PDA

View Full Version : ~ Occupations ~

TinarooTriumph
07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Howdy.

Occupations - What do you do for a living? And how do you find the time to fish? (if you fish at all...).

Im still puzzled at what proffession i will get myself into after school - give me a few months and i think i will have made my choice. Something to do with fishing would be a gold. I still pi$$ the parents off everytime i get asked at a party or where-ever - 'Theo, what do you want to do when your out of school'. My answer... 'Fishing comps'. #;D . I get a clout around the ears everytime i say it #;D

Anyway im not going to use your answers as idea's for what i want to be when im out of 'jail'. Mearly i just want to see how you get time to fish and what job you have...

Cheers.

Theo 8-)

lippa
07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
mate, if ya don't wanna go to uni and smoke joints and protest about crap, become a tradesman, doesn't matter which one, i'm sure i can speak on most tradies behalf when i say the work can be lucrative. but its also bloody hard work. do the hard yards whilst ya young, and you will start to reap the rewards in ya mid 20's.

cheers

lippa

choppa
07-06-2006, 08:23 PM
theo,,,, have a search under ""whats your bread n butter???"" posted by,,,umm,,,,,oh yeh me....

some interesting occupations came back mate,,,,,

oh,,, if you happen to go to jail,,,,,,say hi to pete in 16 for me,,,nice bloke,,,pity about his bad habit though ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lippa
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
don't worry about choppa's weird sense a humour mate! ;) that's what the car industry does to people! ;D ;D ;D hey chop?

cheers

lippa

Smailesy
07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
theo im a glazier i work on my own i work around 3 days a week long weekend evry week unless its bad weather get a trade

barradise
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Try being an airline pilot, once you go over your flying hours its all cream on the beach.

Dannyboy
07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Mate do what you like, but like doing it! Don't work at a job because you need a job get a job you will like doing. I work a in a winery as the manager and love it! 3 days a week!

bidkev
07-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm with lippa mate. If I had my time to live again I'd go for the trade.........if you wanna work in a different field and you've got the wherewithall to do it, then go for it but I read recently that Oz millionaires comprise in the main of the self employed in building or allied trades.

One of my sons is trying to get over here and he's a computer whizz.....networks 1600 computers and is in charge of security........for what? Plumbers are top of the skills list :o ::) That's gotta indicate where the security and money is....as long as the building boom lasts anyway.

I'm actually lying to you though mate............I wouldn't chase the money.....I've had it and I've blown it, and what I didn't blow the first missus took anyway. It never gave me happiness or security because I always had a need for something else without knowing what that was. I'm still not sure and now it's too late, although I have an idea that I would've liked to teach to the disadvantaged.

Can't offer you anything concrete other than to say a great deal of your life is spent working so just be sure that you're going to enjoy what you do and if you don't enjoy it, does it afford you enough financial rewards to get out of it as soon as you see fit?

kev

B00NY
07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
G'day all i,m an apprentice mechanic and im hangen to get back to work ive been off since the 14 of feb due to my ankle and MTAQ said im not allowed to do anything regaurding my apprenticeship as im on workcover and the bigest spew is. :-/Im on cruches and not able to go fish, so my fix is the fishing sites to see whats being caught out in the bay and a mate i go fishing with is waiting for me to start walking again so we can get back onto the water in his boat. S i say to ya Theo go for a trade that suits you and dont let the job rule you.

cheers
David ;D

blaze
07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
the advice of enjoy what earns your money is good but remember 90% of people dont.
done a trade myself made no money while my mates worked as labourers and earnt double the money and by the time I moved up the ranks so had they.
The advice I have passed on to my kids is just follow your dreams, if that leads to a life of wealth, so be it, but if it leads to a life of adventure and a financual struggle, so be it.
The life time is full of decisions, some you will make right and some wrong, learn by both.
what I do or have done

mechanic by trade (went on to self employment in that area)
operated my own print shop (didnt even know what a offset press was when I brought it)
signwriting and screen printing business
building repairs and maintance (houses to cowsheds)
Digital Cataloging (digi pics to cd)
Repaired a few boats
Installing pay tv
Little venture called Tassie Boat Props
Herd testing cow milk
lots of other bits and pieces along the way
These days at 45 if I have to work more than 20hrs a week I get a bit shirdy as to me now its about lifestyle and not dollars
Not much help to you Theo but thats my lot
cheers
blaze

lock
08-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Sparky mate . I started to study but left to get a trade with full intentions to return and finish my degree. I better hurry up and go back other wise i will be due to retire. ;D

Feral
08-06-2006, 05:09 AM
I work road construction, and I agree, get a trade behind you, but dont work for someone else there is no money in that.

