PDA

View Full Version : illegal fisho's now under fire,,,,

choppa
16-06-2006, 08:11 PM
an interesting report floated across my desk today,,, lengthy in topic,, but a few changes seem to be AT LONG LAST implemented,,,

the only query now,,, is when/where is victim 1???????

(this'll get moved soon,,, but i thought after all the recent post's re """#2$&88 effects"",, well ??????)

Senate passes tough new illegal fishers legislation
DAFF06/064A 16 June 2006

Last night, the Senate passed Howard Government legislation that will see illegal foreign fishers jailed if they are caught in our territorial waters.

“This bill allows for jail terms of up to two or three years, depending on size of the vessel illegal fishers are using, as well as substantial fines of up to $825,000, or both, for those caught illegally fishing in our territorial waters,” the Minister said.

“These new penalties are among the toughest in the world, and are an important part of the Government’s new $500 million ‘get-tough’ measures in its fight against illegal foreign fishing.

“This legislation sends a clear message that we are absolutely serious about protecting our fish stocks and our borders from illegal foreign fishers.”
Further inquiries:
Senator Abetz’s office: Brad Stansfield 0419 884 666

at first i thought,,,, yeh 'bout time,,,,,, then i realised the attachments were also relevant,,

Disposal of illegal foreign fishing vessels tender

Tender for the provision of caretaking and disposal services for illegal foreign fishing vessels to the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA)

AFMA invites persons with relevant expertise to submit tenders for:

1. Mooring and maintenance services for illegal foreign fishing vessels, and / or
2. The disposal of illegal foreign fishing vessels that have been forfeited to the Commonwealth.

AFMA is seeking providers for one or both of these services in Broome (WA), Darwin (NT), Gove (Nhulunbuy, NT) and in the Torres Strait (QLD).

this tender,,,,,apparently was opened and closed,,,,,,TODAY,,,,,,,

with another attachment that reads

Tenders

We currently have two tenders processes open:

1. Tender for the provision of caretaking and disposal services for illegal foreign fishing vessels to the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) .

All prospective tenderers must register with Ben Pye on (02) 6272 5063 or email ben.pye@afma.gov.au in the first instance. This tender closes at 5:00pm on 16 June 2006. AFMA expects the Service Provider/s to be operational within eight (8) weeks of AFMA announcing the successful tender.

all in all,,, a positive move,,, we just need a judicial system to follow through,,,

this comes about in my belief after all the heated topics (that are still current) in relation to the $5 slap on the wrist and we'll fly you home affair,,,, not to mention the last sham re the refridgeration disgrace in the NT

Jackinthebox
16-06-2006, 09:08 PM
There's gonna be plenty more artificial reefs around the top end soon!

nigelr
17-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the good news Choppa.
As you say, bring on the first prosecutions!
Some consistency from the presiding magistrates in handing down sentences appropriate under the new legislation will be keenly anticipated!
Those new artificial reefs sound good also!
Bring it on!
Regards Nigel.

gawby
17-06-2006, 03:57 PM
SHOOT ALL FERALS

Feral
17-06-2006, 04:01 PM
SHOOT ALL FERALS

Hey! :'(

gawby
17-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Woops, sorry feral we will leave you alone and go for the rest. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Graeme ;)

longtail
17-06-2006, 07:38 PM
There's gonna be plenty more artificial reefs around the top end soon!

the curtin could do with some freshening up too ;) ;)

choppa
17-06-2006, 09:00 PM
SHOOT ALL FERALS

Hey! #:'(

;D ;D ;D,,,, well done,,,,

on a more informative note,,,, i thought the following may be of interest to some,,, especially after reading the amount of responses to to a couple of posts recently posted,,,,

this is also current edition,,,,

Fishing message takes to the streets
Newsletter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QBFP district officer Jason Smith on his rounds in the new Fishwatch car Recreational fishing rules are hitting the streets with a new Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) marked car making an appearance on the Gold Coast this month.

The car aims to promote responsible recreational fishing and features the Fishwatch phone number - 1800 017 116 - encouraging members of the public to report suspected illegal fishing activities.

Fishing is a way of life for many Queenslanders with more than 700 000 recreational fishers taking to the water each year.

Fisheries rules and regulations are in place so that recreational anglers only take what they need and our resource remains sustainable for future generations to enjoy.

The new vehicle also features the DPI&F Fishweb site - www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb - to remind anglers to download the latest rules and regulations before they head out.

As an alternative to downloading the rules from the DPI&F Fishweb site, anglers can also contact the DPI&F on 13 25 23.

The new car will be trialled in various locations over the next few months to determine whether DPI&F implement similar vehicles elsewhere in the State.

again,,, even though its only one car,,,, its well sign posted,,,, and the above no may be worthwhile logging into our mobiles as a reference

choppa
17-06-2006, 09:19 PM
something else that was attached and not read in its entirety until this arvo,,,

(now wheres that thread on $#22# effects gone to again?????

