PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Season?

thesimmos
19-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I was doing some reading on the internet about ways to preserve fish stocks.
(Other than torpedoing some indo boats that come too far south)

On one conservation site i saw a comment that maybe we should have a fishing season just like they have Duck seasons in the USA or otherwise just periods where you shouldn't be fishing rather than having all these protected areas.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard that this was possibly going to be proposed?

wayneoro
19-06-2006, 05:15 PM
you could be first an start the ball rolling we'd all be thankful if you have any other great ideas please stick them in the proper place :-?

thesimmos
19-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I was asking if anyone had heard about it Wayne...
Being a fishing site and all...I thought this was a place to discuss these things since I wanted to know if anyone else had heard anything similar...
I did hear that there was a plan to ban barbed hooks also because of the damage they do...

Ozwald
19-06-2006, 05:47 PM
As a kid growing up in the UK I had to find something else to do between March and June as there is a close season on fishing during the spring. Memory's a bit hazy now but I think it only applied to 'coarse' fishing which covered fresh water fish part from trout and salmon, which may have had their own close season.
The reason for the close season was to give the fish a rest during the spawning period. As most of the inland freshwater systems in the UK are subject to very heavy angling pressure it gave the whole system a rest. As well as giving the fish a rest it allowed the river banks and lakesides to recover a bit and allowed the plants to get established.
Not sure that a close season is applicable to Australian waters, particularly as the majority of fishing is saltwater or esturine. The imposition of bag limits and slot sizes seems to be having the desired effect on flathead poopulations in the waters I fish. There's also a close season on Barra too so its probably more applicable to a particular species rather than a blanket ban on everything.

thesimmos
19-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah i found this info on the DPI site about closed seasons but I couldnt find anything more..

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_1203_ENA_HTML.htm

It talks about Coral fish and Barra.

Found some information on Tasmanias site... and some for a NSW site...

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/SSKA-5BN6V4?open

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/releases/fisheries/2005/6_june_05_-_trout_fishing_season_closure_reminder

choppa
19-06-2006, 07:00 PM
simmo,,,, this ""reference""" in govt has been tabled for a while,,,(last 2 yrs at least),, and yes your right it does cover a ""closed season on fishing"" the hiccup is with the GBRMPA taking on such a handful of responsability,, it cannot exclude rec and allow pro,,

if your an avid reader of govt sites on fishing,, have a squiz around the recfish,,sunfish,,ansa and a host of others,,, my recent post on ilegal fisho's now bearing the brunt came from much the same,, but i subscribe and filter out the irrelavent stuff

at the end of he day,,, to close fishing to a ""poulation of 700,000 rec fisho's"" is suicide,, whether its for a week/month

good question though,,,,,,,,,,,,

thesimmos
19-06-2006, 07:48 PM
True wouldnt be wise..

There is no threat from me since I dont catch much... I am more of a crab man myself :)

One thing that i dont like are the pros and there nets in the rivers taking all they can...

but i am sure there has been enviromental research which means the gov allows this to continue...

I hope australia looks more into Aqua culture more and reduces the need for trawling... Otherwise we will end up like some countries where they have no fishing not by choice but because there isnt any...

choppa
19-06-2006, 08:10 PM
True wouldnt be wise.. #

There is no threat from me since I dont catch much... I am more of a crab man myself :)

One thing that i dont like are the pros and there nets in the rivers taking all they can...

but i am sure there has been enviromental research which means the gov allows this to continue...

I hope australia looks more into Aqua culture more and reduces the need for trawling... Otherwise we will end up like some countries where they have no fishing not by choice but because there isnt any...

agree wholeheartedly,,,, but whether we catch 1 or 100,, its all the same,,,, c & r is becoming more and more the go,,, and its with this experience we can pass onto others,,,

(crikey,,, i'm sounding more and more like a pollie everyday ;D ;D)

ps.........luv ya avatar,,,,chop jr reckons its the ""rude boy""",,,,,i reckon its attitude,,,,,capital A :D :D :D

thesimmos
19-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Vote 1 choppa eh? :)

Haha thanx for the comment on the avatar, I found it while doing a clean of my PC the other week and conscidering I aint the greatest fisherman I didnt think I would ever have a photo worthy of posting...

Lucky_Phill
20-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Closed seasons, closed areas, bag limits, size limits have all been implimented to address the percieved decrease in certain fish stocks.

It is hoped by the recreational community at large understand that the Govt of the Day is attempting to appeaze rec fishos, but are in fact bowing to the " pro " lobby group.

Is there a definative answer ??? probably not, but I personally have seen, and others have come forward with anacdotal evidence, of the results of such new laws and regs. That is the good news.

WE all have our own views on what should and should not be done. It is important that these views are heard by the pollies. Again, we have to assemble as a group ( rec fishos ) and voice our concerns loudly enough so the people who matter can hear.

What I, and many others want, are laws and regulatory rules applied to recreational and commercial fishing, based on " independant "scientific evidence, NOT economic outcomes and hearsay. :(

Cheers Phill