PDA

View Full Version : ANSA members

darryl_l
30-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Just wondering how many members of this site are ANSA members.

Darryl L

darryl_l
30-05-2006, 06:41 PM
BTW,

I am a member of Bundaberg Club since 1996

Darryl L

blaze
30-05-2006, 07:24 PM
ex member and run the tagging in tassie for a few years, not sure I agree with the ideals of Australia National Sportfish Association ATM.
cheers
blaze

seajay39
30-05-2006, 07:45 PM
yes,i'm a member.
mostly do i fair bit of tagging using braid.

Smailesy
30-05-2006, 08:11 PM
member since 1984 ipswich united i like alot about ansa and i dislike alot

roz
30-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Yes, I am a member, and have been so for over 15 years.

Enjoy T & R.

roz

darryl_l
30-05-2006, 09:52 PM
t & r seems to be the popular thread through ANSA members so far. I have a State Exec meeting this weekend so keep the comments comming so I can let the powers that be know which way the organization should be heading.

Darryl L

Jeremy
31-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Darryl,

I have been a member of the Brisbane Sportfishing Club for nearly 10 years now. Enjoy it alot. I personally like the concept of 'masters' fish, for setting and achieving personal goals and targetting a variety of species.

I generally support what ANSA Qld does, although in general I think there are too many divisions and too many rules - too complex. I know from personal experience how few are prepared to actually do some work on a committee, levaing alot of work to others, so congrats to the State Exec for the work they do on behalf of the members.

Jeremy

PS. there are about 6-8 members of our club who are ausfish members

gone_phishin
31-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Whole family are members of ANSA and thoroughly enjoy T & R.

I must say though, in these days of digital cameras and the web, I just can't see why we have to still have "gilled & gutted" for State titles etc.. Can this be brought up at Exec Level?

Geoff

ssbayguide
31-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi All

I was a member of ANSA for approximately 15 years and managed to acheieve a number of Masters awards. I was also a member of Sunfish (QLD) for a number of years.

I am no longer a member of either organization. My reasons for not belonging to ANSA was, from my perspective and observations, the presence of a "trophy hunter" and/or "win at all costs" attitude in at least some members. By analogy, it only takes one bad meat pie to put you off for a long time.

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion!), stringing up a shark just to win a spool of fishing line disappoints me. Similarly, consistently waiting until all other members have weighed in fish to work out which line class you need to win is another poor behaviour.

In putting this forward, I ask everyone to note that this is only my opinion and does not in any way reflect the behaviour of the majority of ANSA members Australia-wide. The rise of T&R indicates that most have moved on from from a competition mentality and back to the original guiding principles of Sport, Integrity and Conservation.

My choice was not to be associated with individuals whose behaviours could bring the whole organization into disrepute.

In regards to Sunfish, I openly applaud the work that the organization is doing on a broader level. My experience with high profile members of a particular branch of Sunfish, however, casued me again to question my association with individuals whose activities did not match the values for which they stood and pubilicy defended.

I know that Sunfish central is aware of this issue and I am considering joining another branch.

Peter R

Lundy
31-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm a member of the Gladstone Club and you won't find to many trophy hunters here. We are mainly tag and release with a big social side to our club.(currently have about 80 members)
Standard line class is 30lb braid!!. So it's Stop it, get it in, tag it and let it swim.

Cheers
Steve

elephrez1
31-05-2006, 06:06 PM
I hail from IPSWICH UNITED

NeilD
31-05-2006, 06:20 PM
I joined once in about 1987. Went to the first weekend friendly club comp and saw the comp side taken over by a few people who enjoyed boring Rays to death on cobweb line. A lot of good fish on reasonable tackle did not get a look in. I met some good blokes there and stayed in contact with them for a while but never went to another club outing

Neil

Jeremy
01-06-2006, 07:07 AM
I think it is a shame when fish which will never be eaten are weighed, but ANSA Qld is trying to overcome this problem by developing a length/weight chart so fish don't have to be weighed. Also, all ANSA Qld comps only allow for five fish to be weighed, maximum of two of any species, so this avoids the big fish kills generated by some comps.

Jeremy

gogecko
01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I looked into ANSA so tha I could start T and R, I might join by summer. I see I need to join a recognised club, to qualify for ANSA, but I dont really want to join a club and attend meetings at night.

Its a shame I cant get recognised as an Ausfish member, arent we a 'real' club?

I just want to contribute to sunfish research.

Andrew

ssbayguide
01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi All

I feel somewhat reassured by a number of comments that have been made.

Cheers

Peter R

seajay39
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
g'day gecko
if your interested in tagging but don't want to/can't join a club you should find out about becoming a queensland sportfisher have a look at www.info-fish.net and click on queensland sportfishers.

seajay39
03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
i've got to add that joining a club is a better option as it gives you the chance to meet up with other taggers.

kevy
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
left ansa when i moved to queensland, acheived my sportfishing masters, & a couple of fish of short of gamefish, haven't bothered to rejoin, been their, done that. i now fish for enjoyment . it can take a certain amount of fun out of a good days fishing, i guess it's up to the individual in what they want to do. (moved here in 1995 & never looked back.) cheers, kevy. :) :)

vanurose
04-06-2006, 05:37 AM
What does ANSA stand for?
I have never heard of it.
Thanks

Jeremy
04-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Australian National Sportfishing Association. Started in 1967 by Vic McCristal and a few others.

Jeremy

darryl_l
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Quick update.

Have now returned home from the state meeting in Townsville. We are certainly looking at the needs and wants of our members but change takes time. The more we can learn from our members the more we can suit our organization around those wants and needs. If there are specific gripes about certain issues take them up with your club committee or your adopt-a-club state exec member.

Thanks to those that have responded here all input is good input

Darryl L

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Silence is golden at times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I am still a financial member after approximately 16yrs, not active with tagging anymore, taking a back seat and watching and listening, well tuned to the bias that exists, but on a personal level still on the lookout and constantly observing our environment and learning as I go, but sometimes when we stop to smell the roses, we discover certain things that we wish we didn't!
John M

Bundy_Burp
14-06-2006, 07:17 PM
When you say ANSA i'm assuming you mean the Australian National Sportsfishing Association and NOT The Australian Nude Sailing Association either way seems to be quite a few members. ;D ;D ;D