PDA

View Full Version : Sport or feed

LCC
21-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Guys.
Interested in who fishes for a feed ,or fish for the sport and practice catch and release?

I spent 5-6 years keeping nothing fishing only with lures but once I had children
decided I needed to get a bit of a return.( less cash)

I will keep only enough to feed me and my wife for one feed, and after catching a few Squire
it is the only fish to keep!

Let us Know where you stand!

Stephen!

going_phishin
21-06-2006, 04:07 PM
for sport I alos do it for a feed but only when we go out deep!

Archer
21-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Enough fish for one feed the rest go back. I fish for the fun of it but do enjoy a good feed of fresh fish.

Grunter71
21-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Both. We will have a fish meal 2 - 3 times a week, if we can get it. If we have caught enough for a feed, will change target to a species for a bit of fun, usually pelagics of some sort. No point going home early just because we have a feed.

themisses
21-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Enough for a feed then C&R. Fussy on sizes too. If only just legal usually goes back to be caught next time. And don't like keeping Flatties over 40-45cm, quick happy snap and back in.( Geez, I made it sound like we acually catch fish, feels like we feed them most the time) ;)

Cheers Kim.

snakecatcher
21-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Most of the time I fish for the sport although I am very happy to take enough for a feed.

JewseeTHAT
21-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Feed... C&R is no different to dog fighting, cock fighting, bull fighting or any other activity that 'torments' an animal for amusement. The day will come when the greenies have turned as much of this country into a lantana\pig\wild dog farm as they can, and will turn their attentions fully onto C&R with predictable results.

marlinqld
21-06-2006, 05:20 PM
feed for me.

i never catch em big enough for tag and release LOL

johnlikes2fish
21-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Usually catch and release, although I do occasionally take a feed and if it is a personal record it usually comes home for a photo and a meal.

markpeta
21-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Do go for sport and fun but keep them for a feed as eating fish 2-3 times a week saves a bit of money at the butcher. Which means the money I save at the butcher over 3-4 weeks can go for bait and fuel on the next trip so I try to break even if possible.

TheSaint
21-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm into Catch & release tho if my brother or friends ask me to keep anything i do so they can have a feed but it is a rare occasion i kill'n'grill..

Kiktz
21-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Always TRY and get a fresh feed..........
Not keeping more that would feed the family in one or two meals.
Targeted jack fairly heavy last summer out of the Nerang and up at Noosa didn't keep a one.

Support catch & release but like to have a feed at the same time

Aj

fishenmick
21-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Never taken a feed in around 7 years. Killed a Flathead once in the presence of my daughter and she has not allowed me to keep a fish since. But I do not care, I love fishing.

Mick

Smailesy
21-06-2006, 06:23 PM
both but my family love fresh fish so i keep enough for 2 days in the fridge

banshee
21-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Depends on what I set out to do,if I'm useing bait then any top quality fish (Pearlies,Snapper) that I can get decent fillets off are on ice for sure,but if I go jigging outside or lure casting around the creeks or eastuary everything goes back,the only exeption to this would be a realy good pearly on jig.

iank
21-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Like most replys, c&r keeping 1 or 2 for a feed for myself or friends who ask, but like banshee only keep quality (what I like).

NeilD
21-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I mainly fish for a feed and target species to suit. Any excess or non desirables go back.

Neil

hardb8
21-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I only keep a fish I'm prepared to clean,cook and consume on the same day.The majority of my fishing is C&R at about 99%.To this day I still can't bring myself to kill an Australian Bass.National treasures.

Regards hardb8 ;)

tunaman
21-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I sport fish 99% of the time. The draw for me is, to catch the biggest
fish I can on the lightest line possible. To hear the reel scream, testing
my knots and equipment, and to give the fish the bigger advantage.
MAN v FISH is what I love, and if it gets away! well its back to the drawing board.The other 1% goes for fish cocktails, and sharks the
favourite.
So light line for sport and heavy line for a feed.

signed tunaman :D

B00NY
21-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I Catch & release the family loves a feed of fresh fish so i only take what i need when i can catch it

David

el_carpo
21-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Both. Depends on species, size of the fish, population levels of type of fish in the body of water fished, pollution levels of water etc.

charleville
21-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Both.

