PDA

View Full Version : Springwood marine

webby
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont usually blow smoke up tackle store bums, but today Glen at Springwood Marine, at no cost to me replaced my 4-6kg two piece live fibre that broke the other week.
The new tournament live fibre they gave me is a one piece so i came out of the exchange in a better position.
They had no hesitiation in replacing it, even though i had pushed this rod past its extremes, plus the few other goodies i purchased today was given a decent discount. Thanks to being a member of Ausfish.
Since this store changed a few staff and revamped there stocks and displays, they seem to be more orientated to the avery fisho now, where as before, i very seldom ventured down there, as their prices were up there.
Thanks Glen and Springwood Marine, and if anyone else ventures down to their store, state your a member of this site, and i'm sure they'll look after you.
Thats my one and only smoke blowing praise for the year ;D
regards

charleville
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Springwood Marine is not an especially local shop to me so I have not been there for a while but their tackle area used to be a pretty pokey little area at the back of the shop. Has that changed? Is it now big enough to be called a tackle shop?

Having bought my boat there, I always get it serviced by theiur service department down at the end of the street. I am sure that there are cheaper ways of getting it serviced but they did me a favour once, knocking a ding out of the prop for free, and I always feel confident in their workmanship and explanations when I get the boat serviced so I continue to be happy with that department. :)

longtail
06-05-2006, 05:55 PM
yep , your not wrong webby ;)

springwood marine is my local , so i spend a bit of time there . glen and the guys will take of ya's . like webby said just say your a member here and mention your handle , glen will take care of the rest.

i have gotten a couple of fantastic deals from him recently , glen- still havn't found a better deal than the one you did on the baitrunner ;)

cheers
jason

Wyoming
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Webby - I thought that I was the only one with praises for Springwood Marine, and particularly for Glen (and Glen). A great store with absolutely great prices and the boys certainly recognise Ausfishers.

Glen sold me, or recommended to me, the combination of the T-Curve rod and the Daiwa Advantage when I first started my un-healthy pursuit of plastics. After that lot had a disaterous falling-of-the-overboard, I purchased anothe T-curve and a Shimano Twin-Power elsewhere. I saw Glen at the T&T show and I went back to the shop shortly afterwards and purchased another good rod, and 2 Daiwa top of the range baitcasters and Glen introduced me to the fabuluous Penn Jack Erskine braid - no more Fire Line for this boy!

They really know their stuff there, and both Glens are regular, hands-on fishos, why, they even smell a bit!

Thanks again blokes.

Neil

hussy
06-05-2006, 08:29 PM
have bought fishing gear ,and a boat from them,great service treated like i was buying a 20 footer when i was only buying a small tinny same service. keep up the good work guiys

shaman
06-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Guy's they have taken over a marine sales yard on brizzy rd labradore just up from Harbour Town. I was talking to their manager just after they opened and told him after buying my stessco from another local dealer that he's got bugger all competion down here on the Goldie. I've never had a worse buying experience in my life >:( >:(. If they treat their clientelle only half as good as the boofheads that I have dealt with on the coast they should do well. I know it's was only a tinnie purchase but what's to say I won't be chasing a cruiser next to replace my Bayliner. Anyway I spoke to s'wood marine Labrador re a Bayliner Flybridge they have in stock there and the young fella I spoke to was extremely professional and respected my opinion without p!ssing in my pocket.
I might have to stick my head in and check their tackle range. Billy

Heath
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
My dealings with Springwood marine have been nothing but great.

When I bought all my fittings & some elctronics from them about 3 year ago, they bent over backwards to help & there prices were great too.

Have bought a few bits of tackle from them as well as rods. Trav looked after me, don't know if he still works there or not. He used to frequent these forums a bit a few years back.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-05-2006, 07:17 AM
i posted a while back about their service dept doing a great job to ensure I wasn't out of pocket or inconvenienced on a Mercury warranty job that wasn't even purchased from them.

gcourt
10-05-2006, 11:13 PM
G'day All
Been a bit busy lately and only just found this thread.Thanks for the kind words,it's nice to know we are appreciated.We will always do our best to look after all of our customers,Ausfish members or not(but membership does have its privleges ;) ).For those of you not local to the Brissie area keep an eye on our website www.springwoodmarine.com.au as our online shop will be up and running in a couple of weeks or you can email me at glennc@springwoodmarine.com.au for any tackle,chandlery or electronics enquiries.
Thanks again for the support.
Cheers
Glenn Court
Tackle and Chandelry Manager
Springwood Marine

Fishin_Dan
11-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Webby - Gotta agree with you completely!

Glen - You guys certainly do a good job down there, and the few times I've been in there you have given me a good price. Even discounted products a bit when I hadn't ever mention Ausfish...

Good on you guys for supporting members! It seems your customers are happy, and that will keep you going for a very long time.

Cheers,
Dan
(P.S - Did you ever get the 6lb PE Bass Hard braid in? ;) )

charleville
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I have had a good price experience with Springwood Marine this morning. #:)

In today's junk mail was a brochure from "that sporting Mart than cannot be named on this site" saying that they were discounting Shimano reels by 20% for four days. #So I went to their Cannon Hill store at 9am today to buy a 6500b baitrunner.

Well, as luck would have it, the Cannon Hill store had no 6500B bait-runners and indeed the young sales assistant in the fishing department did not really seem to know what they were and found the only baitrunner available to be a 3500. #All of this surprised me a little as I just assumed that they would have stock out the back or somewhere there as well as what is on display.

So I asked where is the nearest other store of "that sporting Mart than cannot be named on this site" and was told that it was at Kessels Road, McGregor.

