PDA

View Full Version : Worms.....

MagicRik
15-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I want to try new baits and worm keep coming up in topics as a good bait to use.
But i would like to know witch worms are good to use. The reason for this question is that i started a worm farm last week. i started it for the herbs, chillies and plants im growing and was wondering if the compost worm are good bait?

Thanks Rik

devocean
15-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Mate I use them for whiting and have great success. I find keeping them in the dark at all times keeps them fresh

Jackinthebox
15-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Rik,

Good to hear you have started a worm farm, your plants with go bonkers over the vermicast they produce and you won't need any of that chemical based fertilizer anymore.

You should check out a very interesting book on compost worms by David Murphy, he is the Authority on the slimy little suckers. "Organic growing with worms - a handbook for a better environment"
They are amazing little buggers, most people would be very suprised to learn how useful earthworms are for our survival on this planet.

If you have "Tigers", they are no good for bait as they emit a foul tasting liquid when hooked( they evolved this defence mechanism over time as they are surface dwellers and would normally be vulnerable to birds or fish if washed into rivers)

If you have "Blues" or "African night crawlers", they are the ones to use - otherwise plain old earthworms are ok as well.

I assume you are talking about freshwater? Some people have used earthworms in salt water but I would rather use a beach or bloodworm for that!

Cheers,
Mick.

MagicRik
15-06-2006, 03:34 PM
ive just been out to find the box come in and it says compost/bait worms :-?..........and i was talking about using them for salt water. Does it make a diffrence the water?

Jackinthebox
15-06-2006, 05:23 PM
If the box says "compost/bait worms", they must be blues or night crawlers.

What the heck, give 'em a go - can't see why bream or whiting wouldn't eat 'em.

Make sure you don't use too many worms too early though, let their numbers build up a bit before you start raiding the worm farm every week!

MagicRik
15-06-2006, 05:46 PM
yeah i was going to leave the farm for about 8/10 weeks for it to settle in. and then drown some of the little suckers. If it dont work out its all good, as the farms for the garden anyway. if they are good bait for bream and whitting it win win.

MagicRik
15-06-2006, 05:50 PM
oh and to devocean the farm is in the shed so its always dark :)
And can i ask what rig do you use for your whitting