1. #If it was just for a feed, it would be much cheaper to sell the boat and all of the fishing gear and buy fish. #However, I enjoy the exhilerating experience of being out in the elements, especially with all of the heightened impacts on one's senses that accompanies fishing at night. #Finding and catching fish appeals to the explorer in me.

2. #It seems empty to me though to catch fish and release them . #This seems contrary to man's inate #primeval survival urges. #I eat my catch. #I do release #marginally legal fish regularly but that is a luxury that accompanies an already well stocked freezer. #

3. #I also wonder about the survival rate of exhausted fish in the ocean. #The very nature of the oceans' communities suggests that the weak are sitting ducks in the food chain so I wonder whether C&R is a bit of a pointless indulgence and indeed cruel.

4. #I also see inconsistencies in that it is OK to send down livies as bait but somehow more noble to release the bigger fish that gobble them up. #Not unlike our society I guess, the big fish get all of the advantages in life.

5. #Having said all of that, I do believe that some of the fishing regulations are too generous. #For example, as tailor do not freeze well, I cannot see the point in having a bag limit of 20; 8 would seem to be plenty for me. #Similarly, since big snapper can take 20 years to get to that size, I #cannot see the sense in having the same bag limit on big snapper as on squire.

6. #Finally, I cannot, for the life of me, see any sense in catching big beautiful sharks and killing them just for the sake of it. #That is a pointless sport from my perspective.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth of philosophy.

Jeremy
22-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Feed... C&R is no different to dog fighting, cock fighting, bull fighting or any other activity that 'torments' an animal for amusement. The day will come when the greenies have turned as much of this country into a lantana\pig\wild dog farm as they can, and will turn their attentions fully onto C&R with predictable results.

That is total b/s. C&R is an important part of tag and release, which generates an incredible amount of data re fish growth rates and movement. C&R is also practiced so we can keep enjoying the sport we love while still practicing sustainable fishing. That said, it is important that we treat all fish humanely and give them a quick death if they are to be kept.

Fish are incapable of feeling pain, unlike dogs, cocks, or bulls. They simply do not have the anatomical structures to process pain. They are capable of nocioception, which is a response to noxious stimuli, but so are single celled amobae.

Charleville, there is some data available on survival rates for fish released. For flathead out of shallow water (<5m), one study found over 95% survival. Bream are also very good. Anyway, the fish has a better chance of survival in the water than in the esky!

I fish for the sport, but also enjoy a feed of fish and will keep enough fish for a feed to two when I can.

Jeremy

nigelr
22-06-2006, 08:51 AM
For the fun and food!
I wont take the boat out 'just for fun', but I'll fish the beach or river just for the
enjoyment.
Personally I don't take my fishing as a 'sport', more a beloved recreation/pastime/hobby.
When fishing at sea when I've got enough to eat for my family and maybe an extra fish for an elderly nieghbour, I'll give it away. I'm happy to leave them biting (although I will admit at times I have to force myself!) and have never taken a bag limit of any fish except school mulloway, (once!) during my 44 year fishing career.
I also try to limit my fishing sorties, if we've got a couple of feeds in the freezer I won't launch again until we need more.
I believe fish are a finite resource. Personally I try to take only what I need and the idea of sportfishing doesn't really appeal to me personally, although this winter I might give the salmon a go!
But my family and I do like to eat fish 2 or 3 times a week, and I have no problems freezing a couple of nice snapper or jew.
Cheers.

JewseeTHAT
22-06-2006, 09:14 AM
* Go right ahead believing fish don't feel pain, unless you're a fish how the hell would you truly know what they feel? Don't tell me science tells you, that's the same mob that said agent orange was harmless for years.
* The data you're so proud of is used by many, including the pros who rip the targetted species, as well as anything else unlucky enough to be in the way, out by the tonne.
*95% survival rate is a VERY generous figure, and whilst it may be true in that particular very narrow definition, it also means 5 fish in every 100 that has been caught for amusement dies as a direct result. Figures of less than 50% are also used in other narrow definitions, which are the figures that will predictably be used by said greenies.
* Don't shoot the messenger. ;D

Argle
22-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Fishing for fun and recreation while enjoying the outdoors is my main motivation. If I manage to catch myself a feed in the process then thats a bonus. Time spent on the water is relaxing and enjoyable with no pressure to "bring home a feed" I dont see a trip with no kept fish as a failed trip, far from it, just being out there is enough for me. Like i said its for fun! :)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Scottnojack
22-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I fish for sport only. I haven't kept a fish in over three years. I didn't even put a fish holding tank or live bait tank in my boat when I fitted it out. Purely lure only fishing and I tag everything I catch.