Once you have your trade behind you then you can become a "rip off small businessmen" and then the money starts rolling in! You can charge $100 an hour for doing what a boss would pay you $20 an hour to do.

StevenM
08-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Theo, do what you want to do. You have to be happy going to work as you are going to do it for a bloody long time. School is nothing....10-12 years is something that you sort of remember.

Do a trade is my approach and I would say be a lecky or a plumber. Really only need a few tools and and after a couple of years past your time should be able to do it for your self and make a motsza.

Cheers

Steven

karana
08-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Consultant: International Marketing.

Always carry a four piece 7/8 flyrod with me that doubles as a spinning outfit. Fished in some of the wildest places on earth as well as some of the busiest.

Back home I run my data through he computer to ensure that when I go fishing I have the best chance of catching more than a cold.

Blackened
08-06-2006, 08:18 AM
G'day
I left school in '01 at the end of grade 12. Had many jobs, always been searching. Been an offshore deckhand, boat repairer, spot welder, retail and restraunt work there aswell. I strated my own business at 18, and then a second at 19. Both are thriving. I am now 21. If u wish to save yourself alot of trouble, get into some books. ALL successful people read books. I didn't read at school but now i dont stop, go and get one by robert kiyosaki called the cashflow quadrant. Rich dad poor dad is also very good from him. Here's a tip. Find out what you want out of life and include every little detail. Start with a point B in mind, then figure out what kind of vehicle you need to get you to your point B. Find someone with the lifestyle you would like and go and spend as much time with them and ask them everything and the rest is simple. Bit like goin fishing. Having a target species and then figureing out what kind of boat, tackle and bait is needed.
Dave

gawby
08-06-2006, 08:31 AM
When you see this in your rearvision mirror you will know my occupation ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WHITTO
08-06-2006, 08:46 AM
:D :DG'Day, I work for the Emergency Services which means Shift work which means Im not limited to fishing weekends (freshwater)with all sorts of Marine Terrorists,works a treat,Good luck with your choice, Whitto ;) ;)

shayned
08-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Mate,
I'm a motor vehicle broker which can be stressful and the hours can be long but that said if the desperation gets bad enough I put some lines through a section of the diary and go wet a line. Of course while thats happening no business gets done.
My suggestion is get a skill which you can sell either to an employer or customers at a good rate like plumbing ect. to fall back on. Then go chase your dream job, I believe the happiest people I have met are the ones who have turned their passion into a job.
One other bit of advice is put away 10% of your earnings now so if you spot an opportunity you will have some backing to let you have a go at it. Don't wake up one day to find you're 50 yrs old asking yourself what if I had done that. While you dont have to support a wife and kids take some risks if they are leading towards a well thought out and concrete goal. At this point in your life if you have a stumble or two you can come back easily.
I wish you every success in your journey.
Shayne D

tunaman
08-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Front end loader driver, plus 23 other skills and qualifications.
I worked for BHP for 6 years,prefab frame and trusses,state parks as park worker and much more.
Today I work part time when it suits me. GET AS MANY SKILLS AS YOU CAN , because then you can pick and choose what ever you want.
Trades are good, but remember, you will have to do the same thing for
the rest of your life.But some people like that.
I like variety.
P/S Watch out for deadend jobs!

signed tunaman :D Worked hard in my life and got all I need
so plenty time for fishing ;)

theoldlegend
08-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Small world Chop!!

I must have been across the way and two cells down from Pete in 16. Geez, he had some bad habits. ::)

TOL

Dirtysanchez
08-06-2006, 11:40 AM
G'Day Mate, I think the trade idea is solid if you can't stand the thought of Uni, god knows you can't get a tradey to turn up on time and when they do, they charge top dollar !

I've been in the electronics industry for 20 years now, I make good bucks out of it when the business is there to be had, some years 6 figures, but the unfortunate thing is a lot of companies are going offshore now for the cheap labour

Be yourself though, not what others tell you to be, I reckon I could be happier if I was a fishinig guide & making $30K a year, but the Mrs wouldn't be too stoked with all those outstanding bills

Good luck to you
:D

bdowdy
08-06-2006, 12:35 PM
:)best job is mine work 4 days and have 5 off as security for gov :-X :-X cheers bdowdy ;D ;D ;D

snappa
08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
i like
'pinhead"'s ... air conditioner....

work hard .. but have a look at his boat ...

