PDA

View Full Version : Attention Boat Owners at Fraser comp

revs57
19-06-2006, 11:06 PM
A friend of mine with another Riptide "Chill Zone 2" has had his boat stolen from his home in Runcorn last Saturday night. It seems there was a string of boat thefts on Brisbane's South side last weekend.

My mate said that when he went to the guys at Club Marine #to put his claim in they said 9 boats disappeared over the weekend. #They speculated that a syndicate has done a number having spotters collecting rego numbers at Fraser Comp, doing a revs check to get the adresses, preselling the boats in Far North Qld, WA & SA, then picking them off. #Fortunately the boat is insured, but my mate will be a landlubber 'til Dave can build him another one...all his gear is gone too

I'm posting more pics of my mates boat in Lost/Stolen so that if anyone has seen it around can give me a call.

Lock up your boats and make sure you're insured!!!

Cheers

Rhys

Angla
19-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Thankyou for that warning Rhys.

Hope they find the I^*^&(&&%*)&)(*$%#)+**'s that took these boats and give them there just desserts. Bloody piracy it is.

Angla

-spiro-
20-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Jeez Rhys thats a low act. I hope they catch these thieves and [smiley=behead.gif] When i was reading the post i thought to myself i would be safe mines not painted. All the luck to your mate in finding it and i will keep a eye out 8-)
Chris

theoldlegend
20-06-2006, 07:39 AM
That's very, very sad Rhys. Sounds like a well organised gang went there with other things on their mind apart from fishing. What a low act!! >:(

I wonder if the people who arranged to buy the boats realised if they were hot? Probably did, because the crooks wouldn't go to that trouble if they didn't have a quick and ready market for them. Unbelieveable!!

TOL

Az
20-06-2006, 10:26 AM
thanks for the heads up, will have to let my bro in law know as he was up there aswell

#@$%en mongrels!@!@!@

revs57
20-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your interest and support guys...I'll pass it all on to Christian.

He's a top bloke and it would be great to see his boat returned.

Hopefully the ausfish grapevine and network can help see this happen and track down the people responsible for all our sakes.

cheers

Rhys

Blackened
20-06-2006, 08:21 PM
G'day
Just had an idea. Would this kind of thing be at least much harder to pull off if they used that data dot technology? I've just heard alot about it and may be worth considering in the future.
Dave

Heath
20-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Bastards!

Out of interest, what anti theft devices did he have on the trailer?

SeaSaw
20-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Geez I hope they get what they deserve #>:(

Unfortantely, an unpainted boat would be easier to give a quick paint job to and it would be hard to recognise. #An if you knocked off 9 in a weekend, you could change a few engines and seats and other accessories around and it would be impossible to identify any of them. # :(

So keep an eye out for a boat with the same lines, cause it might be a different colour and have a different engine by now.

Mark

bidkev
20-06-2006, 11:34 PM
That's a bit of a bugger Rhys. Hope things move quickly for those guys

kev

lock
21-06-2006, 06:06 AM
There is no lower form of life than a theif lazzy b***ards wont earn anything on the level I had a mob fishing gear and a 25 hp yamaha out board out of my shed and my wallet off my dresser while I was asleep. I hope they catch the pr***s. I know its not as much as those boats but it kept me on the bank for a while.

griz066
21-06-2006, 06:42 AM
A$$holes should be strung up >:(

Lone_Wolf
21-06-2006, 07:30 AM
They speculated that a syndicate has done a number having spotters collecting rego numbers at Fraser Comp, doing a revs check to get the adresses, preselling the boats in Far North Qld, WA & SA, then picking them off. #Fortunately the boat is insured, but my mate will be a landlubber 'til Dave can build him another one...all his gear is gone too

Rhys,

How to hurt a man, steal his boat and stop him fishing. It looks like a great fishing rig too!

REVS does not disclose addresses of individuals. If it did, I think there would be far more of this happening not to mention car theft, stalking etc. However it seems to indicate they have a contact within the Transport/Law Enforcement system. For me that is a far more serious angle to consider.
I hope this is investigated thoroughly as these searches are definitely trackable back to an individual employee.

revs57
21-06-2006, 11:52 AM
G'day Heath,

Yeah I think Christian may have let his guard down...he was out fishing Saturday...got home late, parked it up to do it all sunday...ooops..