JewseeTHAT, in regards to your comment about survival rates, I have received pleasing reports of recaptures from my tag fish which means they not only survived but were willing to take lures and baits again. Sometimes with only two or three days back after being released.

What pisses me off is when I can tag a Bream that is 19 cm and it is recaptured 2 days later measuring 19 cm but the fish wasn't released. Whats the go with that. They had the decency to call and report the recapture but they still take undersized fish.

Every single fish (not vermon) I catch wears a tag and has a quick piccie and is sent back home. Each to their own though. It's what I prefer to do.

Scotty

PinHead
22-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Jeremy..as with ALL "scientific" research there is always another that disputes the first:

Read these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm
http://www.firstscience.com/site/editor/024_ramblings_05092003.asp
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3673

there are lots more like it.

personally, I prefer just spending time on the boat relaxing..if I get a fish or 2 is a bonus..it does not bother me either way..but..if I do get fish and they are legal then I eat tham.

Jeremy
22-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Pinhead, I am well aware of the arguements from both sides, as I did quite a bit of research on this recently. I am not a fish (er...duh) so no we will never know for certain, but the best data available - the anotomical facts about fish - suggest that they are incapable of feeling pain. Nevertheless, I will always treat my catch as humanely as possible.

BTW, the definition of 'sport' fishing varies tremendously. You can still be fishing for 'sport' while catching a feed. Isn't the sport side of things, simply the fun side?

Jeremy

Jeremy
22-06-2006, 10:47 AM
* Go right ahead believing fish don't feel pain, unless you're a fish how the hell would you truly know what they feel? Don't tell me science tells you, that's the same mob that said agent orange was harmless for years.
* The data you're so proud of is used by many, including the pros who rip the targetted species, as well as anything else unlucky enough to be in the way, out by the tonne.
*95% survival rate is a VERY generous figure, and whilst it may be true in that particular very narrow definition, it also means 5 fish in every 100 that has been caught for amusement dies as a direct result. Figures of less than 50% are also used in other narrow definitions, which are the figures that will predictably be used by said greenies.
* Don't shoot the messenger. #;D

WTF? Where are you coming from mate? Either "it also means 5 fish in every 100 that has been caught for amusement dies as a direct result" and you go back to hugging trees, or "Don't shoot the messenger" and you go fishing.

Very confused!

Jeremy

JewseeTHAT
22-06-2006, 11:42 AM
WTF it means mate, is that watching you get all bent out of shape with your defensive protestations at my playing devils advocate amuses me no end. As I stated in my first post, I fish for a FEED. I can't help the fact that you're confused, I have been very clear in my position.

PinHead
22-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Jeremy..what about the first article I put there..some British scientists state that fish can feel pain froim their research into the anatomy of fish...science is just that..constant research and theories..plus a lot of guess work.

seatime
22-06-2006, 12:28 PM
G'day

Once upon a time I wouldn't have dreamt of going fishing if it wasn't to get a feed. It used to be the only reason I fished, the sport and fun side of things came as a 'bycatch'.
These days I mainly fish from a boat and still target species to eat, but I wont get a complex if I come home empty handed. The whole experience is enjoyable if planned ahead properly. There is usually fish in the freezer, and we eat it regularly.
Utopia will be the next couple of weeks, weather permiting, we'll hit the offshore reefs and what comes home from there will be to eat.
regards.

StevenM
22-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Mainly sport for me. When I do keep a for a feed I have my own self imposed size and bag limits.

dasher
22-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Not fish'n if I can't get a feed. ::) ;D

Dannyboy
22-06-2006, 07:28 PM
I C&R most of the time but will keep a feed now and again.

Only thing wrong is there is way to much water in between me and the fish ;) ;)

banshee
22-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Two extensive studies still ongoing,one conducted by Matt Broadhurst and NSW Fisheries the other by Andrew Roland and WA fisheries have shown that fish caught and released have an excellent rate of survival,the fact that other states have size limmits says to me that their Fisheries also think that fish have a good chance of surviving release.I agree with Jeremy,to liken C&R to activities that have been outlawed in this country is just pure bullshit.