how thats something to fish out of .... :D

BobbyJ123
08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
As tunaman said
Front end loader driver, plus 23 other skills and qualifications.
I worked for BHP for 6 years,prefab frame and trusses,state parks as park worker and much more.
Today I work part time when it suits me. GET AS MANY SKILLS AS YOU CAN , because then you can pick and choose what ever you want.
Trades are good
Then get to the Bowen coal mines........Big $$$$$$$$$ being paid for tradeys and machine operators

snasman
08-06-2006, 01:53 PM
m8 grab a trade, plumber or electrician is the best paying my advice is stay away from the automotive game unless you own your own bussiness the money is really really bad I'm a mechanic by trade so I can speak from experiance I,ve got all the tickets lpg,rwc,mod licences & the money is still cr*p,spent some time in the armed services ,worked in the mines and have had sales jobs but always have been able to come back to throwing spanners if need be .good luck Snas

tunaman
08-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Hay Bobbyj123
If I was a younger man i would be off like a flash.
Also have 5 young children. Just not possible.

signed tunaman :D

TinarooTriumph
08-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Great replies fella's! Cheers!.

Dannyboy - I use to work in a winery up here in Herberton - Pacific Blue Winery they called themselves. And before that it was WineWorks Down Under, so i know what its like to work in a winery, and i didnt mind my stint of work in it at all!.

Blaze mate sounds like you have done it all!

Gawby - Nice truck mate! 3 of my Uncles are truckies, it just runs in the family!. 2 of them drive Kenworth T950's, and my other Uncle who is now in a wheelchair sadly after a bad accident use to drive a Kenworth T404St ( i think... ), i do know my trucks quite well!. Have thought about being a truckie, but i just dont think i could manage it.

I am currently doing a Certificates 1 and 2 For Outdoor Education at school, as well as Certificates 1 and 2 in Music Industry studies. When i was making my subject selection for this year, i definetely did not want to go to Uni, there was no way in the world i was going to go - so i thought TAFE and Certificates are 'The New Way'. If i was to pursure Certificates 3 and 4 for Outdoor Ed after school at TAFE, id quite easily land myself a job at Great Adventures or BigCat tours up here in Cairns. And if i was to pursue my other certificates in the music Ind, then i would be forced to head down South and could find myself in the Music Industry!. I am always looking for work to make the $$$, but i have always told myself its no use working in a job that you dont like, even if it pays well.

If these certificates dont work, my fields of Interest would be The Outdoors, Sports, Music, Motorsport and ofcourse, Fishing. But ive got my head down and my bum up working hard at these Certificates, and if it works, then im in!.

Cheers.

Theo 8-)

MJR71
08-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Theo,
Mate I did an apprenticeship as a mechanic, then got into sales, became a sales manager doing ridiculously long hours for good money, now I work for myself driving a school bus, best thing I've ever done. Plenty of school hols to go fishing. Start at 8.00 finish at 9.00 start again at 3.00 finished by 4.00.
Remember the ear plugs though

Mark

gawby
08-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Theo,
You dont realy want to go down the path of truck driving as most of us will tell you its a dead end job.
The only promotion you get is a new truck when you wear the old one out. Thats something realy great to look forward to. Joking!!!!!!!!!!
If i could get rid of mine i would and get a job so i can stay at home and go fishing more often.
Yes you knew the trucks well.
Graeme

MattsFishing
08-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I think all the posts have had something in common and that is that you need some skills to get ahead in todays employment market. The big thing to remember though is that you get the skills to get a job. I've had a lot of friends who did arts degrees or similar and only 20% got jobs in their field. :o Bugger that!!!

I ended up doing an engineering degree and got a job at a coal mine in the Bowen Basin. It's a good job but a long way from my old fishing spot down at the pin!!! ;D ;D ;D

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. You'll go a lot further, be happier and earn a lot more $$ in the long run.

Cheera
Matty

subzero
08-06-2006, 07:46 PM
If you are going to work for yourself as a young bloke you need to be
SELF DISCIPLINED Something I was NOT >:(

When I finished my apprenticeship as a Watchmaker I started working for myself doing piece work for other shops. (Paid by the completed job's).
I was 2 doors from the pub, used to work 2-3 hours a day Mon-Thurs, earnt enough money to pay for piss for the day, then on Fridays I would have to work 5-6 hours to make enough money for piss for the weekend... GOD I HATED FRIDAY'S :o :'( (Quite frankly I needed to grow up a bit more). I gave it away after a year as I was out of control and realised it.

If you have any clues at all, what ever you decide to do, do it well, do it to the best of your ability, make something of yourself while you are young and healthy and are able to work hard and make a good name for yourself.... their are plenty of Businesman, Tradesman, Shopworkers and Labourers that take no pride in the work that they do and how they do that job at all. Doesnt matter what job you do as long as at the end of the day you can hold your hand out for the paypacket without it shaking and have the respect of those around you ;) (It's great to get a good income though)

Best of luck to you in your future... no matter what occupation you choose, the world is your oyster

Best Wishes
Lloyd

marlinqld
09-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Been a sales rep in scaffolding/ equipment hire industry for 18 years and loved it all the way.

griz066
09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Just remember 1 thing all the big bucks in the world won't make you happy.
I work in 1 of the lowest paid industry's going but me and my family are all together and happy and havin a ball.

