PDA

View Full Version : fuel mileage

outsiderskip
16-06-2006, 07:25 AM
hi guys
has anyone noticed they are not getting the mileage out of their tank like they used to.Had tune up done thinking i had a problem ,mechanic advised me it all the crap they put into fuel there days.Has anyone else noticed this

cheers pete

TheSaint
16-06-2006, 08:24 AM
No.. I get really good fuel ecomony out of my car but i do use the highest octane (Optimax-98 ron)& only Shell fuels. By paying that little bit extra each week which is only $5 (50L) I get extra 100kms a tank! If i was using normal unleaded (91 ron) it would cost me extra $5 on top of what i already pay to go the same kms..

So maybe change you grade of fuel you use & stick with one Oil company where you buy it from??

StevenM
16-06-2006, 03:59 PM
As The Saint said, use high octane and you will notice the difference and the cost is nothing to worry about.

Also I tend to use only Shell and Caltex.

Cheers

Steven

Chimo
16-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Can you use Hi octane in say 115 HP outboards and would you get similar results?

Thanks Chimo

sid_fishes
17-06-2006, 07:38 AM
what iv,e noticed over the last couple of tanks in the rodeo is i,m getting better mileage than before and thats on regular unleaded, and i only use shell cheers ian

TheSaint
17-06-2006, 09:00 AM
what iv,e noticed over the last couple of tanks in the rodeo is i,m getting better mileage than before #and thats on regular unleaded, and i only use shell # #cheers # ian

Shell has a new fomula they use now to make their unleaded so you get extra kms..

outsiderskip
17-06-2006, 09:49 AM
just put some opyimas in
see what happens

pete

Bundy_Burp
17-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Not wanting to burst anyones bubble but using a higher octane fuel than recommended for your vehicle can lead to the early failure of your catalytic converter due to the exaust gases being hotter than recommended for your vehicle . Sensors can also fail my workplace experimented with the higher octane fuel and burnt out 6 catalytic converters out a fleet of 13 vehicles also had 4 senors fail all of which was traced back to the fuel we now run the recommended fuel and have had no problems since .
I have no idea what the higher octane fuel would do to a outboard motor .
But I dont think I'll experimenet with my outboard .

Feral
17-06-2006, 04:02 PM
If your using an ethanol blend expect your fuel economy to drop off as well.

Feral
17-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Not wanting to burst anyones bubble but using a higher octane fuel than recommended for your vehicle can lead to the early failure of your catalytic converter due to the exaust gases being hotter than recommended for your vehicle .

Thats not an issue unless they start annual emission testing is it?

Bundy_Burp
17-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Ah feral if your catalytic converter collapses like one of the ones at work did it will block off your exaust system then you and your vehicle wont go anywhere but I suppose you wont have to worry about what fuel you use either will you .
P.S. All queensland transport inspection vehicles carry emission testing units .

Cheech
18-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I tried high octane in my AU falcon once. Had way worse economy and noticed a drop in power. I have a mate that did the same thing and had the same result. I don't know technically why as I would have thought that newish fords would be able to use it, but I do know the result in my car, so standard for me.

Feral
18-06-2006, 10:56 AM
All queensland transport inspection vehicles carry emission testing units .

Yeah but you dont have to pass! ;D