PDA

View Full Version : artifical reefs

insideout
18-06-2006, 06:21 PM
hey ausfishos, if one was hypothetically going to start an artifical reef , what would not cause any ill effect to the surrounds, but make a great home for the fish?

gruntahunter
18-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I think maybe all of those japanese whaleing boats sunk to the bottom would make a great reef for OUR fish >:(

choppa
18-06-2006, 07:07 PM
if you were going to hypothetically start 1,,, after you obtained all the hypothetical paperwork, and spent a hypothetical amount of time to & fro,,, the ideal thing would be as follows,,,

not sure about the ILL EFFECT, part though

tunaman
18-06-2006, 07:08 PM
My mother inlaws car!

signed tunaman ;D

seatime
18-06-2006, 07:21 PM
When they backfilled the trench for the gas pipeline in the Timor Sea they used rocks.
Rocks hauled out in a hopper barge and dumped would be the cheapest least offensive way of creating an artificial reef. The rocks would give u somewhere to anchor a FAD also.

Dannyboy
19-06-2006, 12:12 AM
My X wife ;D ;D ;D ;D

Feral
19-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Old tyres and old car bodies have traditionally been used. Both are not exactly environmentally friendly. If done right they are not to bad.

Old warships are not to bad, they pull all the oils etc before sinking them, but the paint is still toxic for a long time.

Big boulders would be clean, but probably the heaviest most expensive option!

solwota
19-06-2006, 05:42 AM
when i lived in innisfail there where a couple of guys who would set a nally bin full of concrete and drop it on the same spot every time they went out. after a dozen trips or so they would have their own personal fad which they would use to fish for nannys(scarlet sea perch)

rando
19-06-2006, 09:26 AM
big cracked/damaged terracotta pots, get em cheap from pot places, no one wants a cracked pot

Blackened
19-06-2006, 10:46 AM
G'day
How about the people on the wrong side of the mafia? Pass some preferred GPS points off to the mafian and when it comes to the concrete shoes, off they go. You'd have a steady burley streem for a day or 2 and all the concrete shoes would have to build up after time?
Dave

Chimo
19-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Insideout

Are you talking about inland or marine sites?

Yrs ago we used large tree stumps to establish habitat / artificial reef in inland river sites with great success. Not only did the wildlife habitat and the fishing improve but in low water periods they were great at ripping the bottoms out of rowing eights!

Agree with the previous reply re the tyres but they still work well in both inland and marine sites if
1 they have holes cut to allow air to escape
2 they are well weighted eg some with a little concrete and
3 they are joined and secured to the odd concrete anchor block with polypropalene or nylon or some other non rusting or rotting material

when you have it in please pm me eastings and southings?

hope the above is of assistance

Chimo

BigE
19-06-2006, 12:38 PM
milk crates what milk crates...... ;)

seatime
19-06-2006, 01:08 PM
When they dig all these tunnels under Brisvegas there's going to be heaps of rock about.
There would sure to be a battle with the MBMPA, but rocks are pollution free. Tunnels will be dug under the river, transport by barge will be right on their doorstep. IMO it may be cheaper to carry the rock by water than by truck. They could carry it out to the paddock, somewhere agreed upon, and dump it.

Where do u reckon would be suitable in the bay for another reef, an old spoil ground or in the deepest part?

aussiefool
19-06-2006, 02:07 PM
there is always the stedy streem of Indo fishing boats or the Jap whaling ships..... the list goes on

Blackened
19-06-2006, 03:57 PM
G'day
Gelsec. For what it's worth that's a pretty damn good idea. What else would they do with it?. May be worth a few emails to relevent offices?
Dave

rando
19-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I dont think those tunnel borers leave much in the way of boulders,,,, gravel more likely

wayneoro
19-06-2006, 05:18 PM
any outboard that is black #put em where they belong # remove oil [you know they leak] don't bother taking a mark [you know how quick they'll rust out]

David_P
19-06-2006, 06:28 PM
i've often wondered about those poly traffic barriers. link a few together and sink 'em. people seem to leave 'em just lying around all over the place too, so finders keepers 'eh? 8-)

finding_time
19-06-2006, 07:32 PM
hey ausfishos, #if one was hypothetically going to start an artifical reef , what would not cause any ill effect to the surrounds, but make a great home for the fish?

Before you hypothetically start this this artifical reef it might be a good idea to find out if any VIRTUAL trawlers run over the area. It would not be good for your Hypothetical reef and all the Hypothetical hard work that went into creating it to be scooped up in a VIRTUAL trawler a couple of weeks after it was down.

Just a thought!

Ian

Smailesy
19-06-2006, 07:55 PM
my inlaws

serene_lady
19-06-2006, 09:42 PM
We were fishing on one of these hypotheticall reefs one night, anyway it was time to head for home so brother-in-law starts to pull the anchor up but seems to be having a bit of struggle so i went forward to help, just as i get there he has the first links of the chain in the bow roller and lets out a yell and let go of the rope,i ask what was wrong, he says there is a blood great sea snake wraped around the chain, so be both get on the rope and up comes a hoover washing machine, and his snake was the pump out hose of the machine wraped around the chain, anway we had a good laugh, also caught some nice fish from a spot that was virtualy flat and barren before it was a hypotheticall reef. Bob.

fishn-ads
20-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Finding-time , You might big on to something there Trawlers sink when there nets get caught on heavy things ::) 2 or 3 should make a great reef?

shayned
20-06-2006, 12:30 PM
fishn-ads, well done ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D