Stuff the 12 hr shift work or 12 days on 5 off $hit I like my 38 hr week where I get to see my family.

My 2 cents worth

Fat Chilli
09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Consultant: Safety/QMS - Lead Auditor.

Also did 12 years in the Army, 3 year bumming around the globe (best thing I ever did! 8-)) and a couple of years as a company training officer.

What ever you choose, just make sure you enjoy it. If not move on.

TinarooTriumph
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Lloyd - Thanks mate, i'll be going hard at it for sure - no doubt about that.

Ive still got a little time up my sleeve to decide where i want to go and do...

TinarooTriumph 8-)

Jackinthebox
09-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Theo,

I agree with Dave, check out all of Kiyosaki's books before you commit yourself to any sort of job.

I think they'll open your eyes to some big changes a-comin' for all workers.

I've done the uni thing, the Tradie thing and am now well into the next phase - best thing you can do is keep an eye on changing patterns in society and be flexible. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that's the best way to learn.

I like the following quote " Don't think you are on the right track just because it is a well beaten path."

And to keep the QUOTE POLICE >:( happy, it is by David Holmgren.
He was the co-originator (with Bill Mollison) of Permaculture, the principles of which would solve many of our water crisis', energy crisis', resources vs environment crisis', oil crisis' etc, etc.

Good luck Theo,

Mick.

P.S - don't forget to leave time for fishin'!

gropeher
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Become a politician, you get to do stuff all, good bucks, and do what you want when you want.

Hell maybe I should have become Beatties right hand man.
Fish all day, do nothing, amd get megga bucks.

I would not recommend working for yourself, most of those in the true know how will tell you the money you actually make for the hours put in equates to about $2.25 an hour, unlesss your about to open a major bio company that has a heap of potential and you dont really need to work there, just reap the rewards.

My two bob, Invent a new product otherwise, cure cancer or bad backs and your on your way to a multi billion $ business.
I'll be the guinea pig for the bad back when you find the cure, I'll even help take some of the profits if you like!

As for me, I plan to retire at 35, thats 2.5 years away, I have started investing in different things and I'm buggered if I'm going to work till 65.
There are more important things in life, like family and fishing and holidays aroung the world!!!!

Take care and try and enjoy the ride the best you can.

Cheers Ryan..

caloundra
10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
find a job that you like in a company that you like.
as more than likely you'll be there for a loooong time

ATM I'm a truckie for a steel supplier and enjoy working there with a great crew around me :)

Daniel

PS another truck pic for you gawby ;)

ozkat
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Im a laminator, and work for Riviera. Its pretty dusty and hot most of the time but i really like it. Good company to work for (ill proberly retire there) loads of oppotunity for advancement, and i work with good blokes.... suits me fine.

ozkat
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Im a laminator, and work for Riviera. Its pretty dusty and hot most of the time but i really like it. Good company to work for (ill proberly retire there) loads of oppotunity for advancement, and i work with good blokes.... suits me fine.

MulletMan
10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Retired now (sigh) but those were the days .................

Now I'm in charge of a shopping trolley at Woolies!

PinHead
10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Retired now (sigh) but those were the days .................

Now I'm in charge of a shopping trolley at Woolies!

You are a better man than me PP. One thing I will not do is fly..I hate it.

MulletMan
10-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Pinhead, I am the worst passenger in the world!
Absolutely packing 'em every time I sit down the back.
Every bump, squeak, noise or RPM change, I break out in a cold sweat!
I know "the end" would be painless but it is the 2.35.5678 seconds in a terminal spin with no wings or on fire that really makes my bowels rumble!

gruntahunter
10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
do not ,i repeat do not buy a concrete truck

;)

Jim_Byrne
11-06-2006, 10:41 AM
The property industry is pretty profitable!

charleville
11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Pinhead, I am the worst passenger in the world!
Absolutely packing 'em every time I sit down the back.
Every bump, squeak, noise or RPM change, I break out in a cold sweat!
I know "the end" would be painless but it is the 2.35.5678 seconds in a terminal spin with no wings or on fire that really makes my bowels rumble!

