PDA

View Full Version : WHICH PILL????

bowds13
19-06-2006, 05:52 PM
hey guys i was wonder whats the best sea sick pill u can get is. now that im on holidays im planning on getting for and doing a fair bit of fishing and i dont want to get out there and have to come back in an hour later as a result of sea sickness which has happend in the past. so what is your opion on the best pill out there

cheers bowds

Lucky_Phill
19-06-2006, 06:04 PM
This subject has been covered many times, so to sum it up.

Don't think about getting sea sick and you probably won't.

Don't get plastered the night before going out, and you won't.

Have a good breakfast, and you probably won't.

Keep your stomach occupied, and you probably won't. #( eat dry bikkies and fizzy drink ).

Keep yourself occupied and you probably won't.

But should all else fail.

There are a number of pills that should ( no gaurantee ) do the trick.

Others will post names here. #I used to get crook, but that was due to a inner ear prob. #That taken care of, I'm sweet.

Cheers # Phill

stevedemon
19-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi bowds13
keep looking in the past post on this subject but the older guy's and Gal's ;D 8-) :P :'( ;) 8-) used fresh Ginger or Ginger beer and as Phil has stated if in doubt don't drink but always have a good breakfast make sure that toast is part of that as it will make a good lining on the stamoch

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

charleville
19-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Don't think about getting sea sick and you probably won't.

Don't get plastered the night before going out, and you won't.

Have a good breakfast, and you probably won't.

Keep your stomach occupied, and you probably won't. #( eat dry bikkies and fizzy drink ).

Keep yourself occupied and you probably won't.

Now there is an interesting set of observations.

I am very uncomfortable on roller coasters, any sort of non-smooth movement in an aeroplane, and I don't take well to spinning in a circle.

However, in hindsight, those things that Phil has mentioned are all practised my me when I go boating and I have never ever been sea-sick in all of my 55 years even though I have seen a bit of rough weather in various craft now and then. Phil's "rules" must be all true. :)

In fact, I am regularly surprised about how often one of my most boating-experienced mates talks about his own sea-sickness. By comparison, the thought of getting sea-sick just never enters my mind. Perhaps there is much wisdom in Phil's first observation.

griz066
19-06-2006, 08:02 PM
QWELLS work for me mate 8-)

wayne_cook
19-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I knew a pro that only trolled for mackeral.I asked why don't u baitfish.His reply was carn't I'll get seasick.

Travel calm

Cheech
19-06-2006, 08:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago on Mythbusters they tried a number of things, and the only one that appeared to really work was ginger.

choppa
19-06-2006, 08:43 PM
i've passed on my answer to this a number of times,,,, TOMATO JUICE,,,,,

freshly squeezed is best,,,, but if not able buy the largest container affordable

drink as much as you can tolerate the night b4,,,,, and prior to setting out take another few mouthfuls,,

problem solved,,,,,,,,,,,,,

if you happen to get sick,,, your crew will think your heamorraging,,,,it'll be the fastest trip back to the ramp ever ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jackinthebox
19-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Did anyone see the mythbusters results on this one?

Ginger tablets worked just as good as the drugs on their two subjects.
The ginger has the bonus of not making u sleepy or feeling really doped out like the drugs can.
Don't know if they work for everyone.

Also, in one trial, they gave the two guys a placebo(fake tablet) and it worked on one of them but not the other.

That reminds me, we went out on a charter with Mono last May and I told one guy much the same things Phil said earlier. Well, to cut a long story short, after two hours sleep, a dozen dark & stormy's and an iced coffee and a greasy pie for breaky - that same guy popped a coupla tabs and thought she'll be right........ wrong!

They didn't get a chance to work, it all came back up 15 mins later. We'd barely left the bait grounds and started trolling. That rumbo/coffee/pie slick spread to about 30 metres wide and followed us for about 20 minutes - very entertaining! ;D ;D

land_based
19-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Vegemite toast for brekkie!! Works everytime.......or does it? I've always used travel calm and never had any dramas.

StevenM
20-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Qwells and lime cordial.

Cheers

Steven

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Sugar coated ginger lollies!

seatime
20-06-2006, 08:23 AM
If you do become sea sick you'll need something to replace the electrolytes you lose over the side. Sugary drinks and salty biscuits can help replace electrolytes, as long as they don't make you sick again.
Otherwise you can always jump in the water for a few minutes, if it's safe, getting out of the boat will settle the stomach quickly. regards

jimbamb
20-06-2006, 09:35 AM
comin home from the outer reef at townsville in really heavy seas on a big cat, the staff handed out ginger pills..
About 50% still got sick.
My missus or I didn't get sick so dont know..
I can go out 30 times and not get sick them one day i'll be as sick as a dog.
I have a chuck then go back to fishin.. works for me

dasher
20-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Avomine seems to have the least side effects for friends of mine that take em. 8-)

Big_Ren
20-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I have heard that green apples are helpful...the acidic pH of the apple helps to restore the alkali pH balance of your stomach.

Cheers
Paul

gunna
20-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Others will post names here. #I used to get crook, but that was due to a inner ear prob. #That taken care of, I'm sweet.

Cheers # Phill

Just wondering Phil - what did you do to get rid of the inner ear problem ???

snasman
20-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Qwells work for me with no side affects but gave them to a m8 of mine a while back and he literely fell asleep standing up was quite amusing for the rest of us on the boat ,but after watching myth busters a few weeks back i'll give the ginger a go .
[smiley=sick2.gif]

FishOn
20-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Used Quells for a long time. They did, however, make me a little drowsy for a while (about an 1 hr) . I tried ginger variants for a while but that did not work.

Switched to Avomine. I think they work better (for me) and they appear to have no side effects (including drowsiness).

Never take more than one and only if it looks like being a bit rougher (outside). Take one prior to getting on the boat. Never had to take any more even if out for more than a day.

Funny how this seasickness works. The sickest I have ever been was on one very calm day, no wind and glassed out.

Kind regards Trevor

mitch_05
20-06-2006, 05:01 PM
personaly think the same thing doesnt work for everyone. my mum gets sea sick and she takes a tablet called gravol. she think they are great. the bad thing is you need freinds in canada/america to get them and send them to you.

mitch

lippa
20-06-2006, 10:17 PM
learn to to tie ya knots quickly every man i've seen go down is from stuffin' around riggin' up, keep active, but don't concentrate on the one thing for too long, and don't think about being crook, or you'll be singing to the dolphins real quick. ;)

cheers

lippa

rando
21-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Choppa
LAO ....Your a cack ;D ;D ;D
I can see the look on your mates faces,,,

jack_attacks
23-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Dramamine is the best medication to take...take one table the night before, then another in the morning before heading out...