Communities to take tougher stance on illegal fishing
News release | 13 June, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regional communities are being urged to take a tougher stance on illegal fishing or risk loosing the economic benefits recreational fishers bring to local areas.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Senior Fisheries Management Officer Anita Wohlsen is encouraging local community groups to help raise awareness of the use of illegal fishing apparatus which is threatening local fisheries resources.

"Recreational freshwater fishing rules including bag limits, size limits, closed seasons and the apparatus that can be used are designed to protect Queensland's valuable freshwater fisheries and to provide all sectors of the community with equal access to these resources," Ms Wohlsen said.

"The use of illegal fishing apparatus such as nets and fish traps is a common offence in rural communities and one which DPI&F is keen to reduce.

"Anglers suspected of not following the rules must be reported immediately to the DPI&F on the Fishwatch Hotline on 1800 171 116.

"People who continue to break the rules may cause irreversible damage to our fisheries. The impacts of illegal fishing practices can be widespread and not only affect fish, but also other aquatic animals.

"During this time of drought, fish stocks are already under pressure and illegal fishing adds to this."

Freshwater Management Advisory Committee Chair Alan Keates said illegal angling can affect the availability of local fisheries resources for other community members and reduce the potential for economic flow-on benefits from recreational fishing in the region

"If allowed to continue, these illegal activities will not only have an impact on the native fish population but will also lead to the loss of economic benefits to communities.

"The importance of recreational fishing should not be underestimated. Recreational fishing brings many benefits to local regional communities. However, the sustainability of these fisheries resources is under threat from illegal fishing activities."

For information on the recreational fishing rules and regulations visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb or contact the DPI&F Call Centre on 13 25 23.

Media contact: Kirsten Phillips, +61 7 3224 7757
kirsten.phillips@dpi.qld.gov.au

ahhh i hear you say,,,,thats freshwater,,,,,,,,

wait theres more

choppa
17-06-2006, 09:44 PM
now this is related to salt,,,,,,,,,,

Hotline helps hook illegal fishing
Newsletter

The DPI&F Fishwatch Hotline has been kept busy with an average of 45 calls per month recorded so far this year.

The Fishwatch Hotline was created by the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) so the general public could report suspected unlawful fishing activities directly to officers. People who ring the hotline are directed to QBFP officers in the area where the alleged activity is taking place, meaning a faster response time and allowing callers to speak to an officer with local knowledge of the area.

Calls to the hotline have helped the patrol intercept people involved in illegal fishing activity. For example, a call made earlier this year by a concerned citizen resulted in a man being fined $1300 for illegal netting.

You can help the QBFP protect Queensland's fisheries resources by calling the hotline if you suspect illegal fishing activity.

Unlawful activities include:

unlawful use of nets
fishing in closed waters
fishing in closed seasons
taking female crabs (jennies)
taking undersized fish
exceeding specified bag limits on fish
using excess numbers of crab pots/dillies
destroying or disturbing marine habitats
interfering with other people's crab pots/dillies or other fishing apparatus
taking oysters from licensed oyster areas
interfering with aquaculture stock or equipment
stealing, destroying or damaging aquaculture stock.
If you see or have any information on fishing activities that you suspect are unlawful, record the following information:

the date, time and location of the activity
the registration number and description of any vehicle involved
the registration number and description of any vessel involved
details of any person involved
a description of the activity (e.g. setting large numbers of crab pots, netting the local creek on low tides).
Remember for your own safety do not approach people who you suspect are fishing illegally.

Ring the 24-hour Fishwatch Hotline on 1800 017 116 (freecall within Queensland).

The Fishwatch Hotline is a great example of the community working with the QBFP to protect Queensland's fisheries resources.

this is what made me wonder why there was so many responses to the above posts,,, with members stating that they saw this and they saw that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;) ;) ;)

if anyone wants the contact details to receive the above info,,, on a regular and FREE basis,,, let me know,,,,,,

(it'll be interesting to count the no's,,, thats why i didn't post it) ::) ::) ::)

Jackinthebox
17-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey Choppa,

I'd like to get the details off you please.

I took part in last year's DPI recfish survey where over a thousand recfishers in QLD recorded all the details of every trip such as location, techniques used, fish caught/released, and most importantly of all - all fishing related expenditure for the year(including bait, tackle, rods, reels, boats, servicing, food, petrol, etc.)

It added up to a fair whack of money for the year pumped into the local economy with not too many fish being taken either(eg: one good fish per trip for every 5 or 10 released)

I think DPI is starting to realise how many $$$$$$ we contribute and only good can come from it I guess?

P.S - I also was one of the people that responded to the flatty slot limit size public input request which amazingly ended up happening.

Also, they asked if I had any other comments about the fishery and I responded energetically regarding the ring netting issue as I had gotten sick of catching no spotties trip after trip after trip!(This was in early 2004) Surprise, Surprise! A lot of other fishos must have said the same thing because out of the blue, they came out and banned ring netting for these fantastic fish and now the spotties are starting to come back. 5 spotties per person is also sensible since one decent spottie usually feeds about 8 people!

So keep beating the drum if you care about our fishery, sometimes things happen! [smiley=smash.gif]

Cheers,
Mick.