;D ;D ;D #

For seven years out of my 40 year career (so far) I was an engineer, a most respectable profession. #:)

But I do a wickedly evil thing on aeroplanes sometimes when I remind fellow passengers that the bloke who designed the aeroplane that we are on only ever had to get 50% in his exams to get through the course! #;D ;D ;D

Works a treat in fully loaded lifts in high buildings as well. #;D ;D ;D

hardb8
11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Theo,
# # # # # # I've done a string of stuff,Now I'm doing a plumbing apprenticeship,I'm a 1st year at 30 years of age :-[,My late Father was a plumber his whole life,I always wanted to follow in his footsteps but I went off the rails a bit when I was young.I was in the labouring gang at the R.N.A. showgrounds when the two full time plumbers there (Leaky and S Bend) offered me the oppertunity seeing me as a wasted talent.I jumped at it,Half the battle with work is finding people you get along with,As you spend more time with them than your own family,My Dad was a great provider,I had everything I needed and alot of what I wanted,With plenty of time for his family on weekends and holidays.Your destinty awaits as did mine,The best piece of advice I can offer you which was passed from my Father to me,Is to (Take pride in your craft) and the dollars and respect will follow.This is not as common as it once was in the fast paced world that we live in today.But they're words I live by.I'm happy with the name I've been given by the guys (Stop cock) And know I'll do myself and my Father proud.

# # # # # # # # # # # # Follow your dreams. #hardb8 ;)

charleville
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm a 1st year at 30 years of age

I heard an interesting program on ABC radio recently about mature age apprenticeships. #There was a 37 year old (I think) #guy interviewed who was doing an apprenticeship. He was doing it in 2 1/2 years rather than the standard 4 years but the industry expert who was also being interviewed did say that you do need a bit of time to develop skills and that cannot be done too quickly.

Certainly the $ often favour doing an apprenticeship during which you get paid and with work available on completion rather than staying at school and uni for a few years at no pay plus incurring HECS fees. #It can take a lot of years to make up the difference.

theVan
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Nice post Hardb8....... Good luck . I wish you all the best.

I Did the Uni Thing as a younger bloke (Chemical physics and Computer science)
Got sick of having no money.

Did a bit of construction work and ended up in Real estate in the 90's.

I am now a Project Manager for a custom builder in South east Qld and Love it.
Thankfully I get good time off to wet a line and there is alway a fishin' buddy available when you work for a building company. ( I think it is nearly an employment pre requistite)

cheers all
If you want a house designed ...... or you want someone to take fishin'
I'm your man!!!
All

hardb8
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
theVan,
# # # # # # Thanks for your kind words and wishes. :)

Charlie,
# # # # # #I was offered the apprenticeship on the terms that I complete the 90 day trial and the standard four years.I had no problem agreeing to this as I think it's unfair to all those that have gone before me that have done the hard yards in all trades if I finish sooner,And I personally would like to learn the trade inside out,Plumbing,Draining and Gas fitting competently before I call myself a tradey.I am very fortunate that my employer let me stay on the money I was previously on before taking the position as an apprentice,I simply couldn't support myself and family on the standard first year wage.One of the carpenters at work a good friend of mine,Showed me his indentures which stated he'd done five years.Four as an apprentice then he was required to do one more under his teacher as a tradesman to make him back a little money for the time he (His teacher) invested teaching his student.Even at four years I've got it easy.I think I'm in a win win situation as I'd still be there labouring,But now on the same money I'm doing a trade with insentives upon completion.I'm very happy. :D

Regards hardb8 ;)

PinHead
11-06-2006, 04:46 PM
hardb8..good on ya for doing the apprenticeship..but, at the end of 4 years they give you a piece of paper stating that you are a tradesman...it takes aanother 3 or 4 years to be efficient enough to know most of the problems and tricks of the trade because that is when you make the most stuff ups when working on your own and you have to solve the problems yourself in the minimum amount of time.

PinHead
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
[quote author=ThePinkPanther link=1149673206/30#42 date=1149923478]
For seven years out of my 40 year career (so far) I was an engineer, a most respectable profession. #:)

I am glad you said that tongue in cheek...not too much respect shown for a lot of engineers these days.

Braddles
11-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey TinarooTriumph;

I wanted to wish you the best of luck with what ever you choose as a profession.

Its something I feel pretty passionate about actually - the whole ideation to be picking subjects at the age of 15 that influence (and exclude) you from certain career paths at such a relatively tender age is a scarey thing really!

I know at 15 I may have thought I was "grown up", but with the reality of hind sight, I know I wasnt and it was just through luck and caring parents I made the right choices I guess. I didnt have the personal integrety or emotional maturity to truely understand what I was deciding then, would impact on the rest of my life. I think it is a tremendous pressure for adolescents...

WHen I was 15 and in year 10, we HAD to see the school guidance officer who would "counsell" us and then help us pick our subjects based in junior school performance (schooling as a 12-15 year old)...