Herm
22-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Whilst enjoying the boating side of things - we love to catch a feed! # :) But needless to say - everything undersize goes back to swim another day!

We have some elderly rellies that we try an supply with a feed of fresh fish whenever we can, but only keep what we can eat fresh. #That way we have an excuse for another trip! ;)

And I don't mind a whole pan fried bream! ;)

:)Janine

jimmybob
22-06-2006, 08:19 PM
mainly after the sport.....but every now and then i like to watch the wife cook...so i will get her somthing to cook ;D....having a camera makes letting good fish go easier i think

MagicRik
23-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I fish for fun and I only do C&R.
I think that saying you only fish for a feed is full of $#&@, the reason for this is. As jewisthat said.....its no better then dog fighting, cock bla bla bla.
Can i ask you a question you say you only fish for a feed, so in saying that you mush keep every fish you land right? So then that means you think its better to keep a 60cm plus female flattie about to breed then put her back? Or kill a under size male jew that got hooked?

I was just wondering what other people think about this?

Rik

seatime
23-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I fish for fun and I only do C&R.
I think that saying you only fish for a feed is full of $#&@, #the reason for this is. As jewisthat said.....its no better then dog fighting, cock bla bla bla.
Can i ask you a question you say you only fish for a feed, so in saying that you mush keep every fish you land right? So then that means you think its better to keep a 60cm plus female flattie about to breed then put her back? Or kill a under size male jew that got hooked?

I was just wondering what other people think about this?

Rik

Hi Rik

I am one of those that are full of $#&@, whatever that is?

dog fighting? I gave that up years ago, they bite harder than I do!

cock bla bla bla, sounds to me like $#&@ envy!

And yes, I keep and eat everything that comes on board. I especially like that other, other white meat, so look out! ;) ;)

regards

p.s. lighten up, it's a forum, a public forum, remember. :)

MagicRik
23-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Im cool gelsec, What im saying is that ALL fisherman have too do C&R. Because there is no way anyone lands legal fish ever time.
And buy keeping young and ready to breed fish your doing more damage then good.
And if people think im wrong then thats cool too.
As we all have the right to say what we think.

Rik

griz066
23-06-2006, 10:27 AM
FOOOOOOOOOOOD love the stuff just cant catch enough :'(
oh well
Steak again ;)

seatime
23-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Rik, I think you're looking at it too literally. I can only speak for myself, though from what I've also gleaned from Ausfishers in general, no-one here deliberately damages the fish stock. Of course we practice C&R, but the primary motivation to go fishing, for me, is to catch a feed. That is what this thread was about IMO. You're mixing up survival catch rates with peoples personal reasons for enjoying their hobby/pastime or sport.
Sorry, I don't see the correlation. happy fishing :)

Juzo
23-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I love fishing, I love boating and I love eating fish. Having said that, I only keep fish I like to eat, enough for a feed for the family, and my neighbour who cant get out anymore.

Anything too small (my size limit is above the min, as I reckon just leagle bream and the like are still too small) go's back. If I was ever so succsessfull to catch a big arse fish (whatever species), it would go back too. I always handle the fish as little and as gently as possible, if it's being kept it's killed and iced straight away.

Have been using circle hooks more and more, and I take the barbs of all my hooks, makes it much easier to get fish off, weather they are for eatin or releasin.

Anyone know where you can get barbless hooks from. Have an American freind who reckons they are becoming available more in the US

scoota
23-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Gidday Stephen,
Personally I have a family and extended family that love fresh fish so when we go offshore we try for a good feed of quality fish and love the sport of catching them on light gear. Inshore fishing for me is C&R or maybe keep a couple of whiting the family catch who don't get a chance to come offshore with us.
Happy days....
Scoota

Owen
24-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I fish coz I can't stand the screaming every time I chop up a lettuce ;)
Don't laugh, I saw a "scientific" study on TV once that showed plants can perceive "pain", not only their own, but that of other plants and animals near them.
Had to be true, coz it was on TV ;D

If it's well above legal and I like the taste, or I haven't tried it before, then it's a dead fishy.
Otherwise they go back.

cheers,
Owen