PDA

View Full Version : 'Mosquito-Click' Gizmo or not to Gizmo??

Rhetly
15-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I am sure that over our times outdoors we have all be pestered by either mozzies, sandies or midges.
I personally get smashed by the later two and find their bites/stings alot more bothersome than mozzies a few days later.

Has anyone used or had any experience with these 'Mosquito-Click' gizmos? I think that they're a gizmo but if it works then I don't care!!

More importantly, if they do work.........is it long lasting? It's pointless finding a solution to a problem if it's just a bandaid fix and 10 mins later you have to give yourself another dose?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers, rhet

onerabbit
15-06-2006, 10:27 PM
mozzie-click???

Never heard of them.

Muzz

tunaman
15-06-2006, 10:39 PM
What about aeroguard or teatree oil.
Never heard of mozzy-click?

signed tunaman :D

Herm
16-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Hey there Rhet!

Good to see that the mozzies like someone else - I thought only bit me! ;) I suffer terribly from the bites and the end up in quite a mess.

I have seen something on ebay that was like a mozzie repellor "gizmo" and it "sounded" really good and, like you said "if it works" I would buy it in a flash! I will try and find it again and post you some details. I think that Mossops had a mozzie thing in there the other day too.

I would be interested in any suggestions of how to keep them away from me!

Janine :)

Herm
16-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi Rhet

Just found these - they might interest you!

http://www.magnatec.com.au/ecommerce.php?action=search&stk_group=&stk_category=Outdoor%20Products&keywords=&page=1#798-14

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-x-Mosquito-Repeller-NEW-electronic-mossy-protection_W0QQitemZ8825488404QQcategoryZ2020QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUNBEAM-personal-electronic-mosquito-repeller_W0QQitemZ4470144357QQcategoryZ10035QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

#

Rhetly
16-06-2006, 06:06 AM
For those of you who have not seen them

www.mosquitoclick.com

Uses piezoelectricity to stop the itch and reduce swelling............yeah maybe it does, but for how long? If it's only 10 mins then why bother, if it's half a day...........then thats useful!

I seem cynical and should just give it a go myself, but for $20...........thats nearly a carton and I wouldn't feel them after that anyway!!!

griz066
16-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Guys, get yourselfs to camping world or the like and buy a tin of BUSHMANS this seems to be the only thing that works, and I mean work, no gimick, about $20 a big tin but hey when you get to use it all cos it works it is worth it.

BUSHMANS

Dirtysanchez
16-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Yeah, mighty Bushmans is the gun
Any deterrent with DEET in it is good, but some do gooders reckon too high a concentrate of DEET isi bad for you

Personally Mozzies can carry nasty stuff like Ross River fever etc so I would place my bets with the DEET

Au-TAN also have one without DEET which seems to work and has a really good smell, which is handy if you are camping and there isn't a lot of water around for showers, or it is too cold

Who's been eating beans ? ::)

d-man
16-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I've seen one of those things - actually saw a mate use it on another bloke. :oHe said it stung worse than the mossie bite! I don't think they're mates any longer though. :-[
On the up side - it certainly took his mind off the itch! ;D

Dirtysanchez
16-06-2006, 03:32 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

snakecatcher
16-06-2006, 04:27 PM
gimmick I reckon - save your money put repellant on and wear long trousers and shirts. I know a bloke living near the maroochy river who has had pretty much all the nasties you can get from mossies - Ross River, Dengue and Barmah Forest. Having seen what these can do to you getting bitten ain't a good idea so cover up....

Dignity
16-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Go the prevention method preferably - do not use DEET on any broken skin especially if you've been sratching bites as it is likely to cause infection. Have first hand evidence of it occurring, seems worse in tropical conditions though.

sam

Rhetly
17-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I have had a fair bit of exposure to deet. When working in some south pacific islands we've had to dip our clothes in a solution of it the problem was that bad, but some guys still had skin irritations from that.
Looks like I will give these things a miss as I find the long clothes the best option used with a decent repellant.

DICER
17-06-2006, 07:38 PM
You don't want to get bitten fullstop.

Deet though it is an excellent repellent, when it is in sunlight, it's apparently carcinogenic.

The mossie-click thing looks gimicky and I would only settle for a repellent - preferably with citronella oil or tea tree oil mixed in with it.

Rhetly
17-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Dicer
My homemade solution consists of a bottle of tea tree lotion.........not oil, with a dozenish drops of pure citronella oil in it.
I find the citronella gives a good repellant and the lotion is good for any bites that might get through.

snasman
18-06-2006, 12:34 AM
I got my repellant some where off this site its about 50 /50 detol and baby oil I also put in a few drops of metho in as well put it in a spray bottle and it works a treat the only other one I ever used that was good was issued to me whilst in the army and that stuff used to keep the little buggers away real good if you could handle the stench but it did used to eat your sleeping bag :)

hogesTS
18-06-2006, 12:41 AM
a few weeks ago when i was camping at Nagi in the Torres Strait i got up in the middle of the night to get some aerogard cause a mozzie had snuck through my mozzie net. So i sprayed my self all over, in my ears, face, head, everywhere, then went to go back to bed when it started foaming up. Lets just say that Golden Canola spray is a poor mozzie repellent!! :-[ ;D ;D and a b!tch to wipe off at 2am :(

I find that tropical strength aerogard works fine for me, and if you are going to be in the one spot for a while like shore or boat fishing one of those raid mozzie protector lamps works a treat.

Sea-Dog
18-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Has anyone tried the vitamin B trick. They don't seem to like the smell that comes from your skin. Not only does it lessen the mozzie attacks, its good for you generally.

Just the recommended dose (1 or 2 tablets) per day and the bities will attack your mate, instead of you.

It also tends to counteract a lot of the effects of overindulgence in the "other vitamin b"
(spelt XXXX)

So what if you try it and it doesn't work? You'll feel better and healthier anyway, and give the mozzies a good dose of vitamin B too.

Gbanger
18-06-2006, 08:54 AM
bushmans professional actually peels paint of walls...

deet is apparently a carcinogenic

Dignity
19-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Has anyone tried the vitamin B trick. They don't seem to like the smell that comes from your skin. Not only does it lessen the mozzie attacks, its good for you generally.

Just the recommended dose (1 or 2 tablets) per day and the bities will attack your mate, instead of you.

It also tends to counteract a lot of the effects of overindulgence in the "other vitamin b"
(spelt XXXX)

So what if you try it and it doesn't work? #You'll feel better and healthier anyway, and give the mozzies a good dose of vitamin B too.

Sea Dog, you have to take it for a couple of weeks before hand before it does any good and then 1 - 2 tablets a day isn't enough. Usually you need to take enough so that when you sweat you can smell it and it isn't pleasant. The down side is a itamin imbalance which is not healthy. I also remember it had to be a particular group of vitamin "B".

sam