. hussy

mickstar001
07-06-2006, 11:59 AM
yeah same here do most of the fishing mid-week and once or so a month squeeze one in on the weekend 8-)

Nic
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I didn't know guys did all this cunning brownie points stuff! The other half paid for one of my Gary Howard Shikaris which I thought was a lovely gesture, but now that I think about it he did do that just before going on a boys' trip to Fraser for 2 weeks... :-? Might have to change my username from 'Nic' to 'Gullible'

gogecko
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
My missus loves to eat fish, so as long as I bring some home, I can go out again next time!

Lately Ive been doing ok, touch wood.

12 mths ago, I had many fruitless trips because I targeted jacks only. I think everyone on ausfish felt sorry for me, cos they all heard about it.....the wife even muttered 'give up fishing'! Thats when I changed target species.

I'll do the same in the next warm season, but now I know where to find a flatty, bream, squire, cod, and tailor, so I have lots of backup plans.

Havent had to resort to the seafood shop on the way home for a long time now, but I think cheating is ok if it gets you more fishing time.
All's fair in love and war....

Andrew

PAYNE
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
why are women so cruel. hussy

Now now Hussy...... my other half is going on some you beaut State of Origin shindig next week starting at the XXXX brewery, then he gets a you beaut dinner, dancing girls, great seats at the game and all the alcohol he can drink.........

Where will I be??? At home watching the game on t.v. At least I get the ice-cream to myself ::)

lippa
07-06-2006, 04:36 PM
i give my ol' girl the money from any cashies i do. (i mean legitamatly invoiced jobs) ;D that keeps her happy

cheers

lippa

tunaman
07-06-2006, 07:23 PM
With all relationships its 50/50,we share our lives together,and she has her bingo and shopping and I have my fishing and remotecontrall duty.
<footy>and I hope your misses dont read this,because I think some
of you wont be going fishing this weekend ;D

signed tunaman :D

hussy
07-06-2006, 08:29 PM
did you know that gullible is not in the dictionary.hussy

hussy
07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
i dont have to get brownie points i can do whatever i want(she told me to say that), hussy

tunaman
07-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Hussy!

Did you know talking to your self is the first sign of maddness.

hussy
07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
just trying to add a laugh

Smailesy
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
it works both ways let her do what she likes and you do what you like somtimes you do it together treat her right and she will be there evry night i go away alot all my friends have to get browny points how sad 4 them

tunaman
07-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Know worries mate!
Tonight! I have not stopped laughing.

P/S The missus has just gone to bed.Had too stay in the good books
my self. ;D

MyEscape
08-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Well I must be just lucky, as I always take my wife with me fishing. She does get seasick if the water is a little choppy, however I'e resigned to the fact that to make us both happy I'll stick to the river and creeks in our tinny.

Don't go too often, or as often as I would like, say around ever 2-3 weekends, but if everyone is happy, I must be on a winner..

Steve

Nic
08-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Well I must be just lucky, as I always take my wife with me fishing. She does get seasick if the water is a little choppy, however I'e resigned to the fact that to make us both happy I'll stick to the river and creeks in our tinny.

Steve

I get seasick too... badly. But I've found that if I take 1 Travacalm tablet the night before and then 1 1/2 tablets 1 hour before we head offshore (and then at 5-hour intervals), I'm right as rain. Perhaps she can try it, it seems a shame for her to miss out on the good fishing further out. I weigh 60kg, she might want to take a bit more or a bit less depending on her bodyweight.

And perhaps you might accrue some brownie points if you put her onto a good reefie or two? :)

leograyson
08-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the best way to get a leave pass from she-who-must-be-obeyed.

You simply wake her at 2 or 3 am and say what about ----------------- or should I go fishing .

She will then say something like - you better take jumper it might be cold out there.

PinHead
08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Now how is this lot for a collection of brownie points

PinHead
08-06-2006, 08:18 PM
brand new kitchen going in

PinHead
08-06-2006, 08:19 PM
plus the new pergola..ignore the mess under it..appliances for the kitchen etc

PinHead
08-06-2006, 08:20 PM
and..the new bar b q...now that lot must accrue lots of brownie points

tunaman
08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Pinnhead

Your missus must think your a GOD.She is a very lucky lady.
All the best.

P/S nice BBQ

choppa
08-06-2006, 08:34 PM
i've only got 1 who must be obeyed,,,,,

and if mrs choppa wants to debate against it,,,,,,,,she's on her own!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

(love the reno pinhead,,,,,just spend more time in front of the barbie though ;)

insideout
09-06-2006, 08:16 PM
nice accrew of brownie points pinhead, but are you not worried of burning them all at once...

madman1
09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Pinhead, all those improvements must be from a good Valuation hey???

Bout time you got that kitchen in.

Call me.

Cheers

Mark

Feral
09-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah - pity she'll probably sell ya boat to pay for it all :-?

PinHead
09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
fret not feral...all the new stuff is paid for and so is the boat.,,she would not sell the boat anyway.

you will have to come over and do another Mark..and sink a few coldies.

webby
09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Crikey, Now you'll need a White Hat, to operated that thing, and White Gloves to clean it. ;D
Be calling you Snow White soon ::)
I'd have to do a heap of grovelling to get something likle that, would certainly save the trips into the scrub to cut some fire wood.
Bring it down to the River to Mud and we'll give it a real work over,. and if you come dressed for the part will make it all the better.
regads

PinHead
10-06-2006, 02:11 AM
LOL webby..I had to use a bit of psychology to get the barbie....I asked her what we were going to use to cook on while the new kitchen goes in...she gave me a blank look ( this is normal really)..so I used the opportunity to mention a new barbie and she agreed...seeing as how we have a new pergola it would be nice to have a new barbie also...never let a chance go by mate.

Now come on Webby...you would have racked up a few brownie points also by building the new fence around the Ponderosa.