I jumped in the car to go to McGregor. Before going too far, I reasoned that it was just as easy to go to Springwood Marine via the Gateway Arterial road as having to wind through the traffic to the Kessels Road store and having remembered the testimonials on this post some time ago, thought that I would give Springwood Marine a go.

As it turned out, Springwood Marine also had signs up saying 20% off Shimano (and also Daiwa I think?) for four days.

The price I was offered delighted me and I took one home then and there.

Now, the interesting bit is that the sign at the counter at "that sporting Mart than cannot be named on this site" showed that their normal price for 6500B baitrunners was $229 #whereas the price marked on the box from Springwood Marine was $199.

Now, I shall leave it to you to do the sums about what a 20% discounted price means from each of the stores based on those marked prices but I was very happy with the Springwood Marine deal.

...and oh, as well, the guy who sold it to me was the fellow that Nugget had mentioned recently as having caught some good snapper near Harries Artificial Reef and he was very forthcoming with advice on where to go for good snapper. #He also gave some good post-purchase service, opening up the box and checking that the reel was working in its various modes before handing it over to me.

So all in all, I was quite delighted with the buying experience and the price. #Well done, Springwood Marine! #:) :) :)

gawby
11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Well then i will just have to give them a call and if they do navman they might just get my money for what i want.
Graeme :)

barradise
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Are postage and handling prices reasonable, up here in Gladstone you can almost add 20% on for the Shimano 6500B.
John

longtail
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Well then i will just have to give them a call and if they do navman they might just get my money for what i want.
Graeme :)

Graeme , yes they do stock navman gear mate. ;)

Jason

Gbanger
11-06-2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1144108449/0

was this the rod?

QUOTE "Rod is a 7'6" two piece 4-6kg Yes Live Fibre with a tss4 loaded with 10kg stern.
Was given this rod to try out and see what it could do.
Tried everything to break it, but alas it stuck together. "

mission accomplished?

ive had good luck with returning a live fibre to doug burts at labrador... no receipt, the gimble butt was faulty and they replaced it no questions asked...

left knowing id be coming back!!!

7dan7
11-06-2006, 07:12 PM
hi guys

glad to see there is still that old fashion thing called service, still available nowadays it certainly pays off for retailer + customer (everyones happy). Ive certainly noticed that these big stores are not necessarily the cheapest. IF we dont support our local guy then these large mobs we get the monopoly + dictate whatever price they want. they dont give a st**f about us

cheers dan

3Vs
12-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Have to add a good word for Glen - used to avoid Springwood due to price and service, but after being looked after well once by Glen I have gone back several times and recieved good deals and good service. I am a little poorer but will going back again. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matthill80
13-06-2006, 01:06 PM
i dont like glenn he takes all of my money ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

totally agree webby i have mentioned on this site on a previous post about their great service and good pricing so it looks like glenn wasnt brain washing me lol

hurry up and get that boat glenn so we can go jigging hehehe

cheers matt

Lobster48
13-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Guys,

I can only back you up there. They are not my local, I live in Darwin. They are the first tackle store I visit when I get to Brisbane.

Recently I bought a lot of gear for my new boat (almost ready) and found them to be excellent in price and advice. THe deal was so good I felt guilty and had to by a downrigger, tagpole adn Columbia shirts just to get over the pain of doing them out of a few dollars!

Will definately shop there again, if the wife lets me.

Lobster

Darwin

Touchy - R.I.P.
14-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I too must join in,I took a reel down there the other day that has been giving trouble re the drag system, reel was taken to bits, I was shown how to fix the prob myself & some good advice on future maint. if same prob occurs with any of my others & some cleaning tips thrown in for good measure all free of charge, Well done & Thanks. Cheers Touchy.><>

rough_shag
16-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Graeme, they had a couple of Navman 7000 models(recently superseded by the 7200) on their specials table for a really great price!! don't quote me but I think they were going for $200 with ausfish discount!!-cheap vhf eh.Jace.

3Vs
16-06-2006, 04:26 PM
20% off Daiwa this weekend - damn it. Just weakened and bought a Kix 400 (for a very good price).

charleville
17-06-2006, 11:50 AM
It is not that related to their tackle shop but I would also like to put in a plug for their service department down the road as well. #

I had my boat serviced there this week. #It cost me a small fortune because my 4 stroke merc was starting to run a little rough at idle so they had to pull down the carbys and do a fair amount of work, for which they kept me informed along the way on the likely manhours etc. #I did not ask them to do this work but they suggested it after running the motor and noticing the rough idling and a dead spot in acceleration. #I had noticed these problems a little bit but when you are using a boat all of the time, these little matters just start to creep up gradually and you don't really notice a step change in performance.

However, the end result was very good but what I really appreciated was the little extra bits of care that they gave - eg the prop edges were a bit rough from where I had backed into a concrete ramp recently to avoid a fisher (DOH! #:-[) and I noticed after the service that they had been filed off just like the experts all say should be done and the little bit of rust marks around the hydraulic lift mechanism had been touched up with black so as to make the appearance much better. Also I am a bit rough when I grease things every couple of trips and they had cleaned up the excess grease pretty well so all in all the boat was looking much cleaner than when I had taken it in.

I never think that Springwood Marine's service dept is cheap but I don't care as I always have the feeling that they are looking after my best interests whever I take my boat to them and I have concluded that when I am out in the bay on my own at night, I just ain't taking chances in respect of the seaworthiness of the boat and reliability of the motor.

So I suspect that the ethos across the various elements of the Springwood Marine business is one of giving good service.

DaneCross
17-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd love to add my own bit here, but couldn't say it better than 3Vs...

Have to add a good word for Glen - used to avoid Springwood due to price and service, but after being looked after well once by Glen I have gone back several times and recieved good deals and good service. I am a little poorer but will going back again. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Dane