When I told him I wanted to be a doctor... he laughed in my face. I felt crushed... to have him laugh at me, but I just nodded and took the brouchures from him on "how to be a plasterer" and "how to be a painter" and left with my tail between my legs so to speak. I felt useless and ashamed that I was made to feel dumb, and ashamed to tell my parents / friends / family.

The reality is - how can some tosser assess your performance as a 12 - 15 year old kid and use that to speculate your abilty and apitute for a career, and to deney some kid their dreams? They Can't of course!!! But as at an impressionable age, you can easily believe it... from someone in a position you respect / trust too..

IN my case, I was to graduate school in 1994. In 1993 UQ stopped offering medicine and worked on developing what is now the national graduate medical school program.

So I chose something that was related, I could work in and be happy if I never got into medicine, and something that I thought I would enjoy.

I chose Nursing, and got in! I was sooooo excited. Three years later and I was working for tertiary children's hospital, and progressed to the role of senior nurse, and aeromedical retrieval nurse in paediatric intensive care.

I look back and think where did those 8 years go.... and what about medicine - but the reality is I had found my niche, and time has flown by. In March this year I did sit the entry exam for med school and passed it. I am now currently waiting for an offer of an interview with a medical school (so keep your fingers crossed for me)...

I am sorry its so long winded - but I just wanted to tell you - if you truely believe in something, and you really want it - you have to believe in yourself and focus on that, and never ever give up.. You will for sure hit hurdles and negativity along the way, but stay focused and you really can reach your dream - I promise..

Thats my story...

Brad.

7dan7
11-06-2006, 07:25 PM
some very good advice fellas

but unfortunately experience is the best teacher + only when you realise that you get out what you put in + you are a product of the choices that you make then you will start to make some progress. its not all about money!!!!!!!!!!! you need it in our society to survive but dont let it rule your life there is much more to it. just enjoy yourself years go by quickly.

cheers dan

mjc85
11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I finished school in 2002, worked in a Travel Agency for 9 months, then went to uni and studied Environmental Sceicne for 1 year and decided i don't like Uni, now i am working for Jim's Mowing ;D But i am on a pretty high pay rate and have been doing this for 4 months and am considering going to the coal mines soon to work for a few years and plan to come back and start work in my dad's business (as he plans to retire soon) or start my own business with the money i save from the mines (have a few ideas up my sleave).

Feral
12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I know lots of people who "go to the mines for a few years" but they get addicted to the big bucks, and never come back.

PinHead
12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
and a lot go to the mines and pee all the money up against the wall

woppa
13-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I say do what makes you happy! I was in a career i didn't enjoy so I changed... my biggest piece of advice, if you don't like what you're doing, change!

In this day and age people are expected to change careers about 7 times in their lives. So make sure you aren't doing something you are miserable with.

If you enjoy what you do, then everything else will fall around it, and that includes fishing!!

BigE
13-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Or you could get four mates share a flat on the dull and fish/surf all day ,party all night and let all of the above pay for it for ya.

if you get done for breakin any rules you can plead poor and put the bill on sper's and never have to pay it off.

Dont forget to whinge how tuff it is on the dole.

E

Craigus
13-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I am currently doing "the uni thing", My first year in Business.

I am hoping to become an accountant, yes an accountant :o :-/. I chose to do this because I enjoy "crunching numbers" and was good at it.
I would have loved to do something with sport, but there are very few jobs available in that sector. :'(

All I can say is get into something you enjoy, because you will spend most your time on the Job/studing and if you don't enjoy it life will not be too enjoyable either.

Craig

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Guys, some fantastic posts! Cheers from me to all of you!

PinkPanther was it you who was the pilot? What a job... id kill for that!

Block Exams tommorrow, and thursday, and Friday! >:( oh well, as long as i pass them im happy as larry...

Cheers once again

Theo 8-)

gforse
13-06-2006, 05:05 PM
hi go for a diesel fitter at mines 5on 5off 6wks leave this means you only work 4.5 mths a year live on the coast fishing any time u want great life garry

