PDA

View Full Version : Whats the go With undersize Bream at the Markets

Steven78
23-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I went to the Markets today and one thing i saw was alot of under size bream. Is this normal or and i seeing things. Bag and size limits apply to everyone?

Thanks Steve

Dory4.1
23-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Steven 78

I've read on previous posts that farmed fish aren't restricted by size limits, or for that matter, by bag limits.

Rgs
Michael

MagicRik
23-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Was the same at the Fish Market in Sydney Steve. Id finish a morning season Bream fishing in Iron cove and Id go to the market and see bream half the size i just landed there for sale :(

Lucky_Phill
23-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I am unaware of Bream being farmed here ? maybe someone can enlighten me.

Further, a Bream under 23 cms ' in possession ' is illegal in Quensland, no matter if you own a fish shop or are a rec fisho or pro.

Phill

gropeher
23-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately it is becoming all too normal,
a few ago at the Birkdale Woolworths supermarket, there Pearlies, Squire and Bream, I witnessed many undersized.
NO they are not allowed to sell undersize fish.
If you wany to report them (which I suggest you should) log onto the Qld gov web site DPI website and get he phone number and report em.

Someone here will have the phone number to post if you cant find it.

Cheers Ryan..

Fishin_Dan
23-06-2006, 07:12 PM
1800017116 ;)

StevenM
23-06-2006, 07:27 PM
I think we all need to make a stand on this kind of thing, no mater if its a single guy or a retailer.

Question is what or how long before they react to a call, by the time they get there the situation may not be visable.

gif
23-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Here we go again ...

was it a year ago we went with a TV crew, hidden camera and found undersized fish 300m from the Ministers electoral offiice ?

He then organized an audit of all stores an dfound a few

If you find undersized fish - buy one measure it call fishwatch hotline and report.

Be aware that DPI staff break the law when they measure. The have a habit of pulling out the tail to make it longer. The regulations are very very clearly state that that is illegal.

Keep the receipt and take a witness.

I hear some of you saying - "i would not do that" or its not up to me"

well you are wrong - its your society you are not a visitor. So do something - but don't just whinge here but say youve done nothing.

Here endeth the lesson

( I twisted my ankle getting off my high horse)

thesimmos
23-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I saw exactly the same thing and was thinking about this myself but then I was thinking the same thing as Dory 4.1 it might have been a farmed fish I have heard they have no sizes...

BUT ITS JUST A BABYYYYYYYYY!!!

gif
23-06-2006, 08:09 PM
The idea is right

But they dont farm bream I think

Barra yes #- not cheap bream

tunaman
23-06-2006, 09:49 PM
What comming up in the nets is all small fish. there not getting chance
to size up.
Farmed Bream never heard of it!
The goverment know, they just turn a blind eye.
The old saying is! money talks and bullsh-t walks

signed tunaman :D

thesimmos
23-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah see thats the thing... they get them in the nets... not that there is probably any other way unless you farm them offshore in those big nets but aparently the sharks get in now and then...

But see if you get small ones and they are dead if they throw them over it is "kind of" a waste or should i say "is" a waste if you are a purist.

Thats why I hate catching a fish that is just undersized but because they swallowed the hook so deep it is impossible to take it out without killing them.. (it happens to all of us)

So there you are with a slightly undersized fish and all you can do is chuck it in the water cus you sure dont wanna get caught with it...

theoldlegend
24-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Ryan,

I've seen the same thing at the supermarket you're talking about.

There was a post about this sort of thing quite a few weeks ago, and somebody said that if a legal fish is caught interstate and shipped here for sale where it would be undersize, then that was OK.

I think the person was referring to some species allegedly caught in the NT where apparently there are no size limits on some, and then shipped to Qld for sale in the supermarkets.

Terrible practice if it's true.

TOL

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 08:57 AM
So if I have understood correctly if I get pulled up by DPI for a small fish just tell them I caught that one in NT? :)

spinna
24-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Have a look and make sure they are not from N.Z as their kingfish and other size limits are smaller than ours and they can sell them at the markets. Im not sure about bream. I think its wrong my self that we have size limits but yet fish that are a lot smaller than our size limits can be sold here.

#cheers spinna 8-) ;)

gruntahunter
24-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah see thats the thing... they get them in the nets... not that there is probably any other way unless you farm them offshore in those big nets but aparently the sharks get in now and then...

But see if you get small ones and they are dead if they throw them over it is "kind of" a waste or should i say "is" a waste if you are a purist.

Thats why I hate catching a fish that is just undersized but because they swallowed the hook so deep it is impossible to take it out without killing them.. (it happens to all of us)

So there you are with a slightly undersized fish and all you can do is chuck it in the water cus you sure dont wanna get caught with it...

Mate havent u ever heard of cutting the line and , heavens forbid, lose ur hook....the fish will live as it will rust in no time m8....and if the fish is dead at least it is food for the rest of the fish , not just you??:???