Not sure how data dots works Blackened...may just be info giving after the fact of theft. #Reckon a tracking devise and alarm could be worth considering. #I use a couple of wheel clamps and hitch lock with an alarm behind a very secure fence on Flamin Riptide. #but those things only really keep honest people out and perhaps make an oppuntist nick more difficult.

LW, it was the insurance bloke that said the REVS thing was their mechanism...I wonder if this info is accurate on reflection...but it apparently seems Fraser is a common recent link which suggests there is a leak somewhere.

thanks for your encouragement guys

I'll pass it on to Christian

Cheers

Rhys

Dirtysanchez
21-06-2006, 12:13 PM
There are several compaines around who do decent GPS based tracking systems nowdays for cars and they are saying the interest in boat owners is growing for obvious reasons.

Usually they are a discreet module hidden away and backed by GPRS which is packet data GSM (mobile phone) and basically they just keep telling the satellite, Here I am !! and they have a unique code allocated to them so the cops can usually end up finding the vehicle

Might be worth while looking into if anyone is interested

themisses
21-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Guys, If the common factor is the fishing comp, is it possible someone dodgy got hold of entry forms/personal info?? Do you give out boat rego etc to enter a comp?? :-? Cheers Kim.

Blackened
21-06-2006, 03:05 PM
G'day
rhys the data dot is applied by spray gun to the inside of the boat and into crevices, allowing it impossible to transform a boat with a paintjob. These show up with a black light and then the information can be scanned off of them. these are good because a positive ID on the boat is garunteed, becauyse there's literally hundreds of thousands of thse dots applied. As for the GPS tracking devices out there, the best ones i've seen are at www.ozspy.com.au The ideas with these are endless in what you can do with them. Even hook them up to the engine and what not and sms it mechanism to turn the engine off, malfunction and lock the central locking in cae of a car. The gps points are then sms'd back to the owner with a UBD grid reference. These are brilliant and well worth checking out.
Dave

revs57
21-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Interesting thought Kim, hopefully the info with comp organisers is secure...I guess investigators will cover all options.

Thanks for the insight with Data dots and other tracking devices Dave. #I'm sure gonna look into getting something to both immobilise and track my boat in the event of something like this happening

Cheers

rhys

Blackened
21-06-2006, 10:36 PM
G'day
# For those of you that are interested... www.datadotdna.com
and also http://www.ozspy.com.au/cart/products.asp?ID=482
Just for the skeptics out there, no i dont work for or recieve any monies from the above sites(although I should contact them and give them a few hints ;))
Dave

MyEscape
22-06-2006, 05:43 AM
I'd agree with Seasaw about the issue of the unpainted hull. Really easy to give it a quick paint over and even the owner might be flat out recognising it.

Maybe a paint job with the owner's choice of "personal style" might make it a little more difficult.

Then again, if we are dealing with a professional racket it's going to be impossible to trace. Obviously most fishos would have seen what professional thieves can do in the car stealing racket, changing the identity of motor vehicles, colours etc, using the same skills as these guys makes boat stealing a breeze.

Then again, we are pretty lucky in this country, drive around the neighbourhood and see how many boats are out the front of the house, not locked up etc. It makes me realise that a lot of us are pretty blasè about security.

I was in South Africa a few years ago and the security issues over there would blow most peoples' mind back here. Absolutely anything that isn't locked behind steel bars/electric fences/barbed andrazer wire (yes, really, razer wire around the tops of fences in town) is stolen.

I might have gone a little off track here, but perhaps we need to think of security a little more.

Steve

Nelster
22-06-2006, 10:26 AM
to bad they can't check and see who looked up all the info for all the boats... as it would lead back to one individual that looked up all 9 boats to get the addresses etc
they should have a log on the computer to record who looks at the info all the time.. as it would take long to narrow it down having the date of the fraser comp and time of theft .. .. bloody sucks mate .. ppl need to start putting the gps between the plats .. or in the glow or something like merc does on there cars with the gps in the paint chips...