PDA

View Full Version : Boyne/Tannum Hookup-One Ticket or Two, Sir.

barradise
31-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm wondering, how many people missed out on getting an entry into the Boyne Tannum Hookup fishing comp this year?
I've heard a few complaints about the comp organisors allowing multiple tickets per person being sold at the cost of others who couldn't even get a single entry into the comp.
Is this fair when the competition is supposed to be a community and tourism based event, not a raffle.
If ticket sales are the main agender, wouldn't it be better for the organisors to sell single tickets up until the ticket closing date and then if any tickets are left over, those tickets could then be sold to ticket holders on the day of the comp by ballot or first in best dressed basis.
John.

Owen
01-06-2006, 04:14 AM
Haven't heard of that happening, but it's poor form if it is given that it has been oversubscribed for a few years that I'm aware of.
Doesn't make sense to sell multiple tickets to a single person. One person can only spend the same amount on fuel, bait, snags, beer etc.
Is this just hearsay, or is there some evidence to back it up?

cheers,
Owen

lock
01-06-2006, 05:20 AM
I lived in boyne for 2 yrs and bothe times I enterd the bloke who sold them to me said only one per person.

NEWBY
01-06-2006, 09:22 AM
John,
You can only get 1 ticket in 1 name.
EG I cannot ask for 5 tickets for Newby.
Anyone who got a ticket last year, had first dibs on this year.
An invitation was sent out to all last years entrants a week before public tickets went on sale.
I see no problem with this system personally.

NEWBY

I'm wondering, how many people missed out on getting an entry into the Boyne Tannum Hookup fishing comp this year?
I've heard a few complaints about the comp organisors allowing multiple tickets per person being sold at the cost of others who couldn't even get a single entry into the comp.
Is this fair when the competition is supposed to be a community and tourism based event, not a raffle.
If ticket sales are the main agender, wouldn't it be better for the organisors to sell single tickets up until the ticket closing date and then if any tickets are left over, those tickets could then be sold to ticket holders on the day of the comp by ballot or first in best dressed basis.
# #John.

barradise
03-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi Newby & Owen,
I happen to still have last years (2005) hookup rules and conditions leaflet and it clearly say's; No more than two entries will be accepted per person.
I also happen to have the same leaflet for all the way back to 2002 comp that says the same.
I have a couple of mates that bought two entries last year so as to give them a better chance at winning the lucky boat draw prizes.
I have not seen them over the past week to discuss if they were sent two reminders for this years event in the mail as they were given two seperate entry numbers on two seperate cards in the one name last year.
Back in the early days of the comp, I know that a person could purchase any amount of entries they liked and the rules were tightened to two entries after a bloke won the major boat prize, it is believed that this bloke bought multiple entries into the comp to provide a better chance of winning the Bajcraft plate alloy centre console boat.
In this years leaflet, I can't see any where if two entries per person are permitted or not, but that dosn't rule out those people that had two entries last year from being sent (mailed) two entry forms for this years comp.
John.

barradise
03-06-2006, 03:50 PM
An update Newby & Owen,
Just spoke with a mate who had two entries in his name last year.
He said the Hookup committee posted two entry forms again for this years comp so it looks like multiple entries into the comp are still being issued by the committee.
That's poor form considering the comp was fully sold out about a month prior to the comp commencing and people may have missed out on an entry.
John

barradise
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
:'(

Volvo
08-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Talkin about the hookup :-?, whats the chances pickin a spot fer all local auzfishers catchin up fer a beer or two thatmay be attending the main night??.
Cheers

harry_h01
08-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Volvo

Check out the going fishing section. We have a topic going there.

Harry

phatty
08-06-2006, 03:20 PM
In the rules (on the entry form) it is clearly states that there is a limit of two entries per person.. this only really occured due to a person entering around 50 times in the same name.. and ended up winning one of the tinnies. Back then there was no rules stated, a limits of entries per person.. which is why this rule came into place.

I myself think its pretty stupid.. althought the 3000 entries will still sell out in around about the same time..

matt

barradise
09-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi Matt,
I've heard your dad say on numerous occausions that the Hookup is not a raffle for the boat prizes and as you can not weigh-in multiple fish and win multiple fish cateogories under the same name, how does one explain or justify the allowance of multiple entry nominations under the same name.
The only benefit being, those people with two entries have an extra chance of winning a prize, perhaps the boats.
I think there might be a real stink if say the same person won two of the boats up for grabs on those two tickets.
Your right, it is pretty stupid considering the nominations closed all most a month prior to the comp and so many people both local and abroad had missed out on an entry.
Cheers, John.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
10-06-2006, 10:22 AM
The idea is to get in early if you want a ticket. Some people might see it as a raffle and only buy a ticket in the hope of winning. Some people would not even wet a line over the weekend.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with that and have no problem with it.

Cheers
Dave

barradise
10-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Must have two entries ha Dave, get in early or had the previllage of getting the nomination forms sent in the mail early.
Cant say I agree with you, it's either a fishing comp or it's a raffle, or is it both.
Can't say I know of any other fishing comp that sells multiple entries, dosn't seem like its in the spirit of a fishing comp. I guess i might feel different if I won the boat on my second entry number.
John.

wayneswife
11-06-2006, 02:30 PM
To some it is a fishing comp and others it's a raffle. #This is the first year I have entered and was just joining for the raffles but decided to go fishing today with my bro who is also in it. #Didn't catch any comp fish but had a good time.
If I was into the fishing side of things and missed out on a ticket because 400 of the ticket winners didn't intend getting a line wet, that would piss me off. #
So sorry if I pissed some-one off.
Should be one person, one ticket.

barradise
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Wayneswife,
It really dosn't matter if you choose to fish in a comp or not, that's your entirely choice not to compete.
A totally agree with you, it should be one person, one ticket.
A lot more people would then be able to take part in the event.
Hopefully this debate will assist the Hookup committee to reexamine the multiple ticket rule.
Regards
John.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
We didn't go in it this year, but have done for many years. We didn't get a nomination form sent to us either. I lived at the mouth of the Boyne for 6 years, right from the start of the Hook Up and have watched it grow and grow. It is an absolute credit to the committee and all involved in the organising and sponsorship. Yes it is a fishing comp, but it is also a raffle. That is why there are so many prizes drawn just on ticket number and you have to be there to collect.

As the old saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Cheers

Team Reel Nauti.

Dave :)

madmix
13-06-2006, 06:24 PM
You will never please everyone. I entered twice and have done for
many years, stil yet to win a prize, but who cares.
To some a fishing comp, to some a raffle, entering twice entitles me
to weigh in fish as two seperate entrant numbers in two different
categories each day.
And if you look at the daily best fish prizes, it is flat out covering the fuel
costs of most boats, and just a fraction of the cost of fueling up the
larger boats for a day.
I choose to enter twice and it is within the rules, I don;t nominate
every member of my family, like some people do, but again that is
there choice and again within the rules. I didn.t hear anyone in
sunday nights crowd complaining when 4 or 5 prizes went to members
of the same family.

cheers Mick

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
13-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Good on ya Madmix for being a good spirited entrant in a good spirited family comp! There are some on this thread who would do well to learn from what has been written.

Cheers
Dave

madmix
13-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks Dave.

Will be back to do it all again next year

cheers Mick

barradise
13-06-2006, 11:28 PM
What ever!