PDA

View Full Version : Snagged a bank fisho , whos fault

Dodgy_Back
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
While fishing at the Tweed today I was going up the river in my little boat, not too close to the rock wall or I thought not too close when I faintly hear some bloke yell at me, turn around and a bloke waving his rod, Oh sh#t I think I snagged a luderick fisho any way kept going as I thought he broke off.

I keep thinking that his float was a long way out for a luderick fisho.
Stopped the boat to check if any line around the prop well I found a 70 gm slug and probably a full spool of 30-40 pnd line attatched to it. :o

Any way I felt bad about snagging this bloke all day and hope his rod didn't break.

But for me to snag him he must have cast right in front of me as I was traveling along .

Should boaters watch for blokes casting slugs way out to the centre of rivers or should bank fishos watch for boats when they cast ?

Mick

blaze
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
2 way street I reckon, gota look out for each other and at times its still going to happen as you found out.
cheers
blaze

sphven
09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
yeah ill agree with blaze it is a two way street but sometimes we do tend to think we own the stretch of water we r on cause we become so used to usin it, which i spose is a bit un fair but yeh u get tht lmao o well

bidkev
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Spooled a guy at the deepwater bend pontoon a few weeks back. I saw him fishing there and held back waiting for him to reel in, which he didn't. As I set off to move towards him to tell him to make way he jumped up waving his rod in the air effing and blinding.......Turns out I'd already caught his line even though I was well over 50 metres from the pontoon.

I did me best but if he's fool enough to fish from a launching pontoon, not make a move as a boat approaches and then add to that the fact that he's fishing in the middle of the channel anyway????? ::) <sigh>. I always try to do my best but sometimes some guys just hope for the best expecting things to simply work out, then they complain when they come unstuck! ::)

Took ages unwinding his line from the prop and it only had a split shot to it :o......no wonder I caught him.....his line must've been floating in that current ::)

kev

Fishin_Dan
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Did you get sick of chasing bream Mick? Wanted something with a bit more pull...! ;D

It's definately a 2 way street. We're all fisho's though, so we should be looking out for each other anyway

BrandonH
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
both pontoons at Deep water bend are marked NO FISHING now!! I can understand the one next to the ramp but the main one??

anyways been up the pine the last 2 nights and both times on the way back there has been people fishing on both of these pontoons. I think if fishing on a pontoon directly next to a ramp the land based fisho should look out for the boaties (especially if they arn't meant to be fishing there!!!!!!). but anywhere else along the river/beach should be a 2 way street.

Wednesday night when I came screaming back I didn't notice the fisho at the end of the pontoon untill I was a metre away from it!!! (Ramp light was out) this bloke didn't even have a torch on him but his line wasn't out so we had np ;)

Cheers
Brandon...

johnlikes2fish
09-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Land based fishos are a little restricted in options so I figure boats always give way to the landlocked, but common sense and manners should always prevail, I know when I've been in a boat and another boat motors through where I am casting or fishing it s....ts me no end. >:(

Feral
09-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Just bad luck, you thought you were far enough away, so you were not being inconsiderate. If your fishing a rock wall, your line should not be in the channel anyway- not if you want to catch anything.

Also its not your fault if the idiot did not lock down his reel / line as soon as he realised he was snagged, and let himself be spooled.

lucyloo
09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
watch out 4 blokes fishing with rope lmao ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:(

cuzzamundi
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
both parties are responsible. however, i do understand if landbased fishos get riled at boaties who troll up and down their only patch of fishable water, especially without a leccy. happens a bit. happened to us on the pine earlier this year one night - buncha yahoos! but thats a disfferent story.

cuzza

gropeher
09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
You obviously have the care and respect of all fishos alike. just by posting this thread, sounds like a genuine mistake, I hope the other fisho realises this, sh!t happens, we try our hardest but thats why they are called accidents, It wasnt intentional.

Cheers Ryan..

JT
09-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey Mick,

Like has been said its a two way street, but these things do happen, with tackle and rods the way they are now a days if we boaties were to make way for all land based fishos we would have a 100 metre exclusion zone on every bank and we wouldn't be able to travel up 90% of the rivers in SE Qld. We just need to be aware of each other and accept that accidents do happen.

So Mick, we know you caught a fisho, what about bream, I didn't notice a post in the reports section about your session on the Tweed today. Were things tough or are you just keeping mum about what you got :D :D

Cheers

John

roz
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
It's like most situations, where there is a conflict of interests, common sence has to prevail.

In most situations I feel the land based fisho has a better view of an approaching boat than the other way round. Nobody want line wrapped around their prop.

I was involved in this situation at Kingscliff, I was coming in from a mornings fishing, and had committed to crossing the bar. I then noticed a chap fishing from the southern wall of the creek, right at the entrance of the bar.

He didn't see the need to wind in his line and it ended up around my prop.

There was absolutely no way to avoid this man, as the channel is extremely narrow, and turning around isn't an option. To say I was livid would be an understatement.

He had plenty of choices but I had only the one.

He even had the hide to ask for his line back...not bad.

Scalem
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
It's like most situations, where there is a conflict of interests, common sence has to prevail.

In most situations I feel the land based fisho has a better view of an approaching boat than the other way round. Nobody want line wrapped around their prop.

I was involved in this situation at Kingscliff, I was coming in from a mornings fishing, and had committed to crossing the bar. I then noticed a chap fishing from the southern wall of the creek, right at the entrance of the bar.

He didn't see the need to wind in his line and it ended up around my prop.

There was absolutely no way to avoid this man, as the channel is extremely narrow, and turning around isn't an option. To say I was livid would be an understatement.

He had plenty of choices but I had only the one.

He even had the hide to ask for his line back...not bad.

Ros, that's downright dangerous in this situation IMO, and despite all of our tolerances and equal rights landbased vrs boatie, I can't imagine how I would go to find that the fishing line caused the prop seal to leak once I got out through the bar, had you have been going out instead of coming in. And really I think the boatie has enough to concentrate on, with the timing of waves etc. Any fisho with a line out close to a bar entrance should have the boats in close watch to make sure there's no line caught in your prop.

Scalem

aussiefool
10-06-2006, 06:24 AM
when I'm land based and casting lures, slugs or what ever, I will wait to a boat goes past the area I'm casting to just in case I get fouled up with the guy/gal. As to who is at fault???? both of you for not watching what is happening around you...... IMO

Aussiefool

wrip109
10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
So. many years ago in England I was in a fishing comp in a canal. The fishing was normal (lowsy) but we tried. The guy a few pegs down from me accidentally cast onto a barge which was moored on the other side of the canal. He tried to flick it off but the float was well and truly stuck(We only used size 16 hooks and half pound line)

He was almost ready to give up and lose his gear when a very nice young lady, in the smallest bikini ever, came from inside the barge and undid his line for him before throwing it back in the water.

We all sat there for a few seconds pretty well gob-smacked when, almost with one action, everybody within range cast onto the barge.

She wouldn't come out again. Rotten boaties!!

Phil