PDA

View Full Version : Radio ops licence?

ronnieandbill
22-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi guys and Girls
This might sound stupid but--------- Would like to know if you need a licence to operate a radio up here.
Is there a course to get an amatuers radio operators licence???????????????????????
Also guys what are the call channels for VHF.
And procedures for calling for help or notifying VMR of what you're doing.
Ronnie :-/ :-/ :-/

seatime
22-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Up here? Qld? to operate and transmit on VHF radio, yes you do.
Distress and calling on ch16. But to get all the good oil you'll need to enrol in a course. Marine colleges and VMRs conduct radio courses ROCP or similar (it's been awhile).

When a couple of other members see this post they may be able to give u dates and places courses are run.
regards

Lucky_Phill
22-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Go here and have a look Ronnie.

Then pm subzero for more details.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1143548222

Cheers Phill

trueblue
22-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Call Coast Guard Redcliffe on 3203 5522 and ask when the next radio license course is.

MROCP (Marine radio operators certificate of proficiency) covers you for 27 meg, VHF, MF and HF SSB radios)

Well worth the effort, is covered over 2 weekends with some homework and an exam at the end of it.

Cheers

Mick

tunaman
23-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I have 27meg ! When are they closing it down? The chanel I mean?
And I didnt know that you needed a license for VHF. :-? :-?
And how much?

signed tunaman :-?

ronnieandbill
23-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Tunaman
I didn't know either thats why I asked.
heard they were doing away with monitoring 27 meg thats why we had vhf fitted in boat. Someone said within the next couple of years. Whether thats right but apparently its going to happen.
Ronnieh

marlinqld
23-06-2006, 07:24 PM
You need a license for VHF& UHF & HF but not 27 meg

ronnieandbill
23-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey guys

Also thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ronnieh

subzero
23-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi all, 27meg radios are still being manufactured and consequently will be monitored by those Rescue Groups who choose to monitor it. Yes, thats right, choose to monitor it. Their is no mandatory requirement for Rescue Groups to monitor 27meg radio but whilst it is still popular in MOST areas, MOST units will continue to monitor. Some Coast guard units throughout Australia have announced their intention NOT TO MONITOR 27meg Radio but as to which ones it is very hard to ascertain. (Even the National Commodore Chris Gillet cant answer the question). Locally, the boating fraternity will be aware what will be monitored or by giving them a call on the telephone first.

Other units MAY decide as older equipment gives up the ghost that it is to costly to replace the equipment with the demands placed on those Volunteer members to continually fundraise to meet fuel expenses let alone replace their ageing 27 meg radios.

Although 27meg radios are VERY GOOD, VHF are far superior.... yes you do need a license (Certificate) to operate the sets but it is well worth the small effort and the low cost to learn how to use a radio properly, it could very well save your life one day.

With regards to the not monitoring in a couple of years, I think most people get a little confused with the phasing out of the analogue 121.5/243 epirpbs to come into effect in 2008. (Which I personaly doubt will happen at that time).

Anyway, see the post http://147.202.71.34/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1151056632 for more info about a course to be held at VMR Victoria Point.

Cheers Lloyd

tunaman
24-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Why is VHS more superia to 27 meg.

signed
tunaman :D

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Hey Tunaman,

I aint stalking you, I just seem to answer alot of your questions :)

Basically:

27meg has good distance but you get alot of static and engine noise.

UHF (not commonly used in marine) goes a long distance and uses repeaters alot. (you can get repeaters for all bands but UHF is most common relating to Citizen Band type use.) UHF is very clear like digital TV. its either on or its not.

VHF is somewhat the best of both worlds. Reasonable long distance little to no engine noise problems with solaflares which is like radiation bursts from the sun effecting out atmosphere.
Excellent reception with no immediate drop out if signal is not crash hot so they will ride the static a little.

When I moved here from Sydney I got a VHF and i dont used the 27meg anymore. You can get some excellent deals on even basic models like oregon scientific which will do the trick.

Some have a thing called DSC which allows you to connect to a GPS and transmit your signal and a brief pre set message incase of emergency. This way emergency groups can find you alot faster if need be.

I dont have DSC but might look at getting a GPS so I can read co ordinates if need be.

Contact 'subzero' (Lloyd) he does a course down at Vicky Point for about $70 and make sure you take an extra $10 for a feed, they have a chef guy come in when I was there who works at that VMR who whipped up a good feed with prawns.

In summary get into VHF its well worth it.

Simmo.

ronnieandbill
25-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey tuna man
I'm sure VHS is something you watch, preferrable plugged into your tllie, while 27 meg is something you talk on.
TYPO mate but had to have a dig!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ronnieh

tunaman
25-06-2006, 07:18 PM
No worries mate. Iam surprised that no one has beaten you to the typo error. I would look really funny talking into my video recorder to get a radio check.

signed
tunaman ;D