PDA

View Full Version : Question on GC Water Restrictions

gunna
19-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I will be bringing the boat down to the Gold Coast tomorrow for a couple weeks. I was just wondering about the washing rules with the restrictions. Looking at the Council web site it seems I can bucket wash the boat and trailer ?? That right ?? What about the motor ? Can I flush with the hose and ears ??

Thanks guys.

sid_fishes
19-06-2006, 05:58 PM
from what i can figure out ,you are allowed to flush your motor only and bucket wash the boat, but if it was me do car lovers first then the motor at home later cheers ian

aussiefool
20-06-2006, 03:30 AM
sounds like the way to go would be car lovers

gunna
20-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Yep thats a choice for the boat and trailer.

But I still can't see anything on their website anything about flushing. Can any Gold Coast people tell me if its ok to use the hose and ears to flush the motor under the new restrictions please.

gif
20-06-2006, 08:37 AM
You can definitely flush the motor.

I got involved in this and in the end we got the brochure changed

download the brochure here http://www.waterforever.com.au/home/inner.asp?ID=114&pnav=68&onav=68

If you want to do the right thing - flush bags use less than half the water ( we did the tests in my yard) the bags you see for sale made by marine composites are Qld Made ( its a plug I know - I am not a share holder but teh product is good)

Bags probably give a better flush as well.

Gary

SCOTTYGC
20-06-2006, 09:15 AM
gday pete

yes you can use the hose to flush but have to bucket wash the boat

I would think you would waste more water with a bucket then you would useing a hose with a trigger gun

but i think carlovers or the like is a good option

scotty

nofrills
20-06-2006, 10:37 AM
heres my plan

im washing my motor in a bag then pumping the water from the bag with this pump set up ive made and using it to wash the boat.also buy holding my gear over the bag to wash it the excess goes back into the bag to get used again.im not sure if the pump is legal but i reccon id use much less than washing the boat with a bucket.also i can still give under the trailer a spray.

cheers scott

gunna
20-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys - thats good stuff.

Scotty - I will be down Wed - Fri for the next 6 weeks so I am leaving the boat down there. PM me if you want to catch up for a fish.

Spaniard_King
20-06-2006, 03:44 PM
no frills.. that setup is leagal..you just have to keep refilling it with buckets filled from a tap

Basically you cant use a hose attached to a tap for anything except flushing your motor

Garry

Fat Chilli
20-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I haven't opened up the link (with the flush bag) as I am currently away and limited to dial up. So if it tell me the answer to my question I apoligise.

Where do you get these flush bags, and how much for a bag to fit a 90hp?
I live on Tamborine Mountain so water saving is a must when limited to tank water all the time.

Cheers

FC

MagicRik
21-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I here people saying that the water restrictions dont apply to the sunshine coast :-? anyone know anything about that?
I see the old guys across the way waterin there grass with there hosies 24/7.
no joke i think there trying to make a swomp or somethin like that. They just stand there hose in one hand and a coffee in the other talkin to each other watering the same spot :-?

gunna
21-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Where do you get these flush bags, and how much for a bag to fit a 90hp?
I live on Tamborine Mountain so water saving is a must when limited to #tank water all the time.

Cheers

FC

I see they are advertised in Bush & Beach. I won't be home to see my copy for a couple days but perhaps someone else can give you details. Or a visit to the newsagent should fix you up.

Jackinthebox
22-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah Rik,

see the same thing here on the Goldy - old buggers doin' the swamp creation trick all the time!

They are the same ones who are packing the doctor's surgeries out to get medical exemptions allowing them to continue using a hose cause they're too old to carry buckets of water and the tv was telling us that this sector of the community should be allowed to use hoses since they are the most honest, water conscious members of our society - what a joke!

The real reason is it that they are too old to get out of their ingrained habit of pissing water all over the yard in the middle of the day( i.e mega evaporation) - a habit that's been developed over the last 40 years of unlimited water!

(I think we all would be too old to bucket the amount of water they like to use!)

One old duck across the road dobs in anyone in our street in a flash for anything e.g - parking, fences, regos, etc so I'm sure I'd get nailed in an instant if I pulled the hose out to give the boat & trailer a 1 minute spray!
Yet there she is every 2nd arvo with the hose..... psss, psss psss for over an hour - "just keep watering that big gum tree love". Since this species learnt how to flourish in this country for hundreds of thousands of years with stuff all water, I'm sure that tree is gonna fall on her house one day!

Like other fishos on this site, I hate being punished for other people's ignorance!

Would love to own a carlover's now - they're gonna make a fortune!

gif
22-06-2006, 05:35 PM
BOATCLUB News Bulletin Water Restrictions Update

Dear Gary,

As advised in our Bulletin dated 23/06/2006 and then updated on the 24/06/2006 new
Water restrictions introduced from the 13th June in the South East Qld Region will
Require the following steps in order to wash down boats and flush outboards.

1. To clean the boat and motor, wash with sponge from bucket of water. (Bucket can only be filled from a tap and not a hose)
2. To flush outboard motors connect the hose directly to the motor or via "ear muffs" and flush internal components for the manufacturers prescribed time (usually 2-3 minutes).

Further representation on behalf of the BIAQ by BOATCLUB member and BIAQ
Board Director James Cullen of Stones Corner Marine prompted the following
Response from SEQWATER:
Dear Mr Cullen
Thank you for your email directed through Brisbane City Council dated 16 June 2006 concerning the cleaning of boating equipment under level 3 water restrictions.
Under level 3 water restrictions, cleaning of boats and trailers by the owner is only permitted with buckets of water filled directly from a tap. The use of hoses for cleaning boats and trailers is prohibited.
However, the level 3 restrictions contain provisions to apply where there is a risk to health and safety. The safety provisions would apply to the proper maintenance of equipment such as boat trailers (Brakes, Springs) for safety purposes (and not the general washing of trailers). However, water efficient practices (such as high pressure cleaners) should be used and the judicious use of water should be observed at all times.
There are a number of other alternatives to clean boating equipment worth consideration including:
• Use of fixed or mobile commercial cleaning services
• Application of rust proofing paints and water proofing material
• Electronic rust protection systems.
The suitability of these and other options will depend on the individual and their needs.
Flushing of boat motors should be undertaken according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, however the owner should give consideration to using as little potable water as is practicable for the purpose, as well as the feasibility of recycling water for other purposes.
SEQWater thanks you for taking the time to write with your concerns and wishes you every success in developing cleaning solutions to support the boating community.
Regards,
Tony Goodhew
Coordinator, Regional Demand Management

SEQWATER

For more information or clarification please contact the BIAQ on 07 3899 3333, regional callers 1800 350 254.

Should you no longer wish to receive BOATCLUB News Bulletins please reply with "Cancel" as your subject.

MagicRik
23-06-2006, 08:48 AM
if you really want to get your own back on the old fart jackinthebox.
Do the walking past the house with a 5lt can of herbicide and trip over on the tree......opppppps.

For more info on Killing trees goto
http://forestry.about.com/od/silviculture/p/kill_tree_real.htm

Thanks Rik