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Theo,
I left school without a pre-determined long term life work goal, not quite sure what to do actually as there was so much on offer and the whole world seemed 'available', so to speak. I started on offshore charter boats which led to many years of experience and tickets and sea time logged for use if required. Because of the sea experience, it gave me an opportunity to work with marine shipping pilots on a vessel transferring these pilots to and from marine ships. I have worked cattle, grown grain, sheep etc in SW Qld and experienced the western country life as I went. Unfortunately, I learnt how to fight out there too, but have never used the skill since. I have always played with video gear and cameras along the way and learnt hands on skills without doing the proper studies associated with it. Fishing tackle sales filled a part of my life for a few yrs also, amongst a few other experiences. I never wear shoes, so that has sculpted some of the directions in life that I could manage to take. I scored a job in an aluminium plant, but lasted 2 nights, the shoes were like bricks, so that ended that job.
Life will take you down many roads Theo, some roads are smooth, some bumpy. If you keep dreaming and taste testing, you will eventually discover yourself, and possibly what you may want to give in life, or in some instances, what it is you want to take from life. For me, it is giving, and time is often required to discover these answers.
Experience as much as you can in the younger years, take a ride with your mates with their work. I have been a part of commercial fishing on my own for 4 yrs, working alone on a remote island, living and breathing the bush and the salt air. I have worked with commercial hunters as an offsider, no pay, but with film and cameras rolling.
Life experiences will teach you a great deal about yourself, and when you know who you are, the road ahead can be a great deal smoother! Not everyone gets to discover themselves, some don't get the opportunities as others do. If opportunity knocks,,,,,,you must be there to open the door and let it in! Some opportunites never get offered again. Be alert, be willing, and your dreams can be lived. Bite the bullet and be brave. Nowadays I have opted to guide anglers on barra fishing trips to experience some of what life has to offer. I have the experience to share with others, and a job where I don't have to put on any shoes. You will have some special traits and abilities that can and will be brought to the surface as time moves on.
Grab the bull by the horns, you will end up where you end up!
If you aren't smiling when you wake up, change jobs until you are, and until your smiles and positive nature rubs off on others around you! The world is at your feet Theo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!
Regards,
Johnny M

TinarooTriumph
13-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Cheers mate. Some of the best adivse yet. Cant thank you enough

Theo 8-)

Relaxed
13-06-2006, 11:53 PM
G'day Theo,

What ever you choose, do it the best you can and speak your mind if you believe something is not right.

I have worked in retail, smallgoods, behind bars (alcohol bars, not steel), managed a night club #[smiley=thumbsup.gif], been a courier driver (didnt like that one, may have even picked up herd samples from Blaze :-?) was one of the first trained Maritime security officers/ Ship security officer and now at the age of 40 I am joining Tasmania police #[smiley=policeman.gif] .

Just do the best you can at any given job or study, if you like it stick with it, if you don't, learn from it and grow your skill base.

Cheers Andy

Knowledge #[smiley=scholar.gif] has never hurt anyone, combined with life experiences it is invaluable.

lucylass
14-06-2006, 12:16 AM
was a credit manager now a marina /boat hire business

logan_whiting
14-06-2006, 05:27 PM
im a appertice marine mechanic i love the job but it sux being on the water when i can't go fishing !!!!!! all well i still get out on most weekends

Lazybugger
14-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Ignore all of the above I hav the most exciting job of all, I'm a tax accountant. ;) :o ;D

Actually its not as bad as it sounds. I work for one of the worlds largest mining companies. I get to work with lots of very big numbers and as a result interesting issues. The training is far better than any company or chartered accounting firm I have worked before. I get to travel to mine sites and between cities, and countries too (although I got my job offer during the last company world tax conference and the next one is another year and half away).

Cheers

manchild
14-06-2006, 07:19 PM
SELF-UNEMPLOYED ;D
nah self-employed roofer :P
cheers
George

staggy
15-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Ok Ill chuck in my two bobs worth. Staying with the doin what you like theory. My eldest boy has been going to the gym since he was 14. At first they wernt sure if he was old enough to join. Gave him a shot at it and he has been going ever since. Came home one day and asked for $5000. No worries son and what the hell do you need 5 big ones for. He wants to go to Brisbane over the school holidays to do a course at the Australian Institute of Fitness to get qualifications as a Personal Trainer. He had to do his final school exams early so he could attend the 8 week course. School was very helpfull.
School holidays come and all his mates are partying and goin to he beach and movies and Brian is studying his butt of. Comes home at the end of the course exhausted and worried he might not pass his final exam. He passed with flying colours and was offered a casual position with a company here in town to work in with his schooling. He's as happy a pig in you know what. Cant wait to get my 5 grand back. He hopes this will lead to a better position after he builds his experience up. 17 years old and well on his way. Im very proud of him.
As for me Iv done everything the hard way and back to front. Eventually done an adult apprenticeship as a fitter/machinist. Im now employed as an on-site lineborer repairing mineing equipment. I work 60 hours a week and the money makes up for the lost time fishing.

staggy

TinarooTriumph
16-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Guys this thread has done really well. Cheers.

Ok... have any of you done any 'Station Work' out in the country? I have been asked by a few station owners around the area for work... and i am very interested. It would be a job id love to do, the country is where i want to be.

To hell with you city slickers, you can have your eagle boys, and your video 2000, and your freakin malls. Ive got what i want, and its called a real world.

Theo 8-)

Chimo
16-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Theo

Good on you for asking the question. Distill everybodys advice and then do your own thing.
Many careers ago, way back in time, I was a teacher. The best advice re schooling and life that I inherited along the way was that;
'education was what you remember after you have forgotten what you were taught'
Cramming for exams or for anything else for that matter might get you a pass or a certificate but what a lot of the wise people above have told you is so very correct. You have to do something that
-gives you some pleasure
-allows you to keep adding to your skill and knowledge base
- provides some benefit to the community
-gives you a long term, regular income both for you and so you can give your parents back their life and house, for which they will be very, very grateful (as were we all)
-save a deposit, buy a house with a shed because you have to be able to keep your boats somewhere
- put as much as you can into a well researched superannuation scheme from as young an age as you can . Who knows how things will be later in your life but the one thing you can be sure of and that is that you should be able to trust yourself to look out for you!!
With all the above in place you should be able to fit in lots of fishing...... but remember the most expensive thing you will ever buy is a divorce so leave some time to prevent that. The days that are too windy , too cold or tides are wrong or moon is will allow lots of "family' time.

Good luck

Chimo

szopen
16-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Theo,

In view of what was written in majority of the above posts my opinion might seem crazy.

Just seem though.

I know getting out of school and earning some money right now is a tempting idea, being your own man, paying your own bills, living as you choose etc.

The call of the wild is strong.

Space, country, rough life, real man world.

All great.

It might be the right choice.
It might be not.

The whole deal is that if you go for it now you will close a lot of doors for yourself in the future.

Think if there might be something you good at that you can follow and go to the uni, get a degree, get ahead of the pack while you have a chance.

The wild station life will be there in 5 or 10 years time if you choose to go this way.

If that bread will stop tasting great after few years there will be something to fall back on.

Get as much education as you can.

TinarooTriumph
16-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Very vaid point szopen. Im glad you see it that way... a helpfull opinion.

My education is much more important then where i want to be living and earning. I will now be looking at it that way... cheers.

Theo 8-)

lucylass
16-06-2006, 09:42 PM
theo,,,, have a search under ""whats your bread n butter???"" posted by,,,umm,,,,,oh yeh me....

some interesting occupations came back mate,,,,,

oh,,, if you happen to go to jail,,,,,,say hi to pete in 16 for me,,,nice bloke,,,pity about his bad habit though ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa is a professional comma maker.... (i think)

lucylass
16-06-2006, 09:49 PM
good luck by the way

i think that education is the way too go also
but starting at the bottom of most jobs teaches you invaluable lessons in life ... patience, heart, compassion and all that stuff that makes you a "person:

sorry didnt mean to sound like your mother... or older person in your life ::)

BlitzBaga
16-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I want the guys job down the coast putting sunscreen on the chics

firefish
17-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Theo,
Re: STATION WORK
I worked at Birdsville for a while about 12 years ago. I was the Barman come odd job person at the Pub. I met a lot of young blokes who were out on the stations. They loved it. But from where I was standing it was bloody hard yakka. I dont think a stint on a cattle station would do any harm and would look great on your CV. I started my education when I left school and became an apprentice Butcher. After my apprentiship I got a job as a tour Guide for an around Australia mob. I then managed a couple of butcheries before bying my own. Had that for 8 years and had a compleate change and joined the fire brigade. If you want time to fish then you may want to persue a job with the fireies. I work 2 days, 2 nights and have 4 days off. BUT................. I would look at a trade first and have something to fall back on if things dont work out in the future.
Mate the worlds our oyster (to coin a phrase). My advise to you is set your goals high and then aim higher. Good luck with what ever you do.
Schulzy
;) [smiley=fireman.gif]

GARFISH
17-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I went to uni and became an accountant..

Paid my way through UNI picking fruit. Which was good but definitely short term. Worked till 11 am, fished until dark. For approx 6 months I always had the trailer hitched to the ute, because straight after work I would go fishing.

Then when commenced working as a beanie it was fantastic cause my boss was a fisho as well and at times we would be sick!! on the same days, usually when winds were under 5 knots.
But it sounds like you have your head on and choosing something that suits you and your future

Guardian
18-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I spent 20 years on shift work with the railway. That gave me plenty of time to go fishing. Best part is you get to use the boat ramps when most other guys are at work. It has also the benefits of good salary as well.

fly_1
18-06-2006, 10:58 PM
test

fly_1
18-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I am an international bus driver!! ( pilot ) #Its a good job, apart from the long nights, and time spent away!!
Otherwise